What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Costco Winchester vs Home Depot Image?  (Read 6546 times)

bearspa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Costco Winchester vs Home Depot Image?
« on: August 10, 2005, 07:23:01 pm »
I do not want to spend a fortune on a spa and have decided between a Home Depot Image Key Largo spa and the Costco Imperial Winchester? Both come in delivered to Big Bear CA at $4300 which includes shipping, tax and setup. Any thoughts on which is the better buy i.t.o. reliability, features etc. Also, if money was not an issue, then my choice will be the Hot Spring Vanguard. Is the extra quality you get worth the extra $3800? Are there any other spa's in the $4000 range delivered that I should consider besides the Costco or Home Depot spa's

Hot Tub Forum

Costco Winchester vs Home Depot Image?
« on: August 10, 2005, 07:23:01 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Costco Winchester vs Home Depot Image?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 08:08:16 pm »
There are too many differences between a HotSpring Vanguard and those other 2 spas to list.  What it boils down to is this:  The big box spas last, on average, about 5 years.  I have never seen one over 10 years old.  I have customers that have had their HotSpring Spa over 20 years and still use them everyday.  Factor in the ease of ownership, the therapy, the energy efficiency, and even how nice the spa is going to look in your yard 5 years from now.  It should be a no brainer.

Best of luck to you whichever path you choose. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 08:17:32 pm »
I sent you a PM....but look at the bottom of the spas you are considering, because of their lack of good insulation , if you place your spa on a deck like many do in Big Bear.....you will have tremendous heat loss though the bottom ....as they are exposed to the cold air and wind ....the dollars saved today will be spent on energy costs tomorrow .....

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 09:37:20 pm »
Considering the upgrade in quality for a couple thousand more, I would figure out how to go from those models into a quality tub.  If I was stuck at that range, I would look for a pre owned quality tub or showroom model.

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:15:58 pm »
I just went through the purchase process and one thing to consider is the wet test.  IMHO (and I believe many others in this forum will agree) you have to try out the tub you are going to buy.  There is just too much difference sitting in the filled tub with jets on and sitting in a dry tub.   You may find that a certain spa just does not fit you well, or you float out of the seats on certain models and why would you spend any $$ on something that you might not be comfortable in.  I don't believe either Costco or Home Depot will accomodate your wet testing their tubs.  I know that Hot Spring and many other dealers will (and will in fact promote a wet test).  My only advice (apart from comparing the warranties and tech specs) is to try before you buy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:16:28 pm by mxw128 »

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 07:22:49 am »
Just about every manufacturer carries an economy line of tub.  You can also get big discounts for floor models and red tag or blimished tubs.  Personally, I would rather buy a quality, name brand, blimished, floor model than buy from Home Depot or Costco because I don't believe that you will get service after the sale from those places.

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 07:59:14 am »
Go with a quality tub--it will be worth the extra $$
2005 Marquis Epic

nicker

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 09:50:35 am »
I agree with the others.    If your budget doesn't allow for the extra $$ being spent perhaps delay your purchase or look for a pre owned one or trade in from a reputible dealer.   That way you can still wet test, AND YES MAKE SURE YOU WET test.  Most tubs look great and do feel good dry but add water and its a whole different ball game.  Go to some dealers in your area and give them your name and number and have them call you if they hear of any trades or possible trades coming in.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 10:05:15 am »
I can understand bearspa's position. On the surface, it looks like a great deal, lots of features, distributed by a fairly respected big box retailer,  and a price that keeps several thousands of dollars in your pocket.

I would like to hear from any lurkers out there that have one of these spas and to share with us your actual experince?

My advice to big bear is, although I don't know much about that particular spa, I do however know that running a poorly insulated spa in the cold weather is *horrible* and you can easliy spend more on electiricty than what you are saving. It sucks.

The quality and enjoyment from my Tiger River over a low end P.O.S, no insulaiton, low performance tub is truely stunning and would recomend that  you  consider at least looking at the major brand tubs, before parting with your hard earned money, and I would even suggest putting off the purchase for a bit if you need to put some more $ aside for the better spa.
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 11:55:00 am »
Besides quality of the spa, longevity, insulating ability, hydrotherepay, etc. there is another major factor IMO. The big box spas may come with a warranty (that varies but isn't always the greatest on paper) but where it really falls short is when there IS an issue there is no dealer to call to come over for service. You will hear that you only need to call some 800 number and they'll find a service person in your area but that is hit and miss. Some have reported that an indpenedent service person came to fix the spa but sooo many have said that they end up becoming their own service person out of frustration so if you're not a do-it-yourselfer I'd think twice and even if you are it sure is nice to have a the dealer take care of the warranty work as expected. Your mileage may vary on this subject.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 09:16:07 pm »
Don't Homedepot have a 1 year return on everything if you are not happy?
use it for 11 months and have them come and get it after that.JT

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 08:38:35 am »
Have them come get it?  I seriously doubt that if the do have this guarantee (I'm thinking that Costco and Sam's club might) return shipping from the house to the store isn't included.  
Has anyone actually returned a spa after this one year period to either Sam's or Costo?  If so, why, and how did it go?  Did you get your refund?

Brewman
Brewman

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
;DRe: Costco Winchester vs Home Depot Image?
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 12:01:30 pm »
Stick with a local dealer you will get better support, I'm sure you can work something out with them as far as payments go. I have had my Image Spa for 1 year now and so far so good (knock on wood).  :-/ Plan on upgrading next year. Im looking at the Master spas at a place down the road from me were I get my chemicals. They have some nice tubs there.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 01:14:14 pm »
Dlap,

If everything so far has been good, why the upgrade? Features? Size?  

I'd like to know more about your tub, as a lot of people come in here and mention them, but I  don't see a lot of owners contributing.
07 Caldera Geneva

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 01:44:38 pm »
Besides quality of the spa, longevity, insulating ability, hydrotherepay, etc. there is another major factor IMO. The big box spas may come with a warranty (that varies but isn't always the greatest on paper) but where it really falls short is when there IS an issue there is no dealer to call to come over for service. You will hear that you only need to call some 800 number and they'll find a service person in your area but that is hit and miss. Some have reported that an indpenedent service person came to fix the spa but sooo many have said that they end up becoming their own service person out of frustration so if you're not a do-it-yourselfer I'd think twice and even if you are it sure is nice to have a the dealer take care of the warranty work as expected. Your mileage may vary on this subject.

Holy Moly!!! Spatech we actually agree on something!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 01:44:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42