What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Desparate for help:need everyone's opinion  (Read 4081 times)

Judy_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Desparate for help:need everyone's opinion
« on: June 01, 2006, 06:45:33 pm »
Hi

I am looking into a hot tub or whirlpool bathtub for medical reasons.  I have fibromyalgia and need something for my severe aches. I am totally in an area I know NOTHING about LOL

1. Cost of hot tub vs whirlpool tub: will whirpool tub cost more than a hot tub eventually b/c you have to fill it every time you want to use it? Pay for sewer, for water going out, even if it just plain water of course. Cost of chemicals/upkeep? Have a screened in patio that I could put 2-3 person hot tub in (I think, or in basement)

2. Looking at a Hot Sp. Spa (used) Jettsetter 2003 model (2-3 person) for $3,900.00.  Need to find out if cover included/installation free or for a fee.  Can be 110 or 220 per articles I have read. 1 yr free financing...easier for me to pay..not a rich person

3.  New business owner in town will be selling brand new L.A. Spa  called Allure III around $3,500.00.  Cover extra around $250.00.  Installation around $500 extra.  Needs 220.  Need to pay when purchased.

4. Whirlpool tub: have very small house & would have to put in unfinshed basement, in large storage area or laundy room (no money to remodel).

I am at my wits end. I value all of your expertise.

Thank you so very much for responding

Hot Tub Forum

Desparate for help:need everyone's opinion
« on: June 01, 2006, 06:45:33 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Desparate for help:need everyone's opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:11:41 pm »
The Jetsetter sounds like a wonderful way to go. It is a proven performer - I have sold that brand for close to 20 years.

You can run it 110 volts, but be sure you have a dedicated 20 amp outlet. That simply means that the outlet is supplied by a 20 amp breaker - test it yourself: just find which breaker turns off the outlet you plan to use, and see if it says "20" on it or not. If you want to change to 220 later you can, but most don't since the things work well either way. Oh, and see if other large appliances share that same breaker - you want just the spa pretty much.

As far as usefullness, I would always bet on a spa over a jetted tub. That little bit of time you have to wait for a tub to fill - and then the fiddling with the hot and cold to get it at temp and KEEP it at temp is more hassle than you think - until it's too late to go back.

Also, having that much room in a bathtub isn't likely unless you spend far more on a remodel of the bathroom - and don't forget that if you upsize the tub, you had better upsize the water heating unit, or go tankless.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:48:58 pm »
Judy S...I have fibromyalgia also to the point of disability.  I was diagnosed in 1994, so I've been dealing with it for a long time.  

I am ashamed to say that I don't use my hot-tub like I should.  We have a Marquis Epic and it is a GREAT therapy tub.  That's primarily why we bought it and we looked at a lot of hot-tubs.  I will tell you that when I use the hot-tub it really does help.  As you know, mornings are the worse and if I use it in the morning it does help me get thru the day better.

Not pushing any one brand over another because it really comes down to personal opinion, but stick with the top manufacturers like, HotSprings, Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, etc.  Marquis also has a hot-tub comparable to the Jetsetter.

Good luck with your choice and nice to meet another FM person.
2005 Marquis Epic

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:50:17 pm »
Not sure what a jetsetter goes for new but that seems a bit pricey for a used one unless it is coming from a dealer and has been checked out and has at least a little bit of warranty attached.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Judy_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:06:54 pm »
Thank you Chas, you bring up very good points re: whirlpool tub.  Waht is your opinion on the price for the 2003 Jettsetter?

Cappykat, it is very nice to meet another FMS sufferer.  I am new to FMS, so I am not to the point (yet and hope to never be) that it is disabling, but my aches are so bad I dream of a hot tub, even though I never had much interest before.

tanstaffl2, I thought the Jetsetter seemed pretty high also.  It only has a 30 or 60 day warranty, and it is a Hot Srpings Spa dealer.  My sister bought a used one (7-8 person?) from the same dealer a year ago and seems very happy.

Thank you  all for your responses.  I am leaning towards the Jetsetter again, but 2 hrs ago I was leaning towards the LA Spa and the whirlpool too, so ask me in another 2 hrs LOL.

I hope people who read this will add their 2 cents because I really need all the help I can on which way to go :)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 09:18:56 pm »
Hi Judy,  It took me almost 3 years to convince my husband that the best therapy for me would be hot water. I have Lyme Disease. It is a tick born disease and many of the symptoms are similar to  fibromyalgia. I first thought, like you that a jetted whirlpool would work. I also thought that the basement would be the place to locate the tub since I couldn't afford to completely destroy a bathroom (also means losing the shower over the tub). Then the issue of soaking for any period of time came up and it is expensive to keep refilling the tub to keep it hot. (I think there are models that have heaters though). Then I imagined soaking in a tub in the basement...and I realized that I might be inclined to tolerate the pain rather than sit in the basement in a bathtub! Plus you would have the issue of the humidity and how to vent it out.
Finally after a lot of research (and much help from the folks on here), I started seriously looking at a hot tub.
The more I learned about hot tubs, the more I realized that the benifits should be shared with my family. My husband has always had problems sleeping and he works in a stressful job. My kids are teenagers and I thought the tub would give us a special place to share quality time (especially in the winter during the school year). My oldest son is an athlete and works on a farm and he comes home really tired and sore. So finally we bought our tub.  I can honestly say it is one of the best investments that we have ever made. My husband sleeps like a baby and is completely addicted to the tub. He claims that on stressful days, he just imagines soaking under the stars and that gets him through the day. My kids love the tub in the winter and we have enjoyed many nights together watching meteror showers or having family discussions. I know though that I have benifited the most. I honestly feel better than I have in years. I am not arthritic or sore or stiff. I can sleep well at night. I have my health back and I believe it is because of the benefit of soaking in hot water!   Like Cappy, I also have a Marquis Epic, which is a very large tub . I started out however,  just like you, wanting a bathtub! I would tell you to think about your purchase and buy a name brand hot tub from a reputable dealer (forget the bathtub) You don't want stress or aggrivation from something that is supposed to be helping you feel better.  If you have a Marquis dealer near you, check out the Hideaway Tubs. They are reasonably priced and from personal experience, I can tell you Marquis is a wonderful company.  Good luck and keep us posted! ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Judy_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 09:58:08 pm »
Thank you bonniebell.

