What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrical/buildng permit.....  (Read 1566 times)

Cass

• Loving our Tiger River Caspian!!!!!!
Electrical/buildng permit.....
« on: September 15, 2005, 11:28:36 pm »
Is anyone here familiar with the proper procedure in Colorado?  I've heard that the electrician pulls his own permit, and a building permit isn't required unless the tub is a permanent part of the home.  Does this sound correct?   Also, should the electrician come and do the work several days before the tub is delivered? Or do the preliminary work on one day and finish up on delivery day?  Which works best?  :)

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical/buildng permit.....
« on: September 15, 2005, 11:28:36 pm »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Re: Electrical/buildng permit.....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 08:07:57 am »
Does your city have an official web site? They may have the code/permit requirments listed there. Or a phone call to your inspectors office.

I would think that what the electrician does depends on how the job is installed. Some folks have part of the electrical supply line ran underneath the spa concrete slab, requiring part of the work to be done before concrete is poured. If nothing else, you should have someone look at the job, making sure the house electrical load can handle the extra spa circuit. That kind of stuff always gets delayed, so the sooner you start the better.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 08:20:05 am »
I did require both a building and electrical here in NJ.  The building permit was very easy.  I just had to make a copy of my survey and show where I was going to put the spa and the spa had to have a locking cover.  Other than that there was not much to the buildong permit.  I did not need to pour a slab since my family room and garage sit on a slab that extends out the back to make a patio.  It is atleast 30 inches thick poured concrete.  If you are building a deck to put the spa on they may want to check it out for strength and such.

The electrical permit was a little more thorough.  I did have my electrician come out before the spa arrived to look the job over, make sure my electrical box could handle the load, measure for the amount of supplies needed(wire, pvc, etc...).  They did not do any actual work until the spa was delivered though.  They came the day after it was delivered and it took a few good hours to hook up.  Once the electrical is complete the township inspector came out to inspect the work and sign off on the permit.  It is well worth getting the permits now if you ever plan to sell your house in the future.  You may find some electricians who will pull the permit for you and others may require you to go to the township office and apply yourself.  Most reputable electricians will not hook up a spa without a permit application.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 08:22:36 am by Perk1 »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 08:30:01 am »
Sounds pretty typical.  Make sure that Colorado spa is UL/ETL listed, I think it's required by law.  Or is that just in certain cities?
Have the electrician pull the permit, and pay for it.  If you do this instead, then all onus for inspection falls upon you.  If the electrician pulls it, the inspector works with them.  
Usually at least 2 inspections are required.  One rough in, and a final.  If you can arrange it, don't pay in full till the final inspections is signed off.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 08:31:43 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 08:30:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42