What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Deck for possible Hot Tub  (Read 3187 times)

TN_Fisherman

• I'd Rather Be Fishing
New Deck for possible Hot Tub
« on: August 06, 2005, 09:58:14 pm »
I am in the process of expanding our deck to a size of 12X37.  One end will be 8 feet off the ground.  I am using 6X6 posts and 2X12 around the outside.  One side is attached to the house block wall with anchors and bolts through the blocks for support.  Floor joists are going to be 2X8s.

I guess my question is, is this deck going to be strong enough to hold up a Hot Tub.  Were the Tub will be located there is another 6X6 under the main support joist.

As other newcomers we need all the help we can get.  I know size of tub is equal to the weight on deck.  We are looking for a 4 or 5 person tub.  Make and model we will look at later.

thanks,

Jim  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

New Deck for possible Hot Tub
« on: August 06, 2005, 09:58:14 pm »

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
Re: New Deck for possible Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 07:45:34 am »
When we built our deck for a hot tub we used two triple 2x10 beams, 2x10 joists 12 inches on center.  Our deck was 16 x 32.  It was always solid as a rock.  We built the whole deck as though we could put the spa in any part of it.  Good thing too, because we changed our mind on the location after the first water change!!

Good luck with your deck construction!!

Susan

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 08:59:34 am »
Sorry can't tell you the details because I hired somebody to build the deck but I told them that it needed to be strong enough to drive a mac truck on it.  The deck is 12X15 and they put 12 of these 6x6 posts under it.

Orthofunk

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 09:55:00 am »
Best thing to do is have your plan checked by a structural engineer.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 09:57:22 am »
Since your deck is going to be 8' off the ground, you might want to contact a Professional Structural Engineer. Or seek the advice of your township.

A 12 x 37 deck 2' off the ground needs a different support system than the same deck 8' off the ground even if a tub isn't going on it.

My tub's deck which is 8x8 was designed for 150 PSF and is only approx 2' off the ground. It's free standing and it's braced front to back and side to side to prevent swaying.

Please remember a tub can get up-wards of 3 to 4 tons when full of water and people. And there can be other factors involved too that need to be thought of.

Good Luck!

jcmsrv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 10:00:18 am »
Good morning!
I built my deck with two doubled 2x10 beams, (beams were set on outside edge for where tub was going to set), and attached to the house with thru bolts,  I used two 2x10 for joist on 12 inch centers, then used two sheets of 3/4 ply under tub. All lumber is pressured treated. The rest of the decking is 4' x 4' squares of 2x4 and 5/4 decking. I make up these squares then set on joist like flooring!good luck
john

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 10:04:39 am »
I have to agree.  A structural engineer could give you some quick calculations and parameters for probably short dollars.  It sounds like you plan to span 12 feet with 2x8 which sounds marginal to me.  Your 6x6 posts should be fine depending on the spacing, but you may have to run another beam down the center with supports.

TN_Fisherman

• I'd Rather Be Fishing
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 02:52:04 pm »
Thanks for all the information.  I have a friend who is an structural engineer and he has giving me the go ahead for the support of the deck for the tub.

thanks for all the help and info.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 02:52:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42