What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used hot tub adventure, with pics *Update 6.2.06*  (Read 12552 times)

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
Used hot tub adventure, with pics *Update 6.2.06*
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:54:18 pm »
Hi everyone!
I've been a lurker here and at the other forums for some time.  I really appreciate all the advice and good info. from the boards (not to mention the fun!).  I found a used tub on Craigslist about a week ago and didn't think much would come of it, but it turned out I ended up buying it that same day and moved it the next (with a bunch of guys and a pickup, that was an adventure in itself).  Anyway, I always like how East TX Spa does his photo excursions, and I thought I'd throw up just a few pics in like fashion.

The tub is a Hot Springs Highline, owner said around 8 years old so I'm guessing it's a 1998 or thereabouts.  I got it quite cheap and it's in nice shape considering, though the cabinet is quite weathered.  It was fully operational when I removed it, they just don't use it much anymore since they're snowbirds and they're in FLA 6 months out of the year now.  I'm in a holding pattern right now getting estimates on concrete slabs and still need to buy the GFCI breaker box (which the previous owner didn't want removed), so the tub is sitting safe and sound in the garage.

Here's the inside after I cleaned it this weekend with some shell cleaner:  

Not a lot of fancy jets, but I just wanted a starter tub anyway.  (Hot swirly water is good enough for me!)

As I said, the cabinet is quite weathered at the moment:  

So I'm going to refinish it to help the looks and protect the wood.  

Here's the side I started on:

Half done:

Aaand here's what the cabinet looks like now:

Two of the sides were ok, two were pretty beat up with water stains so I washed those with House Wash (helps to remove stains and mildew).  I'll finish the cabinet up this week.  Still getting concrete estimates on the patio, and found another Hot Springs dealer out of town that has the breaker for a reasonable price.  ($350 seems insane to me, and even the electrian that does their installs thought it was really high.)

Will update as things progress.  :D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:48:29 pm by mattNY »

Hot Tub Forum

Used hot tub adventure, with pics *Update 6.2.06*
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:54:18 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Used hot tub adventure, with pics
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:21:31 am »
If it's not too late, ask the previous owner if you can just take the breakers. The box itself can stay, and any other breakers which might be running other things can sure stay.

The box itself shouldn't cost you more than $30 - it's those pesky breakers which cost body parts.

I never sand older tubs like that anymore. I have my wife do it....

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

shabba34

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:24:35 am »
The tub is a Hot Springs Highline, owner said around 8 years old so I'm guessing it's a 1998 or thereabouts.  
Not a lot of fancy jets, but I just wanted a starter tub anyway.  (Hot swirly water is good enough for me!)

The model is a Highlife, and most likely 94-96 model. ;)  Congrats, and enjoy.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:03:18 am »
Congrats and welcome to the club. !
07 Caldera Geneva

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:04:13 am »
You can find out exactly what year is was made by looking in the motor compartment at the serial number.  
Measure once, cut twice.

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 05:01:20 pm »
If it's not too late, ask the previous owner if you can just take the breakers. The box itself can stay, and any other breakers which might be running other things can sure stay.

That was my plan, but the owner wouldn't let me take them.  I think it's a combination of "don't touch it, I don't really know how it works so just leave it" and the fact that he might want a new hot tub at some point in the future (or it's a selling point when he sells the house, "hot tub ready").  

If any dealers would be willing to give me an idea on pricing for the GFCI boxes (with a 30A and a 20A breaker), I'd appreciate it, I realize they're normally bundled with the tubs, but I'm getting some wildly different quotes to buy it separately.

