What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with decison/opinon on these hot tubs choices  (Read 4985 times)

Judy_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Help with decison/opinon on these hot tubs choices
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:44:59 pm »
Hello again  :)
Please help ???

Going to look at hot tubs tomorrow.  Here are my choices; please give me your advice:

1. Brand new Marquis 315  $5200.0 plus tax.  5 yr, 3 yr, 1 yr warranty...warranty goes with tub.  Dealer willing to give me 80% trade in if I don't like to trade up, or if I decide just plain don't like.  110 outlet, move anywhere (my patio or basement possibly).  Dealer said we could load in pickup and take home, plug in, fill and use.

2. 2004  Deminsion Triad II..scratch n dent, never used ,full warranty 5 yr, 7 yr on shell $5495.00 plus tax (new is $8999.00) Needs 220 and would have to stay where we put it.  Delivery free (we live an hr away).. Really like the looks of the jet in this tub.

OMG there are so many choices, decisions!!  Please help with your opinions...THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Hot Tub Forum

Help with decison/opinon on these hot tubs choices
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:44:59 pm »

Judy_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Help with decison/opinon on these hot tubs cho
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 06:54:08 pm »
Also: dealer for Triad II said 110 will be costly compared to 220...what are your thoughts

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:16:46 pm »
Also: dealer for Triad II said 110 will be costly compared to 220...what are your thoughts

that is a false statement...my preference would always be 220 but 110 has upsides as well....the nice thing with the 110 if you find it does not fill your need you can covert to 220 at anytime with no cost other the running of the 220.....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 07:17:50 pm »
The 220 tub will heat faster and allow you to use have more things running at the same time. As far as cost, well there may be a little difference but not that much. A 120V tub uses a 1500 Watt heater and a 220V heater uses a 4000 to 6000 Watt heater - the 120 V takes that much longer to heat and recover and will probably shut off the heater when the pumps are on so it may be a little more "inconvienence" but that's for you to decide.

The 220 tub can be costly to get running. You'll need a separate line, breakers, GFI disconnect and lets assume that your electrical panel doesn't need to be upgraded. If it does add $1000 to $1500 for that as well.

I'm not trying to scare you but most people don't take any of that stuff into consideration.

My advice is to think about what you want in a tub. Both are good manufacturers so it really is a coin toss. Although knowing what I know ... I think the Dimension 1 dealer used a slimy approach to sell his product with the 120V comment but thats just my opinion.

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:44:43 pm »
ya the D1 dealer lost some credibility with that statement.  It will use the same energy consumption.

Judy_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 10:11:16 pm »
Thank you so very much MarKee, Vinny and Mendocino101.  I have completely ruled out the "slimy" approach dealer.  The dealer with the Marquis, said what everyone else in this forum and everywhere else I have read, re: 110 may lose a degree or two, etc.  So he was credible.  I think he is being a standup guy, so I just may be coming home with a brand new hot tub tomorrow!

I just love the internet!  What did we do with out it?  So much easier to be an informed consumer with so many people like yourselves.  Thank you again.  Will keep you posted 8)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 10:58:07 pm »
Your welcome .....You really cannot go wrong with the Marquis....of course I have a bias as I am a dealer for them but they are as good as any you will find with only a small number of other makers who top to bottom are on par with them.....lol.....now notice I did not say they are the only good maker.... ;)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 11:01:07 pm »
Judy
are you getting the "ultimate package" for that price...if so one option you do have if you are ordering a spa is the a larger pump upgrade at no cost but you will than have to run 220.....

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 11:30:34 pm »
Marquis is a good tub definately.

Something to condsdier though, on 110v I don't believe you can run the jets and heater at the same time, meaning that when you're in the tub with the jets on, you are losing temperature. Not a big deal for most people who use the tub for 15 minutes at a time and for 1-2 people, but if you're planning on using it alot or entertaining a lot it's something to conider.

I'm not sure if that's the case for all brands of tubs but at least it is for ours. I say if you can go 220v do it.

Judy_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 11:56:51 pm »
Thank you very much everyone you have been most helpful.  It just dawned on me that I am not buying a tv and the dealer may have to order my tub, and not just stock everything (if I decide to get the Marquis) :-[  LOL you can definately tell I am a newbie!  I have been flooded with so many decisions and information, that my brain wasn't fully functioning.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 01:10:41 am »
Marquis is a good tub definately.

Something to condsdier though, on 110v I don't believe you can run the jets and heater at the same time, meaning that when you're in the tub with the jets on, you are losing temperature. Not a big deal for most people who use the tub for 15 minutes at a time and for 1-2 people, but if you're planning on using it alot or entertaining a lot it's something to conider.

I'm not sure if that's the case for all brands of tubs but at least it is for ours. I say if you can go 220v do it.

I do not think it matters on the brand at all "electrical" law and how many amps you can run with 110 pretty much dictate that the heater or jets on high but never both at the same time... again regardless of who makes the tub.....

sandiego

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 02:54:32 pm »
I do not think it matters on the brand at all "electrical" law and how many amps you can run with 110 pretty much dictate that the heater or jets on high but never both at the same time... again regardless of who makes the tub.....

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to go off spouting about another brand and have someone tell me I'm wrong.

sandiego

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 02:56:19 pm »
Marquis has a wondeful reputation.

I have my hot tub on 110 and have had no problems. Won't heat while jets are running, but that is ok for me.

I was quoted $2,450 to run 220. that ain't gonna happen.

$2420 to runn 220V? Did you need to upgrade your panel? That's unheard of. Most 220v costs between $300-$700 to run that's at the standard rate of $6.00 per/ft

If you really want to get 220v I would get another quote. I've had many customers come in telling me an electrician told them they needed to upgrade their panel, but when I sent my preffered electrcian out, he said they didn't need to and ran their 220v line for them at the normal rate.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 03:21:15 pm »
My sister in law bought a floor model D1 Triad II.  I'm not sure if it's 220.   They very much enjoy it.  In fact, there enthusiasm rubbed off on us and got us to the spa showroom.

Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Brookenstein

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 04:35:31 pm »
I had 4 bids for electrical.  $685, $750, $1100, and $1500.  I did not have to upgrade the panel, but I had a very long run (over 100 ft).  What I found is that 'spa' electricians are much cheaper than general electricians.  The $1100 and $1500 bids were both 'friends' with their own business and the other 2 were spa guys associated with various stores.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 04:35:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42