What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Freaking Out  (Read 6995 times)

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
Newbie Freaking Out
« on: June 01, 2006, 09:16:24 am »
Alright, bought a new tub last week, it is supposed to come tomorrow and I am starting to get freaked out over costs and conflicting information.

1.  The dealer told me like $100 to run electric to it, I thought closer to $200, estimate yesterday was $495, plus I need to upgrade service and panel for $975 (not that dealer should have known that).  That's $1500 just to power up the tub, ouch!

2.  Dealer said to have the tub delivered prior to running electric, and that the electric can be run through either of two sides.  Electrician said it has to be conduit up through the pad under the tub and enter tub floor through a knock-out, so electric before tub.

3.  Dealer said use the plastic handi-pads on dirt for a base, from reading on this site and calculating the weight I feel I need to at least put 4 or 5" of gravel underneath, if not a concrete pad.

4.  Several folks have told me hot tubs are more $ to run and maintain than a pool and I'm going to faint when I get me electric bill.  Now I'm scared the electric bill is going to go through the roof, not to mention chemicals.

So, can anybody set my soul at ease on rough monthly costs for chemicals, electricity (I know these costs will vary by tub, location, but a general cost will be nice)how/when to run electric, and feedback on a base?  And more so just hug me and tell me it will all be worth it.

P.S. As of right now I'm going to bump the delivery a week or two, do the pad with 5" gravel and hand-pads, and get the service upgrade and electric run.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie Freaking Out
« on: June 01, 2006, 09:16:24 am »

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Newbie Freaking Out
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 09:27:06 am »
What did you buy? Does the tub require 110 or 220 electrical service?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 09:39:03 am »
Upgrading the base with some compacted gravel for the plastic pad makes sense to me.

What tub did you buy? Where are you located? Electrical costs can be anywhere from $25-60 a month depending on the quality and insualtion of the tub, how often you use it, and the enviroment it's in.

You will make an inital investment in chemicals.  I spent $150 to get set up (Dichlor, shock, foam down, filter cleaner, clariefer, defender, test strips, PH adustet, 707 protectant,  etc),  but on usuage, I'd have to say  on average  I use about $20 per month on chems. )  

Don't freak out.  Relax.  

;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 09:42:25 am »
OK PENN Fan,

Take a CHILL! It will be OK....

First, welcome to the board and I hope things will go OK for you. Regardless of all these little "issues," trust me when I say they will ALL go AWAY once you get in that tub.

Your dealer should have known about the electricity. Unless you have 200 AMP service, running the house HVAC and spa at the same time just ain't happening. On the bright side, the $1,500 price for changing service is not bad, in fact it's on the LOW side.

The electrician is giving you GOOD advice about approaching with power from below. I've had it both ways and feeding from beneath the tub is the best way to go. Another option is to conduit up from the ground, install a junction box and then conduit in from the box to the side of the tub. If you do this, sooner or later you will smack the crap out of your foot or toe on it.

I'd go with the concrete pad for the tub. In the long run it's the most stable base, minimizes the amount of dirt going in the tub and makes things a WHOLE lot nicer. The "plastic pad" finish just won't look right and eventually you won't be happy with it.

Finally, YES spas can be expensive, especially in cold climates and if you run them a LOT. But, I think most people will agree with me that 30 minutes a day of use and an occasional bash will average between $35 to $50 a month max for electricity. I'm a heavy user and I'm estimating about $65 a month currently.

So, grab both arms, wrap them around yourself, squeeze REAL hard and say "I'll make it through this, I'll make it through this, I'll make it through this...." You'll be watching college football from your spa this year before ya know it...

TRUST me, it's WORTH it.....

Peace and Hot Water....

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 09:54:27 am »
Once again Drewski is the educated voice of reason.  :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 09:55:43 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 09:54:35 am »
Sounds like a good deal for the electric run.  My run of 110 feet cost $800 without a new pannel.  My electric bill has gone up by $10 - $15 per month over the past year and I use the tub 5 times a week.  Chemicals cost me about $20 per month.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 09:55:08 am by marks »

nicker

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 10:00:09 am »
Yes it can be overwhelming at first but do not worry.   Your initial set up cost can very depending who's doing the work and if you can jump in and do any of it your self.  But a good base is what you will need.  Either the plastic base you canbuy and yes I would somthing under it.  But I have seen people use sand 3-4 inches.  Or a concrete pad...or even a very strong deck.  As for monthly costs it does very.  Depends on hydro costs in your area (where do you live).   Size of tub amount of use etc etc.  Chemicals I find are cheap.  I have never actually figured them out but I am at most $150.00 per year.  And if you do have a pool some of them you can use on both.    In my area (Ontario Canada) it gets fairly cold in the winter I bet at most I have paid is $25.00 mth extra for the tub. Summer I don't notice it but we have air too.  ANd I use the tub allot!

