What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I Finally made a decision! SD Optima  (Read 5271 times)

velocity23

• If it ain't broke...break it
I Finally made a decision! SD Optima
« on: August 05, 2005, 07:11:09 am »
I would just like to thank everyone for there help :). Wow, what a hard decision. Well anyway I bought a 2005 SD Optima with the Stereo. I didn't really need the Stereo but it does sound great and most importantly it is in stock and ready for delivery. I looked at HS, Marquis, coleman and SD. All the tubs were nice but I kept coming back to SD. It was between the Majesta and the Optima. Optima was in stock so that was a pretty easy decision...I hate to wait. It will be delivered next Friday the 12th, I can't wait. I got it for 10,300...this includes the Stereo, cover lifter, steps, delivery, tax and chemicals. I've seen lower prices and higher prices. I was quoted a lower price at a different dealer but I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling with them so I went with the other dealer. The salesman was great and there service seems top notch. Hard to put a price on that. Anyway thanks again to everyone.

Howie

Hot Tub Forum

I Finally made a decision! SD Optima
« on: August 05, 2005, 07:11:09 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: I Finally made a decision! SD Optima
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 07:41:18 am »
Congrats on your purchase.  As a fellow Optima owner, I can predict you'll love your spa.  And you won't regret spending the money on the stereo.  Sounds fantastic, and it's very convenient not having to lug a portable down every time you soak.  You have a good attitued about the price- believe me, you'll forget about what you paid as soon as you settle in for your first soak.
Brewman
Brewman

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 12:35:18 pm »
Congrats on your purchase..Your going to LOVE your spa and all the hard work will pay off your first soak!!! Congrats again

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 12:37:51 pm »
Congratulations velocity23!  I'm sure you will love it!

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 01:19:50 pm »
Congrats, Howie, and welcome to the SD family (can't wait for mine to come, either!)!

One clarifying point... I was under the impression (from here and my own problems purchasing one...) that SD dealers had guaranteed territories, as it were.

So, unless I'm reading you wrong, how did you get two quotes from two different SD dealers?

(And, I quite agree a few hundred or whatever in $$ evaporates once we are soaking day in and day out!)
--
Lee

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 02:51:00 pm »
I think the SD dealers do have a territory.  That doesn't stop people from shopping outside the territory.  
Some dealers won't knowingly venture into another's turf, some might.
I'd need to travel pretty far from home to get a SD not from the local dealer network.
Brewman
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 03:21:05 pm »
Hm. The way it was here (Northern VA), I thought you *couldn't* sell to another SD dealer's 'prospects'.

The three dealers of the one organization that recently went under had the whole local area; now we can purchase from the one in what I call north-central Maryland, and that's where I got the Max from.  But, before SD told me it was open season :) I don't think any other dealer was allowed to sell to us.  Maybe some did, of course, since how would the 'land owner' ever know you purchased from the 'poaching' dealer?

I'm still wavering on whether this is good or bad:  no competition and nowhere else to go if you don't get along with the dealer 'selected' for you, but perhaps theoretically better service since the dealer makes a better margin since he's not price cutting to the bone because he does have the guaranteed territory?

Bit OT, sorry!  ;D
--
Lee

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 03:27:55 pm »
Actually you raise a good point, and something to be aware of.  If I bought my spa bypassing the local servicing dealer, the local dealer might not be too happy to run out and provide me repair service knowing you bypassed them.  Especially warranty service.  
The farther out dealer would be more likely to charge a trip fee if the came to you.  
Most dealers I shopped included delivery in their prices, but I suspect if you asked them to come out too far, the delivery wouldn't be free anymore.
Just something to weigh against whatever savings might be there on the sale.
Brewman
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 03:36:33 pm »
Oh, sure! I would definitely not expect the 'official' dealer to save me, in that case. I'd also expect to use the one 'that brung' me.

But, in all this discussion of trip charges, if you get a good spa (brand and warranty), and don't ask fool questions (easy, dealers, easy!  I've seen some of the recent threads on people who can't reset a GFCI... :)  ), how many non-warranty service calls does someone that has a clue usually need?

I would hope except for broken items I would not need to have the dealer come out after installation.  (Knock on acrylic...)
--
Lee

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 04:32:53 pm »
So far in the 2+ years we've owed our Optima we've needed 0 service calls.  I did get a FL02 (I think) error, caused by some debris getting into the flow switch this spring but the service department asked me to tap the switch body lightly, which did the trick, and it's been fine since.   So I was close to needing service.  But it would have been under warranty.  

As for your question on non warranty service calls, hard to say.  People can be their own worst enemies, and do things to damage their spas.  Some spas may have problems with the short warranty items that are only warranted to be ok at delivery, that kind of thing.  

Maybe some of the dealers or techs can comment on how often they make non warranty trips out to their customers.

Brewman
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 04:52:14 pm »
I *think* that needs a new thread on "service calls and why they weren't really needed".  :)
--
Lee

c00ter

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 07:25:12 pm »
Congrats.......  I'm one that hates to wait too!  But because of the stamped cement and electrical work I want done I have to wait approx 2 months before I'll get to enjoy my new Maxxus..........  I'm marking the days off the calander.

Karl

velocity23

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 08:07:15 am »
Leesweet,

I'm not sure if they have territories. I don't know if I should drop names so I won't but #1 the Dealer closest to me is pretty much a hardware store that sells spas...#2 All the salesman did was bash the competitors spas and #3 my buddy bought one from them and had a problem 2 days after recieving it and they did not respond for three weeks. Now the other dealer is only 20 miles from house..The salesman was great....he gave me the Service techs cell phone number oh and I did test it (he actually answered the phone and my question) and finally he did not bash any other spa. I could of saved $400 bucks buying from the hardware store or $800 bucks buying from the hardware stores tent sale....wasn't worth it I felt I knew more about the spa than the salesman. So in short I guess it should be my right to buy from where I want regardless of territory. Once again Thanks everybody!

Howie

velocity23

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 08:15:35 am »
Congrats.......  I'm one that hates to wait too!  But because of the stamped cement and electrical work I want done I have to wait approx 2 months before I'll get to enjoy my new Maxxus..........  I'm marking the days off the calander.

Karl

Hey Karl congrats on your new spa. The Maxxus is sweet. Good luck with all the prep work. Before you know it 2 months is up and your in the new tub.

Howie

velocity23

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 08:17:51 am »
Congrats on your purchase.  As a fellow Optima owner, I can predict you'll love your spa.  And you won't regret spending the money on the stereo.  Sounds fantastic, and it's very convenient not having to lug a portable down every time you soak.  You have a good attitued about the price- believe me, you'll forget about what you paid as soon as you settle in for your first soak.
Brewman

Thanks Brewman....It is alot of money but I think your right, I won't be thinking about it when I take the first soak ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 08:17:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42