What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What I have learned  (Read 3921 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
What I have learned
« on: August 05, 2005, 01:55:39 pm »
Ok, so I now have my own tub and I feel that I have learned so much in the last little bit.  I spent several months before my tub arrived, asking questions on chemical use, water quality, setup, and so many other things.  

Some posts have really stood out and I have taken them to heart.  

Perhaps the most effective post that I have ever read was a few months ago.  The poster said that new tub owners always tend to over chemical their tub, causing erly drains.  I decided that I would not do this.  So, I have really had to work hard to stop myself from adding all kinds of chems.

Every day, I have tested my water and I have made notes on how many people in the tub, and for how long.  I then add the chemical amount that I think appropriate and adjust as needed.  This journal has helped me in knowing how my water reacts to the use.  

I now know how much shock to use after the tub is used to get my reserve back up.  I also know that if ph or alk is off how much to add.

Today I just added a new chemical to my arsenal.  It is a blue powder water softner.  It smells great, softens the water for a more enjoyable soak and it helps with clarity.  i will find out the name.

I have also learned from a post to set a date where maitenance is conducted so you never forget.  Every Friday is the day that I go and add pucks to my bromine dispenser, shock as needed and ph as needed.  This is also the day that I take my water to the dealer to test with his machine to ensure good quality and reflective of my strips.

By spending the first month really learning water quality and chemistry, I hope that this will teach me not to over chemical my tub, reduce the costs, and allow me to stretch out my water before I have to drain.

The micropure filter is the greatest.  I was unsure if it was going to work, but it is great.  My water is so clear.  The micro pure filter is a disposable filter that requires no maitenance.  i never have to remove and clean or add chemicals to it.  I also never have to add chems for foam or clarifying.  

These are some things that I have learned.  Also, I dont find bromine to be smelly, my skin does not dry out, my ph lowers slightly, I dont have eratic readings yet, the water is always clear and as for low maitenance, I add shock 1 tablespoon for each user after use every time I use the tub.  This keeps my bromine level at a good range.  I dont see how dichlor would be any more work than bromine.  Both you are adding chems after use.  

I see the main advantage of dichlor is using the tub with a reading of virtually zero.  My bromine drops quickly when it is being used, and I shock it when im finished and its back up to regular levels.

Just my two cents, I hope that it helps others.

Hot Tub Forum

What I have learned
« on: August 05, 2005, 01:55:39 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: What I have learned
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 02:05:55 pm »
nice post....I think it will be of help to many...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:08:23 pm »
Perhaps the most effective post that I have ever read was a few months ago.  The poster said that new tub owners always tend to over chemical their tub, causing erly drains.  .

I'm going to take credit for that one  ;)  That's been my mantra the past year or so.  I remember that being me when I started.   What ever the case, glad we could help.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 02:12:30 pm »

I'm going to take credit for that one  ;)  That's been my mantra the past year or so.  I remember that being me when I started.   What ever the case, glad we could help.

Not to argue, But I thought that was "Cha's Law" ?  
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 02:37:22 pm »

Not to argue, But I thought that was "Cha's Law" ?  

Over medicating is just one point behind Chas' law. I'll let him explain the rest.  But maybe he deserves the credit.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 03:06:27 pm »
Good Job Bosco..I agree us newbies tend to over medicate our water and I am hoping by posting my problems with chems I can teach another newbie that it's ok to screw the chems up..your suppose to! I too have been keeping me a journal of things that my water is reacting to, including the enzymes I've figured out that they tend to make the tub foam a little so I'm using them sparingly!

Your date for adding and doing your weekly chems is a day before I do all my work (like 15 minutes out of my day is work) 2-3 pucks of Bromine in the feeder, 2 ounces of stain and scale and we test after an hour if it's all good we leave things alone, or if we need to adjust alk and ph we do (I've only had to add ph increaser once)

This month as you all know I've drained and refilled twice because of chem screwups on my part (over thinking the chems was my downfall) but...I think I have a handle on things now or at least....I pray I do lol!

drprwnap

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 08:13:35 pm »
Great post, bosco.  As I will be getting a tub soon, I will try to remember not to over chem. my tub.   Thanks!!!  ;D

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 08:51:32 pm »
Great post!

I never thought about keeping a journal; then again I probably would only have 2 entries in it: 1st day and 2nd. I start out all gung ho then it fades!

I put all the info in my analog round file (brain) and hope something of greater priority doesn't bump it down.

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 07:55:37 am »
I save all my tests results and chemicals I used on the computer.  I use to take my water to a pool store for analysis.  I was getting weird readings from them instructing me to add large amts of chemicals ect.  Young kids were doing the tests.  I bought my own Taylor Test Kit and for the past 2 weeks my water has been perfect with minimal chemicals needed.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 09:35:30 am »
Most bromine users do not add shock before or after every use, but that is a very safe way to sanitize.  If I were a bromine user, it is what I would do.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 10:06:28 am »
In addition, I have learned to wait a day after adding something to adjust or clear the water.  Time and filtration are your friend.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 10:06:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42