What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Goodbye Bromine!  (Read 6630 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
Goodbye Bromine!
« on: August 03, 2005, 06:06:38 pm »
I'm changing the method of sanitizing my tub from Bromine to either Chlorine or Diclhor.  I would like to hear from all the Diclhor users to see the pro's and cons of using it!  The bromine is causing my skin to breakout so goodbye!  Looking forward to hearing and learning all about Dichlor.  Please don't hesiate to suggest that I read a thread from the past should this iussue have been brought up before my being part of this forum.

Hot Tub Forum

Goodbye Bromine!
« on: August 03, 2005, 06:06:38 pm »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Re: Goodbye Bromine!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 06:09:36 pm »
Sorry camps that the Bromine isn't working for you hun. As I've said all along it's one; a live and learn method with the sanitizers and chems...and secondly it's what your comfortable with using. I've not had a problem with bromine so I'm sticking with that.

Hope you find what your skin likes hun. Happy tubbing!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 06:18:25 pm »
Go to rhtubs, go to the forum and look under the FAQ for Vermonter's and Northman's names. They both have an excellent regiment about maintaining your tub.

As for ease - yes it's easy but requires a little more "work" than bromine does. You need to add dichlor (which is chlorine) after you use the tub and every couple of days IF your not using the tub.

The nice thing is if you follow what they recommend, then you will be soaking in close to 0 chlorine.

Good luck!

txwillie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 06:26:38 pm »
I switched a month ago. Very good move for me. water is great. Other than having to add the dichlor after use, there is no more work involved than my spa frog inline system and I find the dosing to be no bother at all. Much cheaper than using the frog. Bromine did not bother my skin, but it made finger and toe nails brittle.

txwillie

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 07:10:27 pm »
I'm changing the method of sanitizing my tub from Bromine to either Chlorine or Diclhor.  

I think you will be very happy with the change. I've seen many people make this switch and often a short time afterward they say that they wished they hadn't waited so long.

There are varying methods and using that of Vermonter and/or Northman will work great. I typically tell people to add 1 tsp/person after each use, shock once per week, test ph/alk once per week. Now if you go a stretch without use your residual will go to zero so you'll want to add a TBS or so of dichlor occasionally just to be safe during a stretch of non-use. Beyond that watch your water and if it ever gets a bit cloudy just hit it with a couple TBS of dichlor and it should respond well.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 11:16:15 am »
Everything Spatech t.u.o said plus this:
With dichlor (the only type of chlorine to use in your spa) most of the time you will be soaking in sanitized water that has little free chlorine in solution--the free chlorine from the previous soak will have either combined and neutralized contaminants or evaporated.  Compare this with the bromine reserve that must be maintained for proper sanitization--IMO, you will be actually soaking in less chemicals.  And counter to Vinny's comment, I don't think it really takes more "work" but maybe it takes a bit more attention. Then again, getting bromine levels correct can be a challenge at first and takes considerable attention as well.  I think it will just boil down to your preference or your situation.  I certainly prefer dichlor but if I had a spa in a rental unit, I'd probably use bromine. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 12:12:41 pm »
 And counter to Vinny's comment, I don't think it really takes more "work" but maybe it takes a bit more attention.

I " " the word work as it seems that bromine users once they get their routine correct, don't need to fiddle with it as often as chlorine users do.

I do stand corrected though as the word attention didn't come into my mind and it is indeed not work - I use chlorine in my pool as well and they both are easy to care for!

Vinny
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 12:13:03 pm by Vinny »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 01:10:50 pm »
If you follow spatech t.u.o.'s, vermonter's or northman's routines, you will find that you have control of your sanitation.  You adjust to number of bathers and conditions.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 03:00:28 pm »
Interesting several threads on Cl vs Br... :)   We used Br on our first spa, since that's what it came with (inline Br feeder, and what did we know... ).

While waiting for our SD to come next month, I'm investigating Br vs Cl, again, as has been discussed here, and I was also reading over at rhtubs.  I'm going to find the Vermonter and Northman and the other Cl routines, but I was wondering:  does anyone have an opinion on why the rhtub site itself seems to be firmly in the Br camp, from what I see there?

Or is it just following the standard which I guess is that most people start with Br since "it's easier" for the average person to handle/maintain/keep up with?
--
Lee

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 03:10:07 pm »
Interesting several threads on Cl vs Br... :)   We used Br on our first spa, since that's what it came with (inline Br feeder, and what did we know... ).

While waiting for our SD to come next month, I'm investigating Br vs Cl, again, as has been discussed here, and I was also reading over at rhtubs.  I'm going to find the Vermonter and Northman and the other Cl routines, but I was wondering:  does anyone have an opinion on why the rhtub site itself seems to be firmly in the Br camp, from what I see there?

Or is it just following the standard which I guess is that most people start with Br since "it's easier" for the average person to handle/maintain/keep up with?

Actually most people there are in the dichlor camp - seems more bromine users here!

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 03:11:14 pm »
Go to rhtubs, go to the forum and look under the FAQ for Vermonter's and Northman's names. They both have an excellent regiment about maintaining your tub.

I must be denser than usual today.... :)
I just spent a bit of time at rhtubs and can't find anything in the FAQ section of the Forum (message board, I assume?) about how to actually *use* Cl or sections by Vermonter or Northman.

Should I be searching the actual forum for posts by them?
--
Lee

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 03:16:09 pm »
go there, go to Q&A message board, last item on the top toward the right - FAQ. In FAQ about halfway down are 2 "click ons" 1 Vermonter's 1 Northman's.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 03:23:37 pm »
Ah, got it!  :)  What I was doing was going *ALL* the way to the bottom of the board, and there's another Hot Tub FAQ link there.  :)

As for the 'Br' 'bias', I meant the site, not the users.  The info about chemicals, if you take only a quick look at the water care pages, says things like:

"Bromine, unlike chlorine, is effective even after disinfecting. It has a less offensive odor and causes less irritation than chlorine. It's more pH stable, and easier to maintain in the proper level by using tablets in a convenient floating dispenser."

Which is where I got my opinion I stated above.  :)

Vinny, thanks for the pointer to the 'other' FAQ!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 03:29:00 pm by leesweet »
--
Lee

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 04:17:12 pm »
All very interesting posts!  I will keep you all posted when I make the switch.  I really don't think keeping the Bromine at the right level was at all hard.  Right now my tub is at the following levels PH 7.4, Br 1.5ppm.  I would add a 1" Bromine tablet to my Sundance tubs  buitl in skimmer Brominer once per week, shock once per week, and ad about a tablespoon of bromine powder after each use.  

When I drain the tub and re-fill it I'll add only the PH deceraser to get it to 7.4, natural enzyme, and diclhor.  I refuse to add anything else to the water as I now know for sure it all adds up to foam.  I will then dump my water every 6 to 9 weeks depending on use and water clarity.  I plan to use a method of water chemistry management that I call "Common sense management".  I hope this will work!  Now I simply need to find a source on the Diclhor.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 08:28:22 am »
I am using Dichlor with a floater filled with minitabs (trichlor).  I have seen posts not to use trichlor but this is what my dealer has told me to use and supplied with the start up kit.   Bring it on.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 08:28:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42