What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: maxxus and 42" deck w/ sunroom?  (Read 3338 times)

Rmack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
maxxus and 42" deck w/ sunroom?
« on: May 22, 2005, 02:30:22 pm »
We have not wet tested the maxxus yet but would like to have a deck built off of our house 42" off the ground so that we can enter it from our house without having to install steps.

I recently got an estimate for the deck and a 17' x 24' Betterliving 4 season sunroom, the spa would sit in the middle of the sunroom a couple of feet from the wall that would be 24' out from our house.

When I told one of my son-in-laws who is an engineer about our plans, he didn't think it was a good idea because of the weight of the spa. He thought it would be a better idea to build a retaining wall around where the spa would sit, and have that filled with material and then pour a concrete slab for the spa to sit on. The deck would then be built around this area for the sunroom to sit on.

We live in north central Minnesota so frost is a problem, and the footings would have to be 4 to 5' deep.

What would you recommend? I think his idea is a good one and at 42" an end dump should be able to dump material over the wall with no problem.

Ron

Hot Tub Forum

maxxus and 42" deck w/ sunroom?
« on: May 22, 2005, 02:30:22 pm »

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Re: maxxus and 42" deck w/ sunroom?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 04:35:37 pm »
In my opinion, I think your son-in-law has a good plan. As long as the spa is supported by some type of base below it, I think you should be ok. You don't want the spa to rest on or be supported by the floor boards at all or else over time, the floor will sink in the middle where the spa is. I have a similar setup for my Sundance Majesta spa as it will be installed in a sunroom.  A good friend of mine is building a custom base for the spa to rest 100% of its weight on. It will be elevated just enough to make the spa flush with the floor so you will step into the spa and not up to the spa. Our sunroom sits right next to the open deck and is about 5' 8" off the ground. See what others here have to say as I am sure you can get some good ideas from the board. Good luck with your install!!

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 07:20:51 pm »
Payton,

how are you going to access the equipment?  
Is the sunroom going to be glass all the way to the floor?   ???

Putting it flush to the floor could have a few drawbacks; trip and fall if in near a walk pattern, somebody may step on the cover and you will be buying new inserts, you may have to kneel on the floor to stick your leg in because the entry is deep and nothing to grab onto.  Once in the tub you will be looking out accross the floor, will you be able to see out the windows?

Had you thought about having it maybe 14" or knee hi off the floor?  Simple to sit on the edge pivot and put your feet on a firm entry.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 11:22:09 pm »
I will be able to access the equipment from under the deck/sunroom. The sunroom sits almost 6' above ground and there is an entry way underneath the deck from the outside. Servicing will not be an issue as a result. As for the view, I am still in debate if it will sit even with where the skirt meets the tub or if I will leave a little more room as you mention. Once the spa is delivered to the spot it will rest, we will look at a few different heights to see what looks the best. There is ample room to walk around the spa especially on the right side which is closest to the door that leads to the outdoor deck.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 11:25:10 pm »
Cont.. As far as the view is concerned, you can see clearly out the windows as they are long enough to reach you eye level from the spa. I am still trying to refine the exact location though. Thanks for the ideas.

O-Ren_Ishi_I

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 01:08:27 am »
wood can be just as sturdy as steal if you build it beefy enough and correctly.  Our spa deck is on 12 inch centers with 2x12 inch beams and double 2x12 beams for the spa area... Our neighbors laughed at us and asked if we were going to be landing helicoptors and jets on it... Hahahaha But, that sunnofagun won't sag EVER... I tell you that... Oh yea, it is 13x18 with 17 post... this ain't going NO where... if you build it like that than you too can have a buetiful wood deck with spa on it...

Rmack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: maxxus and 42" deck w/ sun room?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 07:16:48 pm »
I got the quote on the deck from the same person that would be installing the sun room, and the materials did not look like they would be adequate for holding a spa that heavy.

I am going to get a quote from him for just putting the sun room on a existing deck, and get quotes for just building the deck separate.

If I went the way my son-in-law advised, there would still be a full deck with concrete skirting around it. The spa would sit even with the deck floor and you would never know it was sitting on a concrete slab.

Ron

Hot Tub Forum

Re: maxxus and 42" deck w/ sun room?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 07:16:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42