What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I have had the tub for 5 days now  (Read 2949 times)

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
I have had the tub for 5 days now
« on: June 07, 2005, 09:51:41 am »
Well the tub got filled on Thursday night and had my first dip on Friday, felt great.  On Saturday we celebrated my daughters 10th birthday with 35 children and parents in the tub from 4pm to 1am.  That's when I realized I don't now what to do when it comes to chemical treatments, I didn't panic and brought my sample in to the dealer for the test and printout.  

I had to add some chemicals but not too bad, I am still very confused with the rocket science of spa ownership.  

I have a tremendous amount of foam since the party so I need to work that out.  

I think trying to drop 5 drops into a capfull of water is an art I can handle in time.  

I am using "CAREFREE" but it doesn't seem that way to me.  

I realize that my wife, my kids and myself have a different understanding of relaxation.

"I am Canadian" and expect to be told -"just enjoy it"

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

I have had the tub for 5 days now
« on: June 07, 2005, 09:51:41 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: I have had the tub for 5 days now
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:11:21 am »
...just enjoy...

BTW, What kind of tub?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:12:51 am »
...just enjoy...

Seriously though, you need to "super shock" that spa with some chlorine or other sanitizer if you had that many people in and out. In fact I would personally just drain and refill it and not waste the time nor chemicals to get it back in shape.

BTW, What kind of tub?

Rayman

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:14:11 am »
Drain and refill after only 5 days?????

It's a Beachcomber 750

Soakin

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 10:45:09 am »
I'm with Stuart on this one.  Normally, you wouldn't drain after such a short time, but with the amount of activity you had in it's first few days, you could be in for a long fight, just to get the water back in shape.  All those bathing suits with detergent residue, kids dunking heads leaving shampoo and oils -- not to mention other "deposits",  left you with a big bubble bath.  Cut your losses and start over.  A contaminated tub is no place to learn spa maintenance for the first time.

Rayman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 10:50:35 am »
When I took my sample in for testing it wasn't to bad, I tested it myself last night and the PH and sanitizer seem fine.

Soakin

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:20:06 pm »
When I took my sample in for testing it wasn't to bad, I tested it myself last night and the PH and sanitizer seem fine.
It's not the pH and sanitizer we are concerned about (OK, I am a little worried about the sanitizer -- it has a big job to do after that party -- I'm not familiar with "Carefree", what is it?).  It is all the other contaminants (detergents, oils, skin cells, etc.) that the bather load you described added to the water.  That is the source of your foam.  Your tub has probably had as much use in that one Saturday as many spas get in the 3 months, more or less, that most people keep their water.  Combine that with the fact that it is always a good idea to drain a new tub after a short time (see Chas' law) and that you are just developing a maintenance routine, and I still second Stuart's motion to start over.

If you really want to keep the water,  super-sanitize it, and add a double dose of clarifier.  Then skim off as much foam as you can, run the filters for a couple of hours, clean the filters, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat until the foam is gone.  Monitor the sanitizer levels over the next few days to make sure that it is keeping up with the challenge.  Then drain the water and start over! ;D

Good luck!  Let us know what ends up working for you.

p.s.  Sounds like a fun day!  One thing to consider for the next big party.  A 9 hour party with that kind of load is enough time to get bacteria started growing.  I've never had that big a group use my spa, but if I did: I would make sure to start the day with the highest safe level of sanitizer, check it a couple of times during the party, adding small amounts if possible, and shock with MPS if necessary during a lull in the action.  As soon as the party was over I would hit it with a big dose of dichlor to kill anything that was left behind.  That still wouldn't address the contaminants causing the foam, but it would keep the bugs down.  

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 12:27:54 pm »
I only have one thing to add to that...When you hit it with a big dose of DiChlor afterwards, Leave the cover open and run the jets for at least an hour!

hottubbrad

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 06:46:50 pm »
Filtration and water change only will address foam issues.  Forget 'de-foaming chemicals' as they are only a temporary solution during partytime.

As far as draining, don't sweat it.  The cost of water and heat will add up to 5 - 7 dollars and 8- 10 hours to heat.  I drain my spa more often than most due to my desire for clean water after parties.  Remember, skin pores trap soap.  People shower in the mornings rather than bathing like our grandfathers did.  Soap residue from your 'dirty' friends exits their pores in your hot water and creates bubbles ... among other things.

Or you can dump a load of Chlorine in it....

Either way, you can't sit in it for a night.  (unless you would prefer Michael Jackson's complexion)                      :o

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 09:52:53 pm »
Well the tub got filled on Thursday night and had my first dip on Friday, felt great.  On Saturday we celebrated my daughters 10th birthday with 35 children and parents in the tub from 4pm to 1am.  That's when I realized I don't now what to do when it comes to chemical treatments, I didn't panic and brought my sample in to the dealer for the test and printout.  

I had to add some chemicals but not too bad, I am still very confused with the rocket science of spa ownership.  

I have a tremendous amount of foam since the party so I need to work that out.  

I think trying to drop 5 drops into a capfull of water is an art I can handle in time.  

I am using "CAREFREE" but it doesn't seem that way to me.  

I realize that my wife, my kids and myself have a different understanding of relaxation.

"I am Canadian" and expect to be told -"just enjoy it"

Ray

Take the number of people in the HOT tub, multiply by 10, 35 is like 350 bodies in a pool.  That's a lot of body "waste", oils, persperation, dirt.  I will guarantee that everybody that got out was squeeky clean in every hidden spot.  Dump it and start over.  That Hot Tub is in urgent need of sanitation.  Did anybody get an itchy rash? ???

Rayman

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 10:31:17 pm »
Nope everyone was fine and we have used it everyday since, the foaming has almost gone.  Water was way too soft so added some calcium.

Ray

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 10:31:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42