What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New owner  (Read 9588 times)

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
New owner
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:27:38 am »
Well I found this site a bit late.

When I went shoping I had sundance,vita,catalini, and jaccuzi to choose from.

I was able to get a sweet deal on a vita but the GF fell in love with the sundance optima. The vita looked way to cheep in her eyes, even though thats the one I wanted (I like deals) hehe.

We eventually met half way and we got the sundance maxxus.

We didnt wet test it but it looked thebest and seemed like the coolest out of all the spas we saw.

2 weeks before it arrives. and I cant waite (obviously).
Never felt a spa of this caliber..just hotel spas that was basically a bench with a jet every noe an again..and I loved those.

The place where I baught my spa said I could use dust as my base, I will let you guys know how that goes since I got my truck load of dust yesterday, all I need is to make the base contour out of 2x6 and get a compactor device... seems easy enough.

BTW, love this forum.

Later

Hot Tub Forum

New owner
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:27:38 am »

Chris_H

Re: New owner
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
Well I found this site a bit late.

When I went shoping I had sundance,vita,catalini, and jaccuzi to choose from.

I was able to get a sweet deal on a vita but the GF fell in love with the sundance optima. The vita looked way to cheep in her eyes, even though thats the one I wanted (I like deals) hehe.

We eventually met half way and we got the sundance maxxus.

We didnt wet test it but it looked thebest and seemed like the coolest out of all the spas we saw.

2 weeks before it arrives. and I cant waite (obviously).
Never felt a spa of this caliber..just hotel spas that was basically a bench with a jet every noe an again..and I loved those.

The place where I baught my spa said I could use dust as my base, I will let you guys know how that goes since I got my truck load of dust yesterday, all I need is to make the base contour out of 2x6 and get a compactor device... seems easy enough.

BTW, love this forum.

Later

Are you saying that you are basically using dirt as your base?  If that is the case, your dealer is an idiot.  You should be putting that spa on either a wooden deck or a concrete slab.  It is too large of a spa to put on dirt.

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 11:15:21 am »
Compacted dust is more like very small rocks.
I am suppose to put a few inches and compact..and repeat till I have the 6inch or dust required.

My yard is pretty much just heavilly compacted clay, I am supose to take 2x6 of wood and fill that up with 6 inches of dust.

No one else has ever done this?

I aldready have about 15 yards of dust in my miniscule yard.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 11:16:28 am by AAAAAAA »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:20:15 am »
Wow, I've never heard about installing a tub on dust?  The Maxus is a heavy monster.  I'm sure more will chime in...
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 11:24:08 am »
I could only find the 2004 pre-delivery guide on Sundance's website, but on page 5 it clearly recommends either a concrete slab or a wooden deck.  I am positive it did not change from last year.  I would not put that spa on some dust.

Go to this website for the 2004 pre-delivery instructions.

http://sundancespas.com/Communications/InstructionManuals/04PreDel.pdf
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 11:24:49 am by Chris_H »

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 11:28:32 am »
Here is a site:
http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/setup.htm

Perhaps I didnt have the correct term? thats what they use here in quebec. I beleive it is crushed stones I have (or gravel).

In the link above it says:
Gravel is sometimes used.  Pea gravel is simple to level by using a straight 2 x 4 and carpenter's level to check. Crushed rock is another choice.  A disadvantage of gravel is the messy appearance, and weed control issues.

Perhaps I could combine both the  gravel or crushed rock along with Concrete Stepping Stones? It would look nicer and maybe serve as a better base?

Chris_H

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 11:40:37 am »

AAAAAAA,

There is one major reason why you shouldn’t use pea gravel or dust.  Your spa manufacturer does not recommend it.  

When you buy one of the biggest spas out there you better have a strong foundation and pea gravel doesn’t do that.  If you cover it up with some pavers I may be a little more receptive, but I would still invest in some concrete.  

No need to take my advice.

Chris

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 11:43:39 am »
Not good.....
I already have the stupid gravel hehe..its everywhere!

Thing is though, I dont want concrete, I am selling the house within a few years..want to be able to get ride of the spa base easily.

Perhaps if I use it in conjunction with those spa pads?

Thoughts

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 11:57:38 am »
I'm not going to comment on the slab/stone question, but just suggest if you go with the gravel, perhaps putting a weedblock tarp under the stones to help prevent any weeds growing up through the stones.
07 Caldera Geneva

Revlis

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 12:03:45 pm »
I've heard of people criss crossing some railroad ties in the base and surrounding by the crushed stone or large pebbles.

So it's like a square of ties, with a tic tac toe board in the middle.... stones in and around everything.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 12:50:48 pm »
 Round here there is a product called Granite dust, which is the finest (as in smallest) grade of crushed granite available from the stone yards. It makes an excellent base for pavers, but by itself, would be washed away with constant direct rain contact.

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 12:58:04 pm »
I have never heard the term "dust", but I now understand it to be pea gravel.

When we deliver a spa it is on a set of wheels.  What do you think is going to happen when the wheels go onto the base (pea gravel) for placement.  Certainly, you do not expect the delivery crew to lift it off and move it over the base and set it down do you? ::)

Railroad ties or 4x4's in a grid criss cross filled in with pea gravel, well maybe. :-/

If you were my customer and I got there to find a pile of peagravel, I would be leaving it next to the base on the grass and charging you to return.  But, If they said so, well I guess they know what they are doing.

BTW, you can not "compress" pea gravel.  It's rounded nature will not "lock" together to form a compacted base.  Slag, crushed stone maybe, but you certainly don't want any sharp or jagged points pressing into the bottom of the spa.  

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 01:03:42 pm »
Defenetly not feeling good about this anymore...

this is supose to be fun .

I beleive it is the finnest crushed stone you can get. And yes they are the ones who told me to do that.

Oh what to do!

And what to do with the 10 tons of crushed stone if I dont use it.

Oh my!

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 01:05:46 pm »
I will get pictures of this mysterie rock tonight.

Also, they said that once compacted with a compacting machine it is almost as good as rock.

They also said to do many layers to get to the 6 inch marc and each time adding a bit of water.

The anti-weed cover is a good idea. Will make sure to get that.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 01:17:40 pm »

This is what I understand "Stone Dust" to be:

http://www.a1topsoil.com/soil.htm

07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 01:17:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42