What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: tarp  (Read 4043 times)

anne

tarp
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:23:20 pm »
Are there any relatively inexpensive all purpose type tarps out there that are fairly UV resistant? I have one tied over our little sail boat (it does not get used at much as it should, so it sits with a tarp over it a lot  :-/). In about 10 months of use, the tarp is in tatters. I just spent 45 minutes cleaning dirty water and stinky leaves out of the cockpit, and covered it with another tarp. Poor thing.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

tarp
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:23:20 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: tarp
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 04:57:43 pm »
You might consider just using the el-cheepo ones, but replacing them every 4-6 months.  Unless accessing the boat is too much trouble.    

You'll probably have to move into a premium quailty boat cover if you want soemthing that'll stand up better.  Those aren't cheap.

Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:59:11 pm »
Try an above ground pool winter cover - they're more expensive but seem to do a better job than a blue tarp from home depot.

I have my cover now for it's 4th winter, it's 24' round and I paid $105 for it back then. I think it's going for about $119 now. I don't know if the laying on top of the water keeps it nicer than a regular tarp blowing in the wind but it sees the weather from 2nd week in Sept to Memorial Day and it is in better shape than most tarps I had covering things after 2 winters.

Maybe something to think about.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 06:48:55 pm »
hey anne, sell your boat and you will never have to worry.  Just kidding, I would just use crappy ones and replace them more often as well.

anne

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 08:06:50 pm »
hey anne, sell your boat and you will never have to worry.  Just kidding, I would just use crappy ones and replace them more often as well.

Hehehehe, my dad was going to sell it since it was sitting unused on *his* property, so I said "no! Let me take it up to my place! I'll use it a bunch!"

I'm just about ready to send it back his way. Sad, but true.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 07:53:15 am »
they all fall to bits and peaces after a little while

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 11:30:56 am »
Anne:
A few years ago I purchased a heavier duty plastic tarp to cover a boat during the winter months.
It was silver colored and was sold as being U.V. resistant.
It lasted though several winters of usage, cost was about double of the standard plastic ones.
Can't recall exactly were it was bought but I think it was from a Ag supply store, as farmers in my area use them to cover hay bales.
Boat has since been sold, Yeah!!!!
Orangepeel

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 02:58:35 pm »
so are boats a waste of money?? I see them being fun but are the expensives really worth it?

anne

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 05:06:32 pm »
One could ask, "are spas a waste of money?" too. This particular boat is a 17" sailboat- nothing fancy, fairly old. Part of the reason it just sits there is that the big reservoir nearby that would be nice to take it out on is FULL of powerboats in the summer, and I think I'd get killed by a drunken motorist who doesn't know waterway right of ways. I sailed a lot as a kid, and I can sail well enough, but I'm no expert. I'm also not strong enough to step the mast myself, and the B/F and I dont always have time to go out together, so........

Mostly its those crazy power boats! >:(

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 09:27:20 pm »
Now wait a second! I have a power boat.

That is, if a V6 qualifies...

I just park it indoors in my toy barn, er, uh, I mean

Spa warehouse.

yeah, that's it.

But the blue tarps are truly junk. They aren't any good for storing something under for any length of time at all.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 02:24:41 am »
Ditto on the powerboat.

I think my V6 qualifies- 18' Crownline Bowrider with a 220hp Multiport fuel injected V6.
 Plenty of power for me.  But I have to store it outdoors except for winter, where it stays at indoor storage.

Brewman

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 04:20:10 pm »
darn i dont have a toy like that

anne

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 12:18:33 am »
OK, not all powerboats are bad, only the ones that get in the way of my quiet, smooth sailing! ;)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 04:46:39 am »
Ditto on the powerboat.

I think my V6 qualifies- 18' Crownline Bowrider with a 220hp Multiport fuel injected V6.
 Plenty of power for me.  But I have to store it outdoors except for winter, where it stays at indoor storage.

What about my Ficht Ram Injected 150 HP Evinrude mounted on the back of my 18' Crestliner fishing boat. With a top speed of almost 60 I would classify it as a speed boat. But it's a fishing boat.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 04:46:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42