What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What can go wrong?  (Read 2943 times)

velocity23

• If it ain't broke...break it
What can go wrong?
« on: July 12, 2005, 05:46:31 am »
I was wondering if there is anything that can go wrong with a spa that has been sitting for about 2 years? It was winterized before it was put up, but it has been outside for two years in the elements. Its a 2002 sundance Optima.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

What can go wrong?
« on: July 12, 2005, 05:46:31 am »

SDguy

• Where do they get these names for spas?
Re: What can go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 07:49:42 am »
If the spa was winterized by a Sundance certified technician, there shouldn't be anything wrong. I would open it up however and see if there is any dust that was collected and clean it up. I would also replace the filters. By filling it up through the protrusion that sticks through into the filter that holds it steady, thus filling the spa through the plumbing instead of just sticking the hose in the spa, you can prevent air bubbles getting stuck in the lines.

velocity23

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 12:32:15 pm »
I hear the seals can go bad in the pumps and cause them to leak when it has been filled and then drained and then left to sit for a while. Is there any truth to that? Just want to know before I make an offer

Thanks

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 04:12:03 pm »
Sounds like you are considering purchasing this one?
If this spa has been stored outside, and if the spa was subject to freezing, then I'd make absoultely sure all of the plumbing was drained.  
If it was properly winterized, then this probably happened, but who winterized it?  A pro or the owner?
 Just draining thru the drain and mopping up the bit on the bottom that the drain wont take isn't enough.
At that point there is still a lot of water inside the plumbing- enough to cause major problems if the water was to freeze.
Any way to fill the spa and get it running before you commit to purchasing it?
Brewman
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 04:13:47 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

velocity23

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 10:09:29 am »
Thanks for the replies. And no there is no way to test the spa Brewman. I have a deposit on a new Optima at $10k..ouch, but I can get this one for around $3k. I just don't know if its worth the risk. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 10:51:15 am »
Was in excellent running order when it sat?  My approach would be to assume you may need to spend some money to get it fixed and budget it in to cover yourself. Would you buy it if it were $3800? If the answer is no then maybe you should not get it as there may be some expense to get it running properly.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 12:14:45 pm »
Even if you had to drop a couple thousand into the spa, you'd still have about half the cost of a new model for a 3 year old spa.  Might be worth the gamble, if you're into saving money.  I didn't check lateley, but is the warranty transferrable to a new owner?
Brewman
Brewman

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:21:45 pm »
The warranty is not transferrable.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:21:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42