What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spas and Professional Sports  (Read 3033 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Spas and Professional Sports
« on: August 24, 2005, 02:08:47 pm »
I'm looking for some feedback from dealers and consumers.  What experiences have you had or know of with some of the spas that are in the various sports stadiums around the country.  The first place I remember seeing one is at the Arizona Diamondback's facility.  It seems to be a great marketing opportunity as well as a fantastic place to enjoy the game with friends.

We actually had a minor league baseball team in Tyler, TX a few years ago.  We built a deck in the bleachers near the bullpen and folks could rent the spa and watch the game.  They got hot dogs and drinks as part of the package.  We had a really neat girl that watched over everything, but she fell in love with one of the pitchers, married him, and moved away. :(

The reason I'm asking is that there is a great opportunity presenting itself and I need as much info as I can gather to deal with the big boys!  Thanks!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Spas and Professional Sports
« on: August 24, 2005, 02:08:47 pm »

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
Re: Spas and Professional Sports
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 02:33:39 pm »
Just what we nee to hear- another story of how the jock gets the girl......... ;D

Soakin

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 05:41:48 pm »
Up here the Saint Paul Saints (minor league team that does very well, even though located in a major market, by constantly innovating promotions) have one or two spas available for the games.  One of the owners, Mike Veeck consults for major league teams on promotions and adding fun at the ballpark (his grandpa owned the Cubs and his dad ran the Cards for awhile).  He seems like a good guy and probably a resource in your quest for information.   His partner, Marv Goldklang, is an attorney who owns a small piece of the Yankees, as well as bunch of minor league teams.  He may also be able to put you in touch with the "right people".  Try www.saintsbaseball.com. to track them down.
If this is big league, make sure to get your mfg involved.  The cameras love to go to those spas and a well placed sign behind it can be worth a lot!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 09:40:12 pm by Soakin »

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 06:25:15 pm »
I think it's all about return on investment.  The CFL (that's Canadian Football League team) in our city has a Sundance tub in the endzone, but for all intents and purposes, the 30-35K people can't get an up close look at it, and there's nobody soaking in it.  

If you can generate a few thousand walk by impressions each game, then maybe it's worth it.  There's also the association with the team you'd be sponsoring which also has it's unique benefits.  

As an advertising sales person, and I've sold NHL hockey, minor league hockey, outdoor advertising and others, so I'd put my dollars where I know I'm going to get the best return....if that's sponsoring a pro or minor pro sports team, then great.

Mark

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 08:00:14 pm »
Soakin and golferm, thanks a lot for your replies!  This is the kind of feedback I was looking for and I truly appreciate it.

I can't divulge what I'm working on right now, but if all goes as planned, I will be sharing some exciting (to me, anyways) news with the board within a couple of weeks.

Anyone else have any ideas or feedback?  What do YOU think would be a good set-up at a football, basketball, baseball, or.......hockey game?  Any and all ideas are welcome as this is a new arena (unintended pun) for me.  Thanks!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Soakin

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 09:49:39 pm »
One other thought, based on Mark's comment.  Make sure to have a mechanism to ensure the spa is in use every game, whether it be giveaway tickets at your stores, local charities, drawings at the ballpark (everybody in row A26 come-on down!), or e-bay auctions for the nights it isn't reserved.  Having it look like nobody cares to go in would be not be good.  By the same token, water too hot to stay in for more than a few minutes wouldn't look good to the rest of the stadium either.

Make sure to get an agreement on language used to describe the area.  You don't want TV announcers calling it the East Texas Jaccuzi, unless you are going to be carrying that brand. :(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 11:06:40 pm by Soakin »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 07:46:08 pm »
Many spas have there tubs in major league dressing rooms or training rooms.

For example, you can find a Hydropool spa and Aquatrainer in the training/dressing rooms at the Air Canada Centre, home of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 07:46:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42