What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any foodies out there?  (Read 5408 times)

anne

Any foodies out there?
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:47:57 pm »
Sorry- this is only hot tub related in that hot tubs make me happy, and good food and wine make me happy too......

Does anyone have experience with, or an opinion about cookware? I'm looking for some christmas gifts, but also going to be remodeling my own kitchen this spring- I know I'll want new toys. Names like All-Clad and Le Creuset- are they hype, or actually worth their high cost? Every famous chef now has a line of cookware too......I love to cook but have learned to get by with my Target-purchased set of pots and pans. I'd like to get a quality saucepan or two for my brother, who is HUGE into quality, and abhors trendy name-only fashion. Any advice welcomed.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

Any foodies out there?
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:47:57 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Any foodies out there?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 07:18:15 pm »
Sorry- this is only hot tub related in that hot tubs make me happy, and good food and wine make me happy too......

Does anyone have experience with, or an opinion about cookware? I'm looking for some christmas gifts, but also going to be remodeling my own kitchen this spring- I know I'll want new toys. Names like All-Clad and Le Creuset- are they hype, or actually worth their high cost? Every famous chef now has a line of cookware too......I love to cook but have learned to get by with my Target-purchased set of pots and pans. I'd like to get a quality saucepan or two for my brother, who is HUGE into quality, and abhors trendy name-only fashion. Any advice welcomed.

We use Calphalon great stuff but it needs to be seasoned. When it's new I didn't care for it but now I love it.
Retired

anne

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:57:14 pm »
Dont suppose you know which Calphalon you have? I think they make 3 lines: Calphalon One (non stick), Simply Calphalon and Kitchen Essentials.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:00:01 pm by anne »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 09:49:29 am »
Hey Anne,

I'm not a "foodie" but can appreciate quality cookware. (I'm right now trying to figure out some quality knives). Overall, I think the "Celebrity Chef" endorsed stuff is a bit hyped.  But some of it can be ok.

I prefer the  stainless steel pots and pans.  A thick consistent bottom to the pans is key (strong even heat) as well as quality handles. All clad SS is, what I think great.  but very pricey. The caphlon is good too, but personaly, I think it's ugly.  

Copper bottom pans  can be decent, but on the low end ones, the copper is more decrotive than functional (just a thin layer).  Plus, keeping it looking nice is a chore in of itself.  

If your brother hates the trendy names, then all clad stainless  is the choice.

I will suggest before you buy, check E-bay. you can find some great deals on new, in box items, just tripple check the model number to ensure you're getting what you think.

On a related note,  anyone got any info on kitchen knives?

I was thinking Wusthof, but began to think since my wife insists everything be dishwaser safe. I understand the carbon steel blades can rust in the dishwasher.   I'd like Stainless steel,  but don't know if they can kept sharp, so would it be a good idea to a signficant amount on a Stainless steell knive set?
07 Caldera Geneva

Hammster

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:09:23 am »
First off, don't bother with sets. Knives, cookware, anything. Buy only what you need or think you will use. Those sets usually have stuff in them you would never use.
All Clad is amazing, but amazingly expensive. Cuisinart puts out an awesome line of cookware and it's a lot less money than anything All Clad offers. Check Amazon for Cuisinart stuff.
Good knives should never ever be put in the dishwasher. And we aren't talking rust. They could bang against other items and get dulled. The harsh dishwasher chemicals can etch the metal and ruin the handles. It only takes seconds to hand wash a good quality knife so not putting it in the dishwasher is no big deal. I have 4 Wusthof knives and love them. Also, get a good steel to keep the cutting edge true.
As you may have guessed by now, I'm a devout food fan. (Foodie is too negative, IMO). I love to cook, I love it when others cook for me. And you don't have to have the best of the best to be a great cook.

NewTubber

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:10:38 am »
Anne,

Personally I think there's a noticable difference between quality cookware and the decorative or inexpensive cookware.  While the good stuff is usually expensive, there are places you can find good deals.  One place I've hit on a number of occaisions is Tuesday Morning.  Their selection varies, sometimes find what you want, sometimes you don't.  But their prices are very good and their quality is generally really good.  I've gradually picked up a pretty broad set of calaphon.  It's not pretty but it's what I like for cooking.  Not too long ago they had some boxed sets of Magnalite, similar quality but prettier, for about 40% of normal retail.

Drewstar - Good quality knives seem to require handwashing.  I my mind, there's a safety factor, too.  I get a little squeamish at the thought of unloading the dishwasher and not being aware that there's a surgically sharp instrument tucked in with the silverware or lurking alongside the glassware.  A sharp knife is a great tool but I like to keep an eye on them.

If the dishwasher thing is a deal breaker, then you might want to check out some of the newer ceramic knives.  I've heard they're quite good and they might be dishwasher safe.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:21:55 am »
Thanks Hammster. I apprecaite your comments.

The fact is, They will be going in the dishwasher, there's no question about it. Hence, my hesitation to purchase them.

Buying a set can be hit or miss pricewise. Sets however, if you look at the prices, usually will give you a better deal, even with the extra no use knives than if you were to pick up 5 or six from open stock. I don't want a counter block, We won't be "displaying them" in a block or on the counter, but stored in a block in the drawer. I don't need steak knives (my langiones are fine, ...but have lead me to the dishwaser safe requirement. )  I don't need scissors, or fuky cheese and paring knives. I need 4-5 decent chef, cooking, cutting, carving, peeling, dicing, knives that are high quality, dishwaser safe, heft, with a comfotable grib that can be sharpened and give a lifetime of quality service.

