What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter Stories 1 micron or 30  (Read 7392 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Filter Stories 1 micron or 30
« on: May 27, 2005, 01:52:23 pm »
Hey guys!
I said that I would drop by from time to time when I had something pertinent to share....

Well, it has come to my attention lately that salespeople of certain brands are touting the fact that they have 1 micron filters that will out-perform pleated and even purify the water! This is simpley not true!!

I have done quite a bit of research on this and even solicited one of the largest filter manufactures in the world to help, Unicel. Here is an email from Unicel that I thought needed no changes so I will just pass it on.

"In response to your question regarding graded density vs. pleated filter cartridges. I turn to the  NSF International Standard for systems components for swimming pools and spas. NSF/ANSI standard 50 clearing establishes the Filtration rates for both depth and surface type filers. This criteria is based on extensive NSF testing. Pleated filters for spas and residential pool applications are rated at 1 gallon per sq.ft. per minute. In other words, a 25 sq.ft. filter could handle 25 gallons of flow. In a commercial application the flow rate is reduced to .375 gallons per minute. Therefore, the same 25 sq.ft. pleated filter can only be rated at 9 gallons per minute.

On the other hand, a depth type filter is rated at 8 gallons per minute per square foot for residential and 3 gallons per minute per square foot for commercial. When you measure the total surface area of a depth type filter of the same dimensions as say a C-4625 pleated element you get 1.4 total square feet of surface area. As a result, the depth filter is limited to 11.2 gallons for residential use and only 4.2 gallons in commercial use.

In addition, Polyethylene and Polypropylene (depth type) and Polyester (pleated type) have a high degree of affinity to attract and hold oils through a process called absorption. (Not absorption like a sponge). As a result, they will both readily pick up body oil, perspiration, ect that is found in spa water. Pleated filters can be cleaned and reused. Depth type can not and are therefore considered disposable.

With regards to the filtration properties themselves, Both depth cartridges and to a lesser degree pleated use surface and tortuous path depth of the matrix to capture solid particulate. One has 25 sq.ft. for holding debris and the other 1.4 sq.ft. Captured debris can be readily flushed off the pleated element. Not so easily off the depth filter.

Lastly, any claim that either filter type will reduce chemical demand in a spa is misleading. Filters capture particulate by mechanical entrapment and body oils through absorption. They do not address water chemistry. Bacteria which is continuously introduced to the spa water by bathers feeds on the perspiration or oils picked up by the filter. If untreated the bacteria count can double every 20 minutes. Without proper sanitation the consumer may find themselves in a very unfriendly environment.

The theory that finer filtration will reduce chemical demand should be looked at very carefully. Finer filtration effects water turbidity caused by fine particles in suspension. Any knowledgeable pool or spa professional will tell you water clarity is dependent upon both proper filtration and proper water chemistry in balance. "

Looks like we have a new type of debate to add to the TP/FF crusade!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:01:51 pm by stuart »

Hot Tub Forum

Filter Stories 1 micron or 30
« on: May 27, 2005, 01:52:23 pm »

Chris_H

Re: Filter Stories 1 micron or 30
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 02:30:48 pm »
Read about 3 paragraphs.  Then I fell asleep.

I wish you were back here more often Stuart.  I haven't slept this well in ages.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:32:28 pm by Chris_H »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 02:52:36 pm »
Stuart!

Thank You!!!

I've been up against this recently and I'm sooo glad you shared this with us Thanks again ;)

BTW this place just isn't the same with out you :'( :'( :'(

Spahappy :D

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 02:55:23 pm »
Read about 3 paragraphs.  Then I fell asleep.

I wish you were back here more often Stuart.  I haven't slept this well in ages.

Yeah,
It's much easier to say "This new one micron filter works 30 times better than everyone else’s and even purifies the water" than it is to explain the engineering difference in a truthful manner!

I kinda look at it like reading the Bible, it's made me fall asleep many times but it's a peaceful sleep knowing the truth!

BTW, having said all of that....How the heck are you! I miss boring you also ;)

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 09:11:57 pm »
Stuart.

