What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Young Age Limit  (Read 11293 times)

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
Young Age Limit
« on: May 29, 2006, 11:42:38 am »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is an age under which a child should not be in a hot tub (with supervision, of course).  My concern is mostly the temperature of the water but there may be other factors I haven't thought of.

I have some friends with toddlers and was wondering if anyone knew?  

Thanks.
'06 Majesta

Hot Tub Forum

Young Age Limit
« on: May 29, 2006, 11:42:38 am »

rocket

• Life is good!
Re: Young Age Limit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:44:21 am »
I kept my son out of the hot tub until he was 2.

I still limited his time to 10 min. when I let him in and ofcourse, temp. of the water is a factor.

Brookenstein

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 11:50:16 am »
We've had the tub since my youngest was 18 mo.  THe kids only get in the tub about once a week or so and the temp is usually 99-100.  I know when I took parenting classes back in the day, I was told baths had to be 100 or cooler and that is also the temp on childrens bath thermometers, so I feel comfortable with them in the spa at that temp.  Like Gombo we make sure they have drinks.  With the little one we have him sit out for 2 minutes about every 10 minutes just to be safe.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:33:41 pm »
One of the dealers mentioned something about they don't recommend children under the age of 4 to use the hot tub.

I would think so long as you use your brain, you'll be fine.  

I have a child that will turn 3 next month and she loves the hot tub (usually the temp is 97/98 ish and she spends half the time getting in and out).
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 10:19:40 pm »
I have heard that their little hearts beat faster when they get warmer and that stresses their bodies,as it does ours, but they are smaller and it happens faster.

Like the others have said, the lower temp is better--they can stay in longer, and use your common sense!

I like that you have a family tub!
2005 HS Vanguard

LittleBlaine

• '06 Grandee
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 10:29:44 am »
On previous discussions it's been mentioned that as long as the temperature is at 98, kids can stay in as long as they want - which makes sense to me since that's their body temperature.  

Personally, I would never want kids in the tub who can not stand in the footwell with their heads well above water.  Hot tubs promote relaxation and it only takes a couple of seconds of diverted attention for a child to drown.  Small children can also get pushed around by strong jets.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 10:18:48 pm »
my little guy started going in just before he turned two.  He has gone in as high as 104 for about 20 min.  Now that the summer is here we are going in around 96 to 98 and he goes in 3 or 4 times a week.

He loves it, in moderation the doctor said

20 minutes @ 104 for a 2 year old?!?!?!?!  I HOPE and PRAY that your simply pulling our leg.  As has been discussed on these pages a number of times, the smaller bodies of these toddlers have little or no means of dispersing the heat. 98-99 or even 100 is fine. Once you get above 102 you are risking you childs health.  Their bodies can heat up VERY quickly and by putting a 2 year old into a 104 degree climate (for even 10 minutes), you are risking A LOT.  Please get formal doctors advice but 104 for 20 minutes IS NOT WISE IMHO and we don't want to loose any forum members...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:01:40 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:36:09 am »
child protective services.......easy now.  He goes in all year round.  When the tub is at 104 it is -20+ out.  when it gets warmer, the tub goes down.  He goes in for 10 to 20 min in hot water and alot longer now that the water is under 98.

Lets hope that you are not over reacting to the post.  I have spoken to the doctor and she said he would be fine in moderation.  He gets out when he is ready to get out.  We keep him heavily hydrated in and after the tub.

I think questioning my parenting is a little extreme here.  If it was not safe, we wouldnt do it but the doctor said moderation.  So thats what we do.  3 to 4 times a week he is in and lovin the tub.  He tells me when he is hot and he gets out.  Its not like he goes in 20 min every time at 104.  He has gone in several times for 20 min at 104, we dont run the jets because he hates them and he sits in the cool down seat where the water rests just above his stomach.  This was our first winter with the tub, and at 2 1/2 years old we did not have one issue with our son.  

Sorry you dont agree but relating this to child abuse, seriously, I think you are going to far.  

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:52:33 am by bosco0633 »

Salty_Ag

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 11:03:43 am »
I am the father of three young children ages 7, 4, and 2.
I am concerned about the fact that they could overheat (hyperthermia), but we constantly monitor them and their activities.  We live in South Texas.  I frequently travel to Laredo where temperatures hit 102 and above on a regular basis.  I've seen kids out playing baseball and doing other strenuous activities in these temps.  Two weeks ago the temp. hit 105 and there were kids playing in the streets and I doubt they were going inside every 10 to 20 min..  If you reported the parents of these children to CPS and CPS actually considered this abuse... the entire child population of such communities would be in the Foster program.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:25:54 am by Salty_Ag »

anne

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 11:21:22 am »
Just for clarity:

hyper="over"
hypo="under"

hyperactive is over active. Hypodermic is under the skin.

Didn't we just do this? :) ;) :)
Dance like nobody's watching

Salty_Ag

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 11:27:12 am »
So sorry... my mistake...  :-[;) it's been corrected.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 11:37:16 am »
Lots of people referrencing common sense. One thing that might not come to people is remember the young ones won't be quick to recognize symptoms of overheating, so you have to keep a constant eye and Brooks' specfic time out for time in sounds like a good idea.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 03:15:16 pm »
Use your head. 104 for 20 min is much too hot for a 2 year old. I don't care what the 2 year old tells you. Oh and I've experienced plenty of -20 degree days up in the extreme northern NH snowmobiling. You can't tell me your kid is sitting waist deep when it's -20 can you?

You are risking your childs health. No wonder you hear of incidents of death in hot tubs. Don't let us read about it in the paper.

Be safe!
Chris

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 03:48:19 pm »
Use your head. 104 for 20 min is much too hot for a 2 year old. I don't care what the 2 year old tells you. Oh and I've experienced plenty of -20 degree days up in the extreme northern NH snowmobiling. You can't tell me your kid is sitting waist deep when it's -20 can you?

You are risking your childs health. No wonder you hear of incidents of death in hot tubs. Don't let us read about it in the paper.

Be safe!
Chris

From what I have heard and seen, most deaths in hot tubs are the result of grownups either using their spa with alcohol or not monitoring their kids.  I don't know if I have ever heard of a couple using their spa with their kids and their kid suddenly dieing.  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 04:25:15 pm »

From what I have heard and seen, most deaths in hot tubs are the result of grownups either using their spa with alcohol or not monitoring their kids.  I don't know if I have ever heard of a couple using their spa with their kids and their kid suddenly dieing.  

Agreed.  I know adults who can't handle that temps, but if his kid can, under watchful supervision and hydration, then so be it.  Most of us know that kids their age don't sit still that long anyway.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 04:25:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42