What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance, Hot Spring, or Coleman?  (Read 4141 times)

waggie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Sundance, Hot Spring, or Coleman?
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:51:13 am »
Wow, what an active forum this is!   I think it's great and I find your comments so very helfpul.  I'm hoping y'all can give me some things to think about as I struggle to figure out what hot tub to buy.  My husband and I have done a lot of research, and it's down to three companies.   Actually, he's done the bulk of the technical research, and so far it's just been me that has wet tested.   I think he really needs to wet test the contenders with me since I'm not sure I like being the one to make the final decision all by myself.  

Only thing that HAS been decided is to go with a coastal/grey casing and a pearlescent tub.  And no radio.   Those decisions are unfortunately the easy part.

Here are the contenders:

Sundance Optima - on sale for $8589 w/o stereo.   That includes the spa, cover, start-up kit, and delivery. However, since we're putting this up on a deck level, there could be a charge for doing that.  The steps are $98, coverlift is $299, and ozonator is $299.  Looks like pushing $9,300 without tax and then my guess is we may have at least a couple hundred charge for putting the tub where it needs to go.  The price sounded good until I added it all up.

As far as the tub goes, I wasn't sure if I would like the foot jet thing in the middle, but once I wet tested I could see it was not in the way.   The comfort level in the seats was good except for one of them where the bottom of the headrest hits the top of my shoulders and isn't so comfortable.   But, if I don't sit back all the way and adjust my body a little, I can make it work.   All in all, it's a pretty nice hot tub.  But maybe more than we'd like to spend...

Of the Hot Spring tubs, the only one we're interested in is the Grandee.   The first time I tried the moto-massage (in the Vanguard), I didn't like it.  But after a second try in the Grandee, I decided it's not so bad after all.   The Grandee is pretty easy to move around in.  All the seats were comfortable, and the jets are good.   I found nothing objectionable except for the (sale) price of $9,959.  That includes the ozonator, planters, steps, chemicals, cover lifter, silver ionizer.  And I think delivery except he said there could be a $175 or thereabouts charge if a Bobcat is needed.   Not really too much price difference between the Optima and the Grandee, especially when you're thinking about spending this much money.

Next is the Coleman, which is much more reasonably priced overall.  I wet tested the 471 and also the 706.  The sale price for the 471 is $6,795 and $6,595 if we purchase one in stock.  This includes the steps, cover, start-up kit, ozonator, and EZ-lift.   The sale price for the premium package, which I'd probably go for, is $7,000.  

I'm a little on the fence about the recliner in the 471.   At 120 pounds, I tend toward the middle of the tub somewhat unless I turn down the power quite a bit.  We could go for the 470 that doesn't have the recliner, although I am hesitant to purchase anything I haven't wet tested, even though it is probably not much different from the 470.   I liked the jets in the 471, especially the ones around the neck and shoulder area.   My only "complaint" would be no foot jets that I can remember other than the ones in the recliner.  I need to check to see if there are any foot jets at all in the 470, were we to go that route.  In some places I think I sit a bit low in the tub but then other seats are higher.   Since I can move around, probably not a big issue.  

I also wet tested the Coleman 706.  That's got 3 pumps instead of just the two in the 470/471.  Also 53 jets as opposed to I think about 38 in the others.  It's got pec jets, carpal tunnel jets, foot jets, and also calf jets in the recliner.   Again, I was being pulled toward the center of the tub somewhat while in the recliner.  This tub isn't offered without a recliner.   There are no add-ons with the 706 and is already basically a premium package as it stands.   It's got the fiber optic lights as well as another white light.  The perimeter lighting is pretty cool.  The 706's sale price is $8,000 which, for what you get in comparison with the Hot Spring Grandee and Sundance Optima at about $2,000 more, is fairly reasonable.

The owner explained the reason for no foam - that it makes finding problems much easier.  He also said the Colemans are quieter than other manufacturers.  And that they are the only ones that use steel in the construction.  The floating remote is a bit more but seems like maybe a good idea.  

I haven't read all that much about the Colemans on this forum, and I am wondering why.   Hot Spring and Sundance seem more popular.   I'm looking for some feedback on the Coleman as far as who likes theirs and also from people who wet tested the Coleman but in the end didn't choose it.  And why.  

Any thoughts you are willing to share are much appreciated.  My husband and I plan to wet test all of these models together on September 16 and make our purchase of one of them on September 17.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance, Hot Spring, or Coleman?
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:51:13 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Sundance, Hot Spring, or Coleman?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:45:29 am »
Welcome to the board!  Those are 3 very good brands you're looking at purchasing, can't go wrong with any of them.  I'm curious if the Grandee you tried had the new DX MotoMassages in it.  HotSpring switched from 2 single Motos to 2 double Motos mid-year.  I absolutely love the DX (never was too wild about the single).