I am thinkning the wusthoff culinar line. but then agian, might just go with a capholon set,... i dunno.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:27:14 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hammster

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:49:30 am »
Drew,
Your logic is a bit flawed in the better price per knife if buying a set. That only works if you actually use every knife in the set. For sake of argument and simplicity, lets say you buy a 5 pc knife set for $100. That's $20 per knife. If you use all 5 knives that's a great price per knife. But, if you only use 2 knives, say, then you have $60 worth of knives not only not being used, but taking up space in a drawer. So that additional $60 would get shared by the 2 knives you do use. So, the $20 per knife now becomes $50 per knife. Not a good deal any more. Look for open stock sales, and this time of year they abound, and you will get the best price per knife that you will actually use.

If you will use every knife in a set, then sets usually are the best deal per knife. But if not, go the open stock on sale route. Same thing with pots and pans and other cookware.

Perhaps you would offer to wash the knives and so DW wouldn't be tempted to put them in the dishwasher? Then your investment would last a while longer. (Trying hard here to help you get those great knives. :D)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 11:08:45 am »
Hammster.

I hear ya.  And yes, I usually do the dishes (she cooks, I clean). and I', thinking I will go with the wusthofs.

Prices:  First,. show me a 5 peice wusthof set for $100   ;D  

Will more than likely go open stock with 3 knives and a steel (chefs knife, carver, bread and a steel).
07 Caldera Geneva

IdahoGuy

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 11:18:51 am »
My criteria for kitchenware is that it 'goes in the dishwaher'.  All Clad stainless!  I looked at a lot of cookware before buying and the criteria of dishwasher safe eliminated some of my other choices, including other All Clad offerings.  I was concerned about burned on gunk on the stainless being an issue, but even the toughest mess soaked in some soapy water for an hour cleans up easily.  All Clad is pricey, but can be found on sale and closeouts if you watch for it.  

Drewstar.....I've had Wusthof knives for a long long time.  They always go in the dishwasher (except for a set of Wusthof wood handled steak knives.  That set was what got me started with Wusthof many, many years ago.)  The only issue with running the knives through the dishwasher is that the black handles aren't as bright and shiney as they were when they were new 20+ years ago.  Wusthof is also harder to sharpen than some of the other brands, but holds an edge longer.

anne

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 01:14:07 pm »
Well, I think I'm going to start searching for All Clad deals. Thanks. That was the direction I thought I'd go, but needed some reassurance about quality. I'm going to go with the LTD (exterior is anonized Al) or Stainless (exterior is stainless)......looks like the difference between these two is cosmetic- anyone know differently? Either way, the cooking surface is 18/10 stainless and the core is aluminum. I'm going to want to keep whatever I buy for him!!!!!

As for knives, Drew- if you are the one doing dishes, then just hand wash them! The thought of high quality knives being tossed in the dishwasher makes me so sad :'(. And I think you are on the right track just buying a few of them individually. If you bought a set, you'd end up with two favorites that you used over and over. So I'd handle them a bunchin the store, think about the majority of what you'd use them for, and just get a couple really nice ones.

IdahoGuy

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 01:23:57 pm »
anne...check on the LTD regarding putting them in the dishwasher.  If I remember right the SS is the only one that All Clad recommends for the dishwasher.  I got a LTD griddle pan as a perk when I bought another pan and it went in the dishwasher a couple of times, but the exterior looks crappy now.  Still cooks great, but I hand wash that one pan now.  All Clad has a lot of buy this, get that free deals if you look around.  I've found a couple of pans on closeoout at Linens-N-Things, if you have any of those in your area.  I bought a 1 quart sauce pan for under $10 because it had no lid.  I have other lids that fit it so not a big deal.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 01:51:01 pm »
Here's a name I've never heard off before:

ScanPan.  The reviews claim it's the best non stick pan on the market. Anyone ever use these?

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/ultimatechefstore/scanpaninfo6.htm
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:51:21 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 03:04:21 pm »
anne...check on the LTD regarding putting them in the dishwasher.  If I remember right the SS is the only one that All Clad recommends for the dishwasher.  I got a LTD griddle pan as a perk when I bought another pan and it went in the dishwasher a couple of times, but the exterior looks crappy now.  Still cooks great, but I hand wash that one pan now.  All Clad has a lot of buy this, get that free deals if you look around.  I've found a couple of pans on closeoout at Linens-N-Things, if you have any of those in your area.  I bought a 1 quart sauce pan for under $10 because it had no lid.  I have other lids that fit it so not a big deal.  

You are right. Dishwasher not recommended for LTD. I think my brother would prefer the shine of SS anyway.

Is Emerilware as good as regular All Clad? It has the same warranty, is made by all clad, but is a bit cheaper. I dont get it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 03:22:12 pm »
It's my understanding the all clad have the steel-aluminum-steel all the way up the sides, this helps prevent burns from the side.  The emiralware just has the steel aluminum-steel on the bottom. (this is a recent addition)

Emiralware is made in China or Korea, while the all clad is made in the USA.

I'm not sure if you can put the emiralware in the oven?(all clad is rated to 500 degrees).

The emiralware is supposedly very good, but I thought your brother wanted to say away from the names and stuff?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:23:12 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 03:22:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42