What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chargers. I want to cry.  (Read 10807 times)

Reese

Re: Chargers. I want to cry.
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 01:16:36 pm »
It's been widely reported that it's the reason.  iut's pretty common knowledge. This isn't the first time it's been done either.  I'm sorry I cant provide you direct quotes, but google news should help you if you feel you need further information.
No, I don't feel the need.  I'm perfectly content with the opinion that this is likely more radio talk show/internet fodder than vetted news ::).  Regardless of the source, there are so few tickets to these events that are available to the general public that policy regarding the sale of the last few really won't have much effect on the balance of blue&silver vs blue&white in the stadium :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 01:16:36 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 01:20:28 pm »
Oh I agree.  A stadium could simply say tickets are only sold in person at the stadium ticket office, and therfore in effect restrict 99.99% of the sales to local fans.

It's just the policy itself smacks me of being unsportsman like. As I said in a previous comment,  I have no problem with a bit of trash talkin' among the fans and with the players to a certain extent, but the restricted tickets sales are a over the top.
07 Caldera Geneva

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 05:16:32 pm »
I have always felt that one should have to take and pass a test about the two teams who are playing in that particular playoff game in order to purchase tickets. Way to many people attend just to say they were there.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 09:21:25 am »
In school, we were always taught that during sporting events, keep the place imacualte, show school spirit and pride, and remember that we are "hosting" the event, and that the opposing team and thier supporters are our guests.
It was about sportsmanship, team pride and having fun.  I couldn't imagine the school princiaple saying "we are shutting the doors/gates to anyone supporting the visiting team"

Guess there's no room for that in Pro sports.  :-[

As far as tickets all going to people in the know, or connected, I thought about that,  and I know that at Gillete Stadium, (as well as any major event) there are a lot of tickets set aside for sponsors and such, but most of the ticket holders I've met have been pretty down to earth, hardworking folks, far from what would be consider "elite". Sure it can be tought to get tickets for a particular event, espically if the team is doing well, but the notion that  the majority of tickets are set aside for folks "connected"  I really doubt that.    It may seem that way, given that the stadium holds only about 60K folks, and there are  hundreds of thousands of folks wanting them

Reese, do you have any info on how many tickets are put aside for an event for sponsors and VIPs?  I'd be surprised if it was more than 10%. (if that)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:30:41 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 10:25:53 am »
...but the notion that  the majority of tickets are set aside for folks "connected"  I really doubt that.    It may seem that way, given that the stadium holds only about 60K folks, and there are  hundreds of thousands of folks wanting them.  Reese, do you have any info on how many tickets are put aside for an event for sponsors and VIPs?  I'd be surprised if it was more than 10%. (if that)
The ticket situation for playoffs and the Super Bowl is much different than the regular season.  Your comments about the average fan are somewhat true during the season, although with ticket prices and concession costs, the ticket base is increasingly going to corporate entertainment uses, especially the best seats.  That is why you see a playoff game at Soldier Field with several thousand no shows, mostly in the best seats between the 40s. :-?  Even though Bears fans are as loyal and hardy as any, the corporate tickets go unused when the weather is less than perfect.

As far as postseason, what I posted before still stands regarding NFL control, and allocations of tickets.  I don't know the percentages anymore, but there are very few playoff tickets available for an "average joe", unless they are season ticketholders -- and forget about the Super Bowl!:P

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 10:43:27 am »
That is why you see a playoff game at Soldier Field with several thousand no shows, mostly in the best seats between the 40s.

Maybe that's because the Bears suck?  ;D

Seriously though, all those empty seats between the 40s during inclemant weather? Those are  the club seats.  Those folks have access to the climate controlled area behind the glass and are probably in the club during bad weather.

Do you have Season tickets? Do you go to a lot of games a year?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:45:53 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 12:45:25 pm »
Seriously though, all those empty seats during inclemant weather? Those are probably the club seats. Those folks have access to the climate controlled area behind the glass and are probably in the club during inclemant weather. Do you have Season tickets? Do you go to a lot of games a year?
My understanding is that there were over 6000 no-shows out of 62000+ tickets sold.  They'd have to pass through the turnstiles to get to the club, so the club seat pansies would be in addition to the folks who didn't come.  I don't know what the travel conditions were in/around Chi on Sunday, but I thought it was relatively mild at game time -- 32 degrees or so. 8-)

I am part of a group that splits tickets for most of the local teams, so I end up going to a couple/few of games in each team's regular season, and am usually able to attend playoffs, if I want.  I also have a couple of good connections who can usually provide tickets when I want to go and my seats aren't available.  That said, I usually prefer to watch on TV -- especially pro sports.  I don't have the patience for all the timeouts, and as I get older, I appreciate the antics of the crowd less and less. ::)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 12:49:13 pm »
one out of every 10 seats was empty?   WOW.

07 Caldera Geneva

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2007, 04:28:44 am »
and as I get older, I appreciate  ::)

that the beer is cheaper and the restroom is closer.

r100rs

Reese

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2007, 11:53:17 am »
;D ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2007, 12:36:10 pm »

r100rs

Restroom?    Amatures.

Guys, this is the SUPERBOWL.

Slap on some depends, grab a case of beer, and you wont have to get off the sofa all day.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:36:28 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Webini

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 01:37:08 pm »
Just to close the door on the entire LT fiasco:

http://www.webini.com/webini/2007/01/shawne_merriman.html

I'm sorry the Pats lost Sunday, but the Colts deserved to win that game.  That having been said I'm rooting for da Bears!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 01:37:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42