What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: About Buying On-line ...  (Read 4614 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
About Buying On-line ...
« on: August 04, 2006, 06:01:59 pm »
We all like to save money and I do purchase on line IF it saves me money but it doesn't always work that way.

My sons play the drums and my oldest is saving for a new good intermediate set.

Well he's been saving and dreaming for a long time about the day it'll happen. He's gone to all the on-line resources to look at drum prices and he was sure that he would get a cheaper price from some of the bigger internet music stores.

Well, we walked into a local store and he was talking about (and drooling at) at all the drums there and they had the brand he's been dreaming about the most. After talking to the sales guy and my son banging on a few of the drums, I asked the salesperson the ultimate question - HOW MUCH?? He quoted me a price (which is what whe could have gotten on-line) and proceeded to tell me that he could sell it for x dollars less.

I then countered offered to buy it for x dollars including the tax - he accepted the offer and we ordered the set for my son ... my son saved $100 off the price that EVERYONE advertises, I couldn't have done that on-line, only at a local mom and pop store.

Hot Tub Forum

About Buying On-line ...
« on: August 04, 2006, 06:01:59 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: About Buying On-line ...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:30:05 pm »
Actually vin, you still may have been able to do better online. A lot of manufacturers are starting to subject ALL their dealer to MAP pricing. MAP = minimun advertised prices. To remain a dealer they have to agree to not "advertise" a price lower than a predetermined amount. THE CATCH is that if you actually TALK to the seller, THEN they can offer you a lower price. You can frequently tell who's under a MAP pricing rule when EVERYONE is selling, or advertising, a paticular product for the SAME ECACT AMOUNT everywhere.

MAP pricing as of yet doesn't violate any fair trade laws, as they aren't telling you what you CAN sell it for, they're only telling you what you can ADVERTISE it for.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:49:59 pm »
Very common in the Photography business.  One of the large Manhattan based photo suppliers I purchase from will just put CALL FOR PRICE in the price slot if they are subject to MAP on that item.  
This is for both their website and paper catalog.
They have an instant email to give you the price they are selling for, which is almost always considerably under the MAP.  
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:13:44 pm »
Interesting, I knew about "advertised prices" but I thought a retailer (any retailer) would have put - call for price - as Brewman said.

I do notice some on-line retailers will put "add to cart to see price" and I thought that was for prices lower than the norm.

I really didn't think about calling an on-line retailer to haggle a price ... and I do worry about buying something like this on line - just in case of problems (finish, hardware ...)

Funny thing is my son has frequented some drum forums (I wonder wher he gets that from  :D ) and the prices quoted of how much the set was bought for are always the same. I would think that it would be like here - one person gets a low price (OK maybe says they got a low price) and everyone would be expecting it.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:44:04 pm »
The "call for pricing" is the real 'lack of imagination' way of doing it, and MOST people wont call as they think it's some sort of scam.

Rats Brew........ I though the instant email thing was unique to myself  ;D......... and I thought i was so shrewd.

The adding to the cart MAY be a work-around with some manufacturers (others wont allow it), but again, I think consumers are very suspicious of it.

*sigh* there's so much more I could say.......... ummmmmm, did you know some MAP policies specifically forbid discussing it not only with consumers but also with fellow retailers.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:23:04 pm »
*sigh* there's so much more I could say.......... ummmmmm, did you know some MAP policies specifically forbid discussing it not only with consumers but also with fellow retailers.

I bet the FTC would consider it price fixing and whoever was in earshot of the conversation would be hauled into court.

It's a shame that the MSRP WAS the only pricing that was fixed to be advertised. I learned about loss leaders and such and it is really bad when you can't advertize the correct price for what your selling an item for.

I guess that as long as it perceived that you either got a good price or "wasn't ripped off" that's the main thing. As you know I do buy from people who I think I get good prices on ... Most importantly, my son is getting a drum set he wants, saved some money and I looked like a hero in putting it all together! I hope he remembers this when I'm in diapers again - LOL

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 09:17:16 am »
You done good.

Your son will appreciate having a local store to visit and/or hangout it.

I'm all for online shopping, but if a local retailer is willing to offer good/fair prices I'm all for that too.  Afterall, those local retailers are good for the hometown folks.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 12:11:37 pm »
I bet the FTC would consider it price fixing and whoever was in earshot of the conversation would be hauled into court.

Don't bet too much  ;D

from http://www.fredlaw.com/articles/marketing/mark_0401_qtj.html

"Through most of the ‘80s, the Federal Trade Commission took a hostile view toward MAP. But in 1987, it reversed its course, stating that they are not automatically unlawful where they do not attempt to control the right to actually sell products below MAP. "

Hence most MAP policies begin, "We're not telling you what to sell the product for and you may sell it at any price you want, however the price you ADVERTISE........"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:34:53 pm by wmccall »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 12:14:18 pm »
Another thing manufacturers do is limit where you can advertise.

Spa Manufacturer X can't tell me where I sell my product, but can tell me I cannot advertise their product outside my territory. Not sure if its legal in the states, but thats how it works in Canada.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 04:30:59 pm »
Wouldn't that mean you couldn't mention their product on your website, since a website is an advertisement and is worldwide?

Another thing manufacturers do is limit where you can advertise.

Spa Manufacturer X can't tell me where I sell my product, but can tell me I cannot advertise their product outside my territory. Not sure if its legal in the states, but thats how it works in Canada.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 12:17:03 pm »
Good question Doc.

I would imagine they are more concerned with print/radio/television.

Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 12:17:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42