Anyway, I'm here to offer my help if needed.  I do sell HotSpring and don't believe there's a better spa on the market, but the other two brands are top notch as well.

BTW, you're not from Texas, are you?  I think Lori, t6Texan, and I are the only other folks on the board that say "ya'll" on a regular basis. ;D

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 02:28:33 pm »
I'm originally from Tennessee so you might see a ya'll comin' from me occassionally. ;D

Anyway, I think all of the brands that you have mentioned are good, reliable ones.   Since you mentioned the lounger, I just wanted to be sure that you realized that all loungers are very different even when they are manufacturered by the same company - each model tub could be a different fit.

Good luck with your search!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 04:29:08 pm »
Next is the Coleman, which is much more reasonably priced overall.  I wet tested the 471 and also the 706.  The sale price for the 471 is $6,795 and $6,595 if we purchase one in stock.  This includes the steps, cover, start-up kit, ozonator, and EZ-lift.   The sale price for the premium package, which I'd probably go for, is $7,000.  

The premium package is nice. The blower is plumbed only to add air through the jets, as opposed to some tubs that have "bubbler jets" that I do not care for.
I'm a little on the fence about the recliner in the 471.   At 120 pounds, I tend toward the middle of the tub somewhat unless I turn down the power quite a bit.  We could go for the 470 that doesn't have the recliner, although I am hesitant to purchase anything I haven't wet tested, even though it is probably not much different from the 470.  

Its not very different...massage wise. More foot jets. No whirlpool jet. The two comfort collar seats are identical.
I liked the jets in the 471, especially the ones around the neck and shoulder area.   My only "complaint" would be no foot jets that I can remember other than the ones in the recliner.  

There are two jets in the footwell. A little underpowered IMHO. The whirlpool jet is good for intense foot massage.
I need to check to see if there are any foot jets at all in the 470, were we to go that route.  In some places I think I sit a bit low in the tub but then other seats are higher.   Since I can move around, probably not a big issue.  

The 470 does have 3 foot jets, directed toward the back end comfort collar seats. The 470 does offer good variety of seat depth.

Let me know if you have any other Coleman questions. May I also suggest the Hydropool 625 or 638,
http://hydropoolhottubs.com
Hopefuylly there is a dealer nearby
Homeworks Financing Representative

TD

• new Bahia owner
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 02:31:47 am »
Hey y'all (for the Terminator).  From Texas here, also. Personally, I bought the Sundance, but the main factor for me was the price, and the fact that I live 70 miles from anyone but a Sundance dealer, who is only 25 miles away (this is rural Texas, okay?). However, I love the spa, especially  the foot jets, and its easy to move around in, and holds a social crowd well (I have had up to nine folks in it at a time, so far). Filtration is great, I just add bromine tabs as necessary, and rinse the filter out every two weeks, adjust pH as needed. Honestly, I never wet tested anything else, but some of the top few brands did seem inviting. I looked at Sundance, Marquis, Leisure Time (not impressed), Hot Spring, Caldera, and a few lesser quality spas. The warranty on my Sundance was a big selling point, as well as dealer proximity, and my dealer is always there if I have a question or need service. Best of luck to you no matter what brand you choose. As for me, this is the best single luxury purchase I have made in my life. Clear, hot bubbly water to you aleways.

Oops, a Freudian slip, I meant always, and I now will return to my tub with my Shiner Bock in hand.  ;D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 04:01:10 pm »
Oops, a Freudian slip, I meant always, and I now will return to my tub with my Shiner Bock in hand.  ;D

Just finished a Shiner Bock myself....mmm-mmm-mmm!

Terminator

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 04:27:16 pm »
Stop teasing me with a Shiner Bock, hard to get in Arizona.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 04:55:41 pm »
Stop teasing me with a Shiner Bock, hard to get in Arizona.

From me to you, Amigo! (Sorry, best I could do :()

Terminator

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 05:29:09 pm »
Very good beer.  That's Lance Armstrong's favorite beer when he's off his training schedule.

From me to you, Amigo! (Sorry, best I could do :()

Terminator

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 06:26:46 pm »
Heck, it's the primary focus of my training schedule....

Terminator

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 06:32:36 pm »
I am settling for a Sierra Nevada while I watch the Cardinals lose again.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 01:46:03 pm »
Hi Waggie!

I am an owner of the Coleman 461 which has the lounger. IMHO I'd rather not have the lounger though it's just neither hubby nor I sit in it very much. Sat in the 470 This will be my next hot tub! I LOVED it!!! Coleman makes a wonderful tub and in my honest opinion it's a personal preference as to which tub to choose. I sat in the 471 dry and loved the depth of the seats..might be looking at that one too.  :D Hope this helps a bit..I love my Coleman!

BP

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 01:46:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42