What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Moto-Massage on low  (Read 4043 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Moto-Massage on low
« on: August 11, 2005, 05:03:47 pm »
Does anyone else have a tough time getting the moto-massage jets in their HS tub to operate on a lower setting?  When I adjust the valve for it down all the way, it will basically turn "off" (stop moving totally) When I inch the valve open, the moto-massage will start working but I don't seem to feel very much difference in pressure or "firmness" of the jet between this "low" setting and when the valve is fully open.  This appears to be the case for both the single moto and the DX in my tub.   Is this normal?

Hot Tub Forum

Moto-Massage on low
« on: August 11, 2005, 05:03:47 pm »

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
Re: Moto-Massage on low
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 05:18:07 pm »
My Envoy does the same thing. I think it takes enough pressure to make it operate, and low pressure will not make it move.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 08:21:11 pm »
Yup yup yup. The Moto is driven by nothing but the water pressure coming out of it.

We tried nuclear power for awhile, but the tubs kept getting too hot. ;)

So - as you have described - the thing will come to a stop when you crank down the pressure or turn of the air.

If you want it to be more mellow, I would recommend the "Hydro Pulse Plate," which you simply install with a screwdriver in place of the standard plate. It has smaller holes, and changes the feel of the Moto.

Ask your dealer about it. He should be willing to demo it, or let you try it on a 'bring it back it you don't like it' type of deal.

Around $38 or so.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 08:47:37 pm »
Chas...Does HS make one for the dual moto??

mxw128

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 11:50:54 pm »
Chas,

Yeah, I saw the different face plate and was thinking about trying it.  I totally understand it stopping, I was just hoping that I could reduce the pressure a tad on the jet (or even slow down the motion a bit) You mention turning off the air OR cranking down the pressure.  There is only one valve associated with each moto.  Does this adjust the air mix or the water pressure for it?

Thanks!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 10:38:02 am »
J - no new plate for the Moto DX yet. I hope they make one soon.

MX - There is an air valve for each Moto, and this adjusts the amount of air going to the jet. The air is the 'kick' and adjusting it changes the feel of the jet or in the case of the Moto the speed. As you mentioned, there is a very narrow range of adjustment on the Motos.

Then there are the Diverter valves. These can be used to simply select which group of jets are on, but they can also be used to vary the water pressure in those jets. I have found that I can leave the air valve open for the Moto, and then back the water pressure off very slightly and get a more mellow Moto.  But again, there is a very narrow margin of adjustability.

And speaking of changing the feeling: I have a customer who has a very tender back from some sort of accident. She purchased the Hydro Pulse plate, and it helped a lot. But she wears a heavy T shirt to make it 'just right.'

I can't do that: I tried and it felt fine, but makes me float. Easy thing to experiment with. Just be sure to rinse it in clear water before heading into the tub or you'll have a foot of foam.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 04:29:51 pm »
MX - There is an air valve for each Moto, and this adjusts the amount of air going to the jet. The air is the 'kick' and adjusting it changes the feel of the jet or in the case of the Moto the speed. As you mentioned, there is a very narrow range of adjustment on the Motos.

This is common for air controls in general. They don't have much adjusmtent between "on" and "off" as I get this question fairly often with regular air valves. Once that valve opens to allow air draw it flows pretty much at full speed as opposed to being able to gate it down halfway with the expectation that the air flow will be halved.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mxw128

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 08:01:01 pm »
Then there are the Diverter valves. These can be used to simply select which group of jets are on, but they can also be used to vary the water pressure in those jets. I have found that I can leave the air valve open for the Moto, and then back the water pressure off very slightly and get a more mellow Moto.  But again, there is a very narrow margin of adjustability.

Thanks Chas.  Actually this is a great segway into my next question (and it saves me from starting a new thread) So it is OK to position the diverter valve in between the 3 and 9 oclock positions?  I htought I had read that the diverter was made to operate in the 3 and 9 positions only...(This vanguard only has one diverter valve for pump 2, so setting it in intermediate positions won't control the motomassage but it will help me get some water to all of the seats...)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 08:22:31 pm »
Thanks Chas.  Actually this is a great segway into my next question (and it saves me from starting a new thread) So it is OK to position the diverter valve in between the 3 and 9 oclock positions?  

Yes. Set it wherever you like.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 08:22:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42