What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My choice (finally) is.........  (Read 3797 times)

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
My choice (finally) is.........
« on: September 19, 2005, 04:27:46 pm »
So after a long arduous process of wet testing and researching the internet/forums and even getting some independent technician comments, we went with the Arctic Tundra.  Ordered it last Friday.  Should be in by the end of October or perhaps sooner.

To recap, I wet tested:
Arctic Tundra and Frontier
Jacuzzi 365 and 375
Sundance Maxxus, Optima, Bahia
D1 Californian
Hotsprings Envoy

“Dry” tested:
D1 - Diplomat/Nautilus - Nautilus too many areas too deep for wife.
Master 800/850 - (couldn’t stand the dealer and their interiors seemed small for their outer dimensions)
Coleman -  (knew it didn’t have the trap/shoulder/neck therapy I liked and didn’t want to waste my time or the dealer’s time)

Every brand I wet tested would have been acceptable in terms of quality had they won the comfort test.  We originally started out thinking lounger.  Then, due to float, we shifted away from it.  That is why you see some lounger models initially tested.  We didn't test other non-lounge models in some lines because no other models interested us

For comfort, for us, it was the Arctic Tundra hands down.  

We found the four sculpted corner captain’s chairs on the Tundra exceedingly comfortable and easy to stay in due to the armrests they all have.  I have alluded before to one seat in particular, the inverted triangle therapy seat.  It basically sold me the spa because no other model I wet tested provided the same therapy level to the area that matters the most to me…traps/shoulders/neck.  Every other manufacturer I saw or researched used directional jets only for that area.  The big 5” and 3” upper rotating jets on that seat work the traps and shoulder like no other IMHO.  Even without that “seat”, we still loved the comfort of the other seats and the layout.  We found it to be roomy even though it wasn’t an “open seating” spa.

We chose the Moonscape granite.  One thing I noticed when wet testing, the pearlescent looks nice, but it is slick.  Back to back, I found the granite more comfortable and easier in which to move around.  We have a younger son and think it will be better for him.  I also noticed that if you do float or tend to move, it is tougher with the pearlescent to brace or catch yourself.  In terms of appearance, we thought the Moonscape would be a nice alternative.

Electric was started yesterday the 18th and he will finish on 2 Oct.  Concrete hopefully will get poured this coming weekend.  12x12 pad for the spa.  Then it's hurry up and wait!

Hot Tub Forum

My choice (finally) is.........
« on: September 19, 2005, 04:27:46 pm »

Bubbles

• Calls 'em as I sees 'em
Re: My choice (finally) is.........
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 04:42:40 pm »

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 05:14:04 pm »
Hi stlrex,

Congrats.... whatever tub a person chooses, you'll love it.  Arctic is made in the province I live in (Alberta) so they must be doing a few things right!!

Happy tubbing!!

Mark

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 05:21:03 pm »
Congrats stl-rex!

I hope you enjoy your Arctic as much as we do ours!

Did you get the ultimate jet package? We went with the signature (on the summit model).

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 05:30:10 pm »
Congrats stl-rex!

I hope you enjoy your Arctic as much as we do ours!

Did you get the ultimate jet package? We went with the signature (on the summit model).

Jc

We went nuts and got the Legend Extreme (not the SE).  I was going just for the Legend, but the wife liked the bubbles, so Legend Ex.  Can't wait to get it in.  Will probably steal a soak at the dealer once in a while until ours comes in.  They're close to the house and made the offer, so I'll probably take them up on it.

Abnuceals

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 06:23:08 pm »
Congrats sti-rex for your wise choice.

No, you're not so nut  :P . Or maybe I am too. This spring I choose the Tundra model (Legend SE) and I did'nt regret my choice. So welcome in the gang and enjoy the beast for many many many years.

Pierre

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 06:33:10 pm »
Congratulations!

May you always have hot, clean, bubbly water!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

cappykat

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 07:22:30 pm »
Congrats sti-rex!  I'm sure you'll get much enjoyment in those cold winters! ;D
2005 Marquis Epic

Rmack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 09:29:06 pm »
I am still wet testing and have not decided yet on the model we will choose.

I went on the Arctic site after reading your review and was very impressed with what I read, I live in Minnesota and it looks like they built it for climates like mine. They would have to be built well with the warranty they offer with the Tundra.

I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer as there isn't a dealer within 40 miles of where I live, which isn't a surprise. I am hoping to wet test a Tundra to compare it with some of the other models we have tried.

One thing I couldn't find on the Arctic site is the dimensions on the 3 motors that come with some of the Tundra models, can you use the jets on all of the seats at the same time?

Ron

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 10:04:35 pm »
buddy, welcome to the family.

As an arctic tundra owner, I am confident to know that you will have no regrets upon your first soak in your back yard.  

Again congrats

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 11:29:13 pm »
I am still wet testing and have not decided yet on the model we will choose.

I went on the Arctic site after reading your review and was very impressed with what I read, I live in Minnesota and it looks like they built it for climates like mine. They would have to be built well with the warranty they offer with the Tundra.

I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer as there isn't a dealer within 40 miles of where I live, which isn't a surprise. I am hoping to wet test a Tundra to compare it with some of the other models we have tried.

One thing I couldn't find on the Arctic site is the dimensions on the 3 motors that come with some of the Tundra models, can you use the jets on all of the seats at the same time?

Ron

The Arctic Tundra uses 56 frame pumps rated at 4hp, I don't know if that's brake or continuous, probably brake.  There are 3 pumps in the Legend series and 2 in the others.  I have only wet tested the Legend series.  There is plenty of power to all seats with the diverters at the neutral position.  In the model I tested, the inverted triangle seat was controlled by two different diverters.  You could basically send nearly all the power of one pump to primarily the top part of the seat with the turn of one diverter.  I hope you get a chance to check them out.

Dave33

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 11:46:34 am »
Congratulations.  

We took delivery of out Arctic Summit Legend Extreme last Thursday.  After a delay to replace a defective GFCI breaker we were up and running Friday evening by 6PM and soaking by 10PM.  Didn't make it to bed until after midnight.   ;D

From my experience over the past week I am sure you will not regret your choice.

Rmack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 12:05:06 pm »
The nearest dealer I could locate was about 150 miles from where we live, the sales person said it was not a problem and they serviced the whole state of MN and parts of Iowa and Wisc out of there store. He did state that there would be a small service charge if they had to travel to my house for warranty work, but said he would have to discuss that with the owner as to how much.

I was told that the motors are 4 hp continuous and about 5 1/2 break hp.

Has anyone on this board dealt with Arctic Spas Midwest in Burnsville MN, and what is your impression of them?

Thanks,

Ron

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 12:58:17 pm »
He did state that there would be a small service charge if they had to travel to my house for warranty work, but said he would have to discuss that with the owner as to how much.

Get in writing how much and their expected response time as a 150 distance to your dealer is nothing to gloss over. There are many other quality spas that are insulated well and while Arctic may be a fine manufacturer, unless you don't have other quality spas close by I'd be very leary of the distance to the dealer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Rmack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 03:55:58 pm »
The nearest dealer of any type to me is about 60 miles, and the next major dealer would be about 120 miles.

I'm sure that which ever model I go with, there will be a service charge attached for any warranty work that may be involved.

I would rather go with a dealer that has been established for awhile and I can trust. I was impressed with the Arctic dealer I talked to and the warranty they have on the Tundra.

We still have the Maxxus to wet test, and thats over 100 miles to drive. I am also looking forward to testing the Tundra with 81 jets.

We have tested the Vista, Envoy, and Epic so far but will not be hasty about making our choice.

Ron

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 03:55:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42