Just relax and take a breath.  Again your inital out may be higher then you thought.  

Nitlion15

• Be vewry vewry quiet, I'm hunting Spa's.....
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:42:45 am »
Fellow Penn Stater,

Welcome and relax.  It will be o.k.

I think the advice you are getting from the experienced people on this site is great.  A year ago I was in the same position as you as a newbie looking for information.  I can say that the advice give out on this board is very good and helped me very much.

I would go with a concrete pad.  In the long run it will look much better and provide something that you will enjoy for the long run.  The extra money you spend on it now is well worth it.  

Go Lions.....

96SC

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 11:15:51 am »
While we are somewhat on electrical, are any of you aware of 'codes' for how far or near the Ground Fault box can be near the spa?  I realize codes differ from county to county let alone east coast to west coast.  We are hoping to install our spa in increments so the big financial hit isn't all at once.  (install the gound fault box, build a deck, install the spa, finish the electric,do some landscaping, put in a sidewalk, etc.).  Do any of you have any knowledge of such codes or just good 'ol recommendations on how far to keep the two.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 11:34:10 am »
I always heard more than 5 feet and less than 50 ft.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 01:03:23 pm »
The ground fault interrupter device can be located in the main electrical panel or in the electrical disconnect box.  A means of electrical disconnection (i.e., electrical disconnect box) must be provided no closer than 5 feet from the edge of the tub and no more than 50 feet and must be within line of sight of the tub's electrical equipment (i.e., you must be able to see someone approach the disconnect box if you are working on the tub's electrical equipment).  HTH..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 01:21:38 pm »
I'll address the Handi-Pad question....I placed my tub (Marquis Reward) on a Handi-Pad 3 years ago and have had no problems.  The proper procedure is to use course sand (construction grade NOT sandbox sand) and lay down an inch to inch and a half layer of sand to give a level surface.  Level it with a long straight 2x4 and a 3 ft level.  Place the pads on the sand (it will take 2 people) and you are set.  Its much easier and cheaper than concrete.and has not moved through 3 "snow belt" winters"

I had the electrician call my dealer and make sure he was putting in the right wiring and when the tub was delivered all he did was hook it up

Good luck

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 01:32:18 pm »
I'm familiar with 2 seperate EZ pad spas, both in the snowbelt, one going on 5 years, the other just past 3.
Both pads look ok to me.  Neither have shifted.  
And the spas cover almost the whold pad- doesn't look any better or worse to me than concrete.  

The 5'/50' rule quoted for your disconnect is correct.  Not that it may matter in your situation, but the distance is from the water, not the outside cabinet of the spa.  

Houses with less than 100 amp electrical service just may require a service upgrade- and it's not just a bigger panel, it could also require them putting in feeds that can carry higher current.  $1500 isn't out of line for such work.  But it makes the $60 extra I paid when we built our house to go to 200 amp service look like an extreme bargain.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 01:35:52 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 01:46:56 pm »
I live in Pittsburgh, home of the Super Bowl champs I might add (hey, you only get a year to gloat).  We plan to use the tub in the winter since everyone seems to rave about it.  

The tub is 220, our house is 75 years old and although we are lucky to have a breaker panel for a house that age it is maxed out and has a couple subpanels off it already, hence the redo on the panel, probably makes sense for the future to do it.  Oh well, the joys of home ownership.

As far as the Ground Fault box our electrician said no closer than 5 feet and no more than 25 and with line of sight in between.

Finally, as far as the tub, it's a Viking Legacy II.  Got lost in comparing the minutia of different tubs and when it got down to it it really seemed to be the best value by far of what we saw and had a close large dealer we're sure will be around for a while.  Got suckered in by the candy though (LED's, waterfall, stereo).

Thanks for setting me at ease all, rick_in_cleveland you probably have a similar climate, electric costs to me what does your tub run you on electric (forget I'm a Steeler fan for a minute).

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 02:03:25 pm »
I live in Pittsburgh, home of the Super Bowl champs I might add (hey, you only get a year to gloat). .

Booooo.  ;)

Go Pats!  ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 02:03:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42