What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Installing a 220 circuit...  (Read 3197 times)

Cass

• Loving our Tiger River Caspian!!!!!!
Installing a 220 circuit...
« on: September 14, 2005, 12:02:41 pm »
Good morning all....
We're going to have a 220 installed, so it's ready when we buy our spa.  Is it a major procedure for the electrician?  How long does it take?  We have two open slots in our breaker box.  Is that all that is needed?  I know the basic install is $300 and goes up from there.  I would appreciate any and all info on the subject.  By the way, we're still leaning towards the Caspian!!   :)

Hot Tub Forum

Installing a 220 circuit...
« on: September 14, 2005, 12:02:41 pm »

Cass

Re: Installing a 220 circuit...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 12:30:27 pm »
The Caspian says a "G.F.C.I. protected subpanel is required"  What the heck is this?   ???  Thanks  :)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 12:41:27 pm »
Cass,

The Caspain requires a 220 line and it sounds like you have the space in your panel. From the panel to outside, the electrican will run an electrical line to the G.F.C.I. protected subpanel. This is suplied by Tiger River and is a "mini" weatherproff circuit box that has 2 circuit breakers ; a 20 amp and a 30 amp circuit. One is for the heater, the other for the pumps.

Your electrician will run a line from this sub panel to the tub.

Make sense?
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 12:59:32 pm »
Also, the cost and ease of the electrical work will depend on the access to your breaker panel and how far away it you will be putting the tub.

Where in the house is the main electircal panel? How easy is the access to it? ( a finished room vs unfinished basement). How far away from the electrical panel is the tub going to be?
Do you have a place outside, near the tub that the sub panel will be installed?

good luck   :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 01:09:49 pm »
Also important is making sure you have enough existing capacity to power your spa.  This isn't usually a problem unless you have electric heat, hot water, dryer, A/C, etc.
Your electrician will be able to tell if you have the existing capacity to run your spa.  
Hopefully you won't need a service upgrade to provide the additional power-  This will push your electrical costs into the $1K+ range pretty quickly.

GFCI means Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt, and it's a type of circuit breaker or outlet that will very quickly trip when certain faults in the wiring are detected.  The idea is to prevent electrocution.  Standard circuit breakers only protect the wiring, not the users of the equipment.
GFI protection is required for outdoors, bathrooms, kitchens, etc..... usually where water danger exists.
Brewman

Cass

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 02:55:31 pm »
Also, the cost and ease of the electrical work will depend on the access to your breaker panel and how far away it you will be putting the tub.

Where in the house is the main electircal panel? How easy is the access to it? ( a finished room vs unfinished basement). How far away from the electrical panel is the tub going to be?
Do you have a place outside, near the tub that the sub panel will be installed?

good luck   :)

The main panel is in the kitchen which overlooks the back patio, where the spa will be located.  So distance wise from the panel to the spa I would say is 15-20 feet.  I would assume the GFCI panel can mount on the back of the house on the patio without a problem.
Thanks  :)

Cass

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 02:56:15 pm »
Cass,

The Caspain requires a 220 line and it sounds like you have the space in your panel. From the panel to outside, the electrican will run an electrical line to the G.F.C.I. protected subpanel. This is suplied by Tiger River and is a "mini" weatherproff circuit box that has 2 circuit breakers ; a 20 amp and a 30 amp circuit. One is for the heater, the other for the pumps.

Your electrician will run a line from this sub panel to the tub.

Make sense?

Yes it does.  Thank you.  :)

Cass

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 02:59:11 pm »
Also important is making sure you have enough existing capacity to power your spa.  This isn't usually a problem unless you have electric heat, hot water, dryer, A/C, etc.
 Your electrician will be able to tell if you have the existing capacity to run your spa.  
 Hopefully you won't need a service upgrade to provide the additional power-  This will push your electrical costs into the $1K+ range pretty quickly.

GFCI means Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt, and it's a type of circuit breaker or outlet that will very quickly trip when certain faults in the wiring are detected.  The idea is to prevent electrocution.  Standard circuit breakers only protect the wiring, not the users of the equipment.
GFI protection is required for outdoors, bathrooms, kitchens, etc..... usually where water danger exists.

We have gas heat and hot water.  We have electric for central A/C, and a washer and dryer.  So hopefully we're ok.  Thanks for your help.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 02:59:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42