It is the Highlife, thanks for the correction  :) And if it's 10+ years old, it's definitely held up well, the shell is in great shape, I'm impressed!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 07:17:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing, I'm sure the forum will be looking forward to updates.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 08:25:11 pm »
If any dealers would be willing to give me an idea on pricing for the GFCI boxes (with a 30A and a 20A breaker), I'd appreciate it, I realize they're normally bundled with the tubs, but I'm getting some wildly different quotes to buy it separately.
$195 plus tax and shipping.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 09:37:16 pm »
When we were building the addition for our spa I bought a 60A Spa Panel for $79.83 at Lowes.  It came with a 60A GFCI Breaker and had space for 2 or 3 additional breakers if you wanted to add some extra outlets, lights, etc.  But it wouldn't a good idea to put anything else with a big draw (motor or heater) off the 60A breaker.  I ran a second 20a line from the main to a 20A breaker in this box then to my exhaust fan and a few lights.

What cost was the #6 wire: 80 feet @ $1.77 per foot = $141.60.

Since this panel is located in the basement below the tub, I added a shut off in the tub room.  It's just a box with a big switch that is embedded in the wall.  It only sticks out about an inch and I framed if with trim.  It hardly noticeble unless you are looking for it.

One thing we learned about the code.  The wire that goes into the spa, whether it comes direct from the breaker panel or from a downline switch must have an insulated ground wire.  Most are bare but our local code requires it be insulated for spas.  Check your local code.  This is realtively new here and if I hadn't hired the electrical instructor at the local Vo-tech, it might be wrong today.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 09:45:18 pm »
plenty of folk to help you with that highlife. You'll be real happy with it.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 01:59:24 am »
[size=18]UPDATE[/size]

Progress thus far:
Finished staining the cabinet this weekend (business trip delayed it).  Here's a couple of shots half-done, I'll have to take the "finished" shots tomorrow:

I took the trip back to Syracuse on Easter weekend and the dealer there sold the breaker box to me for $175 plus tax.  (With just a little nudge - they were going to charge me $260 until I brought up the fact that I called ahead and they told me $175.  Cmon, guys.  Seriously.)  A far sight cheaper than the $350 the crappy rip-off dealer was going to charge me (which is how I refer to them now to all my friends and acquaintences).

I got two concrete estimates, both were more than double the estimate I got last year.  I called, concrete has gone up, but I can still get 3 cubic yards delivered for $395, and 2 yards of crushed stone for $140, which is more than enough to do a 12 x 16 patio.  I'd rather not do it myself if I can get a reasonable price, I have another guy coming tomorrow that was referred by a contractor friend of mine, so we'll see what happens on that front.

So, the spa is cleaned, exterior is stained, I got protectant wipes for the cover, I bought the breaker box, my electrician is ready to go when I am.  Once the patio is done, I just need to set the tub in place and call the electrician and I'm good to go.  I think I'm pretty set on Nature2 and dichlor, but I haven't bought chemicals yet.  Does anyone have any tips on what I could soak the filters in to clean them?  Or is it sufficient to just hose them off.

Also, I looked in the equipment cabinet today, I saw the serial #, motor ratings, and all kinds of other info. but nothing that would indicate the year it was made.  Any other thoughts?  Not that it really matters, just curious.

Thanks for all the help.  I'm having fun as the project progresses, but I just keep looking up late at night when the stars are out and thinking "what a night for a hot tub."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 02:03:34 am by mattNY »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Used hot tub adventure, with pics *Update 4.30
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 09:05:53 am »
Post the serial number and we'll tell you the year.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 10:10:14 am »
Regarding your question about soaking the filters: It's been recommended to me to soak them in some filter cleaning solution (easy to find).

Rinse them good.  

Being that this is a used tub, you might want to buy a new set of filters.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 01:33:12 pm »
to use Nature2, you'll need the hollow upgrade standpipe. Think I know where to find it right away. ;D

Don't NEED a slab for that spa.

Filters: Soak em/ or  Dishwasher with soap, no dry/heat cycle at end.

Serial number for Highlife tells the year.

K-231442 k=highlife, 2=2nd qtr, 3=1993, rest is production

OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 03:50:40 pm »
Lay the concrete if you want to, but I opted for something other than concrete.

We made a wooden box form of 2x6 and filled it with 4 inches of gravel and sand. We then used those cheap concrete pavers.  Solid as a rock and considerably cheaper than concrete.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 03:50:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42