What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog Spas  (Read 9516 times)

welcome

Bullfrog Spas
« on: April 15, 2005, 11:57:41 pm »
Hi out there in hottub land.

I am a first time buyer and have been looking at  3 manufacturers:  Bullfrog, Beachcomber, and Artic Spa.

We are really interested in the Bullfrog technology and am wondering what people's experience has been with this spa.  How would you rank it in comparison to the other manufacturers I mentioned above?

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog Spas
« on: April 15, 2005, 11:57:41 pm »

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
Re: Bullfrog Spas
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 08:39:32 am »
Hi there welcome!

Why have you limited your search to those three manufacturers?  Just curious.

I really cant comment on any of those to be honest but there will be an Arctic Dealer up here in a month I believe and I will attempt to wet test at that time the Arctic ones.

Right now I have narrowed it down to Artesian and Sundance for my top choices.

I am sure there are a few folks here that can comment on the bullfrog.

Good Luck...

Mike :)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 10:50:12 am »
You may not get a lot of input on Bull Frog here...they get mentioned from time to time....but very few actual owners..... I think it is an interesting idea...however it is very unlikely you would ever change out a jet pack ....they seem to fairly expensive to do ....

Soakin

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 04:06:16 pm »
Welcome, welcome (had to do it! 8))

Do a search on this site (make sure to add a couple of 00s to the search period to get some results), rhtubs.com, and eopinions.com for each of the manufacturers, and look at the review sections as well.  Just be aware that most of the reviews tend to be unbalanced, (either love the product, or had a bad experience -- not much dispassionate evaluation).  There is no "Consumer Reports" of the spa world!

You seem to have focused on 3 manufacturers who all do things a little differently than the average spa, and also different from the companies that dominate overall sales.  That isn't necessarily better or worse, just different.... and you are going to have to decide on the merits of their approaches for yourself.   Each of those manufacturers has strong supporters, and strong opponents posting on this and the other boards, so there will not be consensus.  We would all appreciate hearing more about your evaluation as you decide.

There will be consensus on one approach.  Wet test and decide which one fits your needs/wants best.  Don't base the decision on bells/whistles or marketing hype!

Good shopping! :)

teebone110

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 05:56:16 pm »
Go for the one you like best, and most importantly has the best dealer support in your area!

nrkissed

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 01:59:41 pm »
Hey Welcome!

I had a similar resonse when I posted about Bullfrog, I am sure you will see me in the most recent discussions.

Let me try to add my thoughts and opinions to help you out.  At least it might give you some good questions to ask!

My wife and I hit every spa dealer in the greater Boise area looking for a spa.  Initially we were a bit naive and expected to pay about $4000 for a quality tub.  We quickly discovered this was a bit far sighted.

After