What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover lifter problem  (Read 4616 times)

Orthofunk

Cover lifter problem
« on: August 03, 2005, 01:41:57 pm »
I am having a problem with the lifter on my 2005 Maxxus.

Ever since I got the tub a month or so ago, it has been difficult to put the cover back on from the outside of the tub.  Since then it has become more difficult, and I have to muscle the thing closed from the inside of the tub.  I am pulling so hard on the handle, that the seams are starting to rip.  There is no way my wife could ever close it.

The lifter is a simple L-shaped hinge that the cover folds over, and I only have access to one side of it, since the other side is against some deck lattice.  There is a good 30" where the cover folds down into, but there is not enough room to get back there to lift the cover.

Is there a different type of lifter that would work better for me?  The dealer is sending out a tech, but I would like to know beforehand what other options may be available.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Cover lifter problem
« on: August 03, 2005, 01:41:57 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Cover lifter problem
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 01:46:30 pm »
IS this a wheight thing? The cover's too heavy or does it feel like the hinge pin doohickey is tight or seized? Anything bent?

Loosen the nut ?

Oh FWIW: I am not a repair man but only play on on the internet. ( Iknow some of you would get confused because  i use such words as "doohickey)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 01:57:35 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Orthofunk

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 02:02:29 pm »
It seems to be a combination of the weight of the cover, and the fact that if I try to lift the cover from 1 side, the other side doesn't come with it.  The lifter isn't stiff enough to carry the cover without flexing.

If I get in the tub and pull from the center, the lift hinges evenly on both sides... but it is still very difficult.  Also the cover drags against the tub when lifting.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 02:10:32 pm »
I get a slight twisting with my lifter as well, I'm gentle with it, and I'm not overly concerned about it.

It sounds to me that the lifter maybe attatched to low on the cabinet wall: it's dropping too far down to easly be lifted back into place,  and that would explain why it's rubbing. Did you install the lifter?

???
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 05:58:24 pm »
What brand of lifter is it? Can you give a internet reference for all to see?

My cover lifter has a metal beam (it's a Covermate 3)that the cover's hinge sits on. As drewstar said, I get some flexing but it comes down easily.

And drewstar, I am a tech in real life and use terms like that ALL THE TIME. So your unofficially an official tech talker person! ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:59:25 pm by Vinny »

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 06:00:53 pm »
I also have a Maxxus.  My lift is real easy to close from the side or inside the tub.  In fact I always close it from the side.  I'm wondering if the wind nuts are too tight on your lift and yuo are pulling against them when you close or open it.  Their should be a large nut that lossens the tensioning on the lift, these should be quite loose unless the lift is up in a harsh wind.  Then they should be screweed down.

Kelly

• Hot Springs Accolade!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 06:06:54 pm »
Sounds like it needs adjustment. It the rail is out of square, it'll rack when you try to open it - causing the flex you're experiencing. Over the time you've owned the tub, there's probably been slight settling of the tub and slight movement of the lifter adjustments. Explain the problem to your dealer and ask if they could have a tech or installer drop by to adjust next time they're in the area. You can ferify if the top rail is unlevel or wracked by lifting it to the "open" position and laying a level along the surface (top and one side)

Orthofunk

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 06:16:28 pm »
I really don't think the problem is with the nut adjustment.  The lift swings quite easily when not obstructed.

The closest example I could find to my lifter is the Covermate 2:

http://www.spacoverlifts.com/CoverMate2/cover-mate2.htm

except that my lift isn't bolted to the tub... it looks like the tub rests on the lifter bases securing it in place.

Kelly, I think you are right about the rail being out of square.  With the lifter in the open position, the cover is very obviously not level.

After looking around at different lifters, I think this is where my dealer made a few extra bucks.  I would probably be much better served with a different lifter that has springs or hydraulics to assist with opening and closing.  I will mention this when the tech comes out.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 06:24:29 pm »
The Covermate 2 has a bar attaching the 2 sides together, it sounded to me that yours doesn't have that. If a tech is coming out great but besides it not being square maybe it needs to be shifted back or forward a little or maybe it's rubbing somewhere - something to have the tech look at before you spend more money.

Just my $0.02!

Orthofunk

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 09:01:54 pm »
Mine has the bar connecting the 2 sides also.  The Maxxus cover folds in 3... not 2.  Maybe it is too heavy?

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 11:08:03 am »
we have a covermate with piston lifter(not sure if 2 or 3) for our maxxus 05. this is a brand new lifter made for 05 maxxus; it has longer attachment arms to get lifter out past curve on back of tub. it works great!

Orthofunk

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 04:51:13 pm »
After further inspection of the lifter, I found that the arm on the far side (against the deck lattice) is bent.

That explains it.

I will see about getting it replaced with a piston lifter.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 04:51:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42