Your experience in this industry, and the no nonsence candor in which you deliver it, just can't be duplicated.

It's unfortunate that there's a whole new group on this forum that can't learn from the many pearls of wisdom you've shared in the past.

Yes I'm sucking up!!! ::)

Thanks....stick around for awhile this time...

Spahappy :D

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 10:26:38 pm »
Thanks SH! I really missed you to!

I left the forum for several reasons; I was already tiring of the battles with several myopic views that were simply put out to tout a product line regardless of fact.

Add to that I spent hours trying to help out here and even did quite a bit of research to make sure I was not giving false info however never once did the moderator take the time to thank me for the sheer amount of effort I put forth but instead chose to slap my hand for adding to someone's comments on a very disliked and chaotic snake oil salesman that had already been kicked off this forum for his insanity!

Don't know that I will stick around but I will certainly drop by from time to time!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 08:46:30 am »
I left the forum for several reasons; I was already tiring of the battles with several myopic views that were simply put out to tout a product line regardless of fact.....Don't know that I will stick around but I will certainly drop by from time to time!

Can I do it just until I need glasses? ;D

Great to see you around again, bubba stu.....hope everything is jam-up and jelly-tight for ya..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
A word from the moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 11:48:45 am »
On May 28th at 8:47am The Moderator Wrote:

Very good to see you. Thanks for all your hard work helping people here on the board. You are a real asset. Please forgive me for my heavy-handedness in the past. Welcome home.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 12:11:44 pm »
Can I do it just until I need glasses? ;D

Great to see you around again, bubba stu.....hope everything is jam-up and jelly-tight for ya..... 8)

aaah Tommy Roe....Now that brings back memories!!

Oops I just gave away my age :-X

stuart

• Ultimate Member
Re: A word from the moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 12:12:27 pm »
On May 28th at 8:47am The Moderator Wrote:

Very good to see you. Thanks for all your hard work helping people here on the board. You are a real asset. Please forgive me for my heavy-handedness in the past. Welcome home.

So are you moderating this too?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 06:53:42 pm by stuart »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 03:33:02 pm »
Well, no. I'm not a moderator here[/i]...
;)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 06:54:42 pm »
Well, no. I'm not a moderator here[/i]...
 ;)

Yeah,
Because if you where you would have already corrected my mistake before I had to!! ;D ;) ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 11:39:15 pm »
Oh I was tryin' to....

Soakin

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 02:00:31 am »
...never once did the moderator take the time to thank me for the sheer amount of effort I put forth...
 We don't need no stinkin' moderator for that job!8)  I'm sure that most of the consumers that frequent this board would join me in a hearty thank you for your contributions to this board, and I would hope that means more than kind words from our moderator.  The efforts that you and the other professionals (I'm not going to name you all -- for fear of forgetting one) bring to this forum are what make it worth coming here.   I've said it before, but it is a sentiment worth repeating: the fact that you and the other businesspeople here are willing to spend time to educate and help strangers that are likely to never set foot in your store, much less put a dollar in your pocket is... just plain wonderful!  Thanks to all of you! :)

I have been gone for a couple of weeks, but as I was scanning the pages to see what I had missed, I was happy to see you posting again.  There definitely has been a void while you were away.  Please stay awhile!

Cal
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 02:37:16 am by Soakin »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 10:08:45 am »
 We don't need no stinkin' moderator for that job!8)  I'm sure that most of the consumers that frequent this board would join me in a hearty thank you for your contributions to this board, and I would hope that means more than kind words from our moderator.  The efforts that you and the other professionals (I'm not going to name you all -- for fear of forgetting one) bring to this forum are what make it worth coming here.   I've said it before, but it is a sentiment worth repeating: the fact that you and the other businesspeople here are willing to spend time to educate and help strangers that are likely to never set foot in your store, much less put a dollar in your pocket is... just plain wonderful!  Thanks to all of you! :)

I have been gone for a couple of weeks, but as I was scanning the pages to see what I had missed, I was happy to see you posting again.  There definitely has been a void while you were away.  Please stay awhile!

Cal

Thanks Cal! You guys always make me feel appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 10:08:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42