What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used hot tub adventure, with pics *Update 6.2.06*  (Read 12519 times)

Vanguard

Re: Used hot tub adventure, with pics *Update 4.30
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 12:09:33 am »
Before you buy a breaker box from just anyone, make sure Hot Spring didn' t have a breaker box specifically made for their spas back then.

Hot Spring Spas now use a special breaker that is different than other spas.  Not any breaker will work.  That is part of the reason they include the box with their 220 models.  

The HSS dealers on here will know for sure.  They have a computer program that can tell them that stuff for older spas.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 12:09:33 am »

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 12:29:22 am »
Thanks for the help on the year... serial is K 211081, so this thing is quite a bit older than I thought (1st quarter 1991, right poolboy?).  Must have slipped the owner's mind due to all those years of trouble free operation ;).  Still, both the heaters and pumps were replaced fairly recently, and the thing really has held up well.  And, much to my surprise, it is 'pre-plumbed for ozone' in the cabinet, so I could always add that in with a minimum of fuss.

Cabinet turned out well, I am pleased for the minimal effort I put in.  Assuming all goes well and it works, then maybe next year I'll take the time to sand it down/powerwash it and get it looking much better.

I did end up going with the contractor today, he came in much lower than other estimates and had examples of all his work.  I opted for the slab for a few reasons, one of which is that I may well add an addition over it in a couple of years.  I'm getting additional support around the edges of the slab to account for that in the future.  I took "before" pics today, I'll post them with the "after" when the slab is done, hopefully Saturday if the weather cooperates.

Allowing for slab work and concrete cure, I could be in hot water in as little as two weeks.   :D

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 03:35:44 pm »
All the bricks are gone, site excavated and crushed stone laid and tamped with the forms in place.  If the weather holds and we don't get rain, the concrete is scheduled to come Saturday morning.

I'm planning on giving it a week to cure before setting the hot tub on it.  That means I have to start buying chemicals soon.  Should I just buy one of those all-in-one Leisure Time kits to get me started?  Or should I just buy everything separately?  I'm planning on using chlorine to start, probably with Nature2.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 07:27:11 pm »
For nature2, you'll need to locate which standpipe is for the circ. pump. If it's not hollow you'll need to get a retro standpipe.
Ozone does plumb into the 3/4" line, AFTER the heater. You'll need a specific ozone, so if you want one, we'll direct you to what you need.
You'll need two gfci breakers, (1)220v,20amp, (1)220v, 30amp. Use the neutral from the 20amp breaker.
Square plate at wiring/junction box should have a diagram on it.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 07:38:43 pm »
We made a wooden box form of 2x6 and filled it with 4 inches of gravel and sand. We then used those cheap concrete pavers.  Solid as a rock and considerably cheaper than concrete.

But might be the same amount of work....
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 03:41:19 pm »
Allowing for slab work and concrete cure, I could be in hot water in as little as two weeks.   :D

[size=18]UPDATE[/size]

Well - it was really more like 4, but here's "the rest of the story".

The old patio looked thus, very not-nice:

So they ripped it up, widened it a bit and put down some stone.  Better already.  

A little wire mesh and some extra rebar for strength.  

Concrete's here!  I love the apple trees in the spring, but they only last about a week like that.  

Of course it rained!  

But it still turned out nice.  

Put the hot tub down there, used the PVC roller trick, piece of cake with just 3 guys.  (Thanks for the suggestion, whoever that was.)  

Hmm... it's not working?

Oh yeah, POWER.  

I also got him to put in a 115V GFI outside plug.  Thanks a ton for that suggestion.  

My very first test strip!  

And the finished product.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:50:54 pm by mattNY »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Used hot tub adventure, with pics *Update 6.2.
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 03:53:46 pm »
Get in that Tub Matt!

Hope you enjoy it for years!

And get a cover lifter too!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:55:00 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 05:09:52 pm »
How far is that electrical box from the spa?......... And ah, can you run flexable conduit across what might be considered a walkway? Careful with the lawn mower  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:10:38 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 06:15:01 pm »
Beats me Doc - my electrician does all the installs for one of the local spa places, so he is supposed to be an expert.  I'd say the box is just a little over 5 feet from the water, it is close.

Filled the spa at 2 pm, it was at 64 degrees.  4 hours later, it's at 87, woohoo!  Getting up there.  It's supposed to have a 24 hour circ pump, but if it's running I *cannot* hear it.

Brookenstein

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 09:07:01 pm »
Do you have any air bubbles coming up?  I don't think I hear my circ pump either, but I always have air bubbles coming up in the middle once the power is on.

My disconnect is pretty close to my tub too... but they did run it underground and pop it up right next to the pad.  It is hidden by my lovely ferns.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 09:53:12 pm »
you won't hear the 24-hour pump, unless there's something wrong with it. The circ pump return/inlet is located near the cooldown seat. That spa should heat at about 7-10 degrees an hour. Looks great. Great story. We have hundreds of reconditioned hotspring spa stories of our own. Just last week, we delivered a pre-owned 1986 hotspring classic. It's now on it's 4th owner.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2006, 01:31:21 am »
An '86?  Wow!  That is amazing.  I really am astounded by how good of shape it's in for its age, my electrician commented on it as well.  (I think he has a '95 or '96.)

I went to a dinner and a movie with friends, and (of course) they brought their bathing suits and came over afterwards.  I didn't think it'd be ready, but it was 101 degrees already at 10:30 pm and 3 ppm chlorine.  It was great - everything I was hoping for.  They left and I went back in for another half hour by myself.

By the way, for those who are interested and might be looking into such things myself, here was my cost outlay:
Used hot tub, Craigslist: $600 (I had to buy it within hours)
Disconnect Box: $189 after tax (thanks Chas and others for guidance on pricing)
Move: "Free" (but a big pain)
No cover lifter, no steps - I'll have to get those as well.
Cedar toner, paintbrush, dropcloth: About $30 at Lowes
Electrician, 220V hookup with separate 115V outlet: $488
12' x 16' Patio: $1500

I am pretty happy overall.  I'm a young guy and don't have a ton of cash, and this was a cheap way for me to start.  None of the dealers around me offered used tubs, I would have jumped on something like that in a heartbeat if I had that option.  

It's out there now, waiting for me tomorrow - woohoo!

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2006, 01:13:35 pm »
Great pictures Matt. Enjoy :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2006, 01:13:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42