What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Paver Stones  (Read 21999 times)

Phil

• Icefish daily, Hot Tub afterwards!
Paver Stones
« on: April 23, 2005, 08:26:26 pm »
Went looking for a website that hosts a paver stone forum, no luck!!

Any of you peoples know about pavers?

Here is my problem/question:

Here is my deal, I had a huge paver deck installed last year, this spring the deck stones are showing effloresence, the white chalky stuff.  So I investigated, ordered some paver cleaner that was suppose to take care of it.  didn't work.  Then I got some "cure 30" sealer, and in a corner put it on one stone to see if it would "mask" the white chalky effloresence, it worked for a few days, tonight i got home from workin all day, looked at it and the white chalky is coming thru the EXPENSIVE "cure 30" sealer???????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can I remove the effloresence?

Hot Tub Forum

Paver Stones
« on: April 23, 2005, 08:26:26 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Paver Stones
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 11:27:38 pm »
Did you try power washing? How about a stiff bristled brush?

I was told that it comes from moisture and minerals,  I have it on my basement walls. Do you have a lot of moisture in the area? If so maybe it needs to be diverted.

How deep is the gravel base and sand base?

Maybe if it was contracted - call the contractor; if not go to the place you bought from and see if someone there can tell you why it's happening (assuming that you didn't buy from Home Depot).

Good Luck!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:56:21 am »
Phil did you get these stones from one of your suppliers? Or are you just doing patterned concrete? Sounds fishy though sounds like maybe the stones mix was bad.
Retired

Phil

• Icefish daily, Hot Tub afterwards!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 11:13:43 am »
I have at least 6-10" or more of Class 5 compacted, then a inch or maybe more of sand on top of that.  Underneath every paver, so no moisture.  

I purchased the job installed from a landscape company I work with on our pools and spas.  

Powerwased, stiff brush, acid based paver cleaner, i have done it all.....

I called the guy, he told me to buy some paver cleaner and it would come right up, hmmmm..... I will call him this week.

Thanks!

Rog, I would have done stamped concrete, except the county won't let me that close to the water, nothing built permanent within 30' from the crown of the bluff.

I know on concrete once you seal it in, u r done...  unless you work with a stripper    ;D

Oh and as a side note, if anyof you ever buy EON decking, don't.  Still if you buy EON decking, remove the plastic wrap off of it the second you get it home.  If you don't it'll melt into the decking and discolor it permanently, $700 mistake.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 11:18:14 am by Phil »

autoplay

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 02:33:12 pm »
Tile/Stone mason here.  Haven't installed Pavers over a sand bed,so have little idea where the effloresence is coming from.  Portland cement is fired lime.  Effloresence is generally found within leaching lime. (colored grouts/cements etc)

Where is the "effloresence" coming from,if no portland or lime were used in the installation.  Puzzled here. (Did you use real brick "clay" pavers,or concrete colored pavers?)

autoplay

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 02:38:32 pm »
You could try looking around on this site too........

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 02:38:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42