I checked out the Marquis line and emailed the company (a dealer an hour away) for information and pricing, etc.  I am not sure I like their 2 person hideaway, I like the fact that you can recline in a Jettsetter, but am willing to gather information.  I just don't have the room for a larger (5 or 6) person hot tub. I think I am with you and Chas on forgetting the whirlpool tub idea.

I am gong to call the Hot Springs Spa dealer (1/2 hr away) and ask more questions on the used Jettsetter tub he has for sale such as installation fees, requirements, etc and possibly go see their spas on Saturday.

Thank you everyone for your imput
And if you are reading this, and you haven't given any imput please do!  Esp need help on the price of the used 2003 Jettsetter...is that a fair price at $3,900???  (live in Iowa btw)

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:26:05 pm »
Check out a Marquis 315.  It would be perfect for you and you could probably buy a brand new one for not much more than that 2 year old jetsetter.  The Marquis dealer may have a deal on a trade in 315, Spirit, or Oasis, it wouldn't hurt to contact them and ask.  I have had many customers with fibromyalgia find relief in their spa.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 09:13:55 am »
HI Judy,

Although I do not have a medical condition, I am led to belive that a hot tub would be better than a whirlpool bath.  A hot tub is deeper, will provide significantly better therapy, the water is heated, has a filtering system and is designed to be sanitized and kept clean.  IT will always be ready for you, and provide significantly supereroir therapy.

Bath whirplools are notorious for being small, and overpriced. Bacteria in the lines is a major concern (they have no filter, and stagnant water in the lines after the tub is drained is a breeding ground for bacteria). If you need to repair a motor in a whirl pool tub, many times, the pump is inaccesable.

Overall I belive a quality hot tub will give you much more comfort, therapy and even enjoyment.  Very much more.

Cost wise, a quality new tub will start in the low $6k and can go well over $10K. Most folks around herre seem to be in the $8K range for a brand new, quaility 6 person spa. You can get into some lower end models for less than $6K. (Smaller units, or ones that run on 110v). I

As you already know there can be used ones to be had if you are willing to look around, and do your home work   A quality hot tub will last for many many years. And provide therapy and great relaxing space for you and friends.

Also, keep in mind  you will need an electrican,  ($500) and a pad to put the tub on .

Idealy, a 220v system is prefered, this allows you to run the heater and the pumps at the same time (Critical if you are placing the tub outside and live in a cold climate.)

Dollar for dollar, a hot tub will give many many times  more bang for the buck.

Given that, I'd have to say, stay away from the LA spa. It's a low end unit. Stick with a quality manufactuer (hot spring, Sundance, Caldera, Aretiesian, Tiger River, dimension 1, plus there are many more)

Shop around. read up. ask questions. Don't buy on impulse.   Take a wet test and you'll begin to see what everyone is talking about.

Many dealers offer finaincing, and many folks also secure thier own loans through banks and home equity lines.

Buy quality. Wet test several tubs.  Ask. Ask. Ask. Wet test. Wet test and Wet Test.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:20:54 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 10:46:52 am »
Judy,

Also think carefully where you will place the tub. Stairs leading to an unfinished basement might be tough if you are having a bad ache day.

hymbaw

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 11:19:44 am »
Judy,

I'm sure the HS dealers will correct me if I'm wrong ;) I think the Jetsetter should be $5500 - $6000 new, same ballpark as the Sundance Metro.

For under $4000 new, you might want to check out the Sundance Tacoma or HS Solana.

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 11:43:26 am »
Random thoughtss on whirlpool tub vs. spa.

My wife has arthritis and installed the whirlpool tub first, mainly because of the cost.  It did offer her some relief but the jet positioning wasn't good enough, in her case, to offer the therapy she needed.  Check a variety of whirlpool tubs and see if the number and positioning of jets is adequate.  She gets some relief from the tub, but loves the spa (her words).   It is much less expensive to purchase and maintain a whirlpool tub than a spa.  We have both.  You might check into a couple of hotels with  Jacuzzi suites and see if they work for you.

Bath whirlpools are smaller than a spa but generally are only designed for one.  We have never had a problem with bacteria in the lines.  If you use the tub with the jets on, there is no reason for water to get stagnant.  No need for a filter either as the water is changed at each use.  We have had ours for 5 years with no problems.  As long as it is installed with thought given to service, then access to pumps and plumbing should not be an issue.  Same hold true for spas.

Hope this helps.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Salty_Ag

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 02:11:57 pm »
You might want to look at the Dimension 1 "Seville" and "Triad II".  These are smaller tubs (3 to 5 seats) and have a unique neck flex pillow (with four jets) that is adjustable up and down and each of the four jets in the pillow are adjustable as well.  Best of luck in your search.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 02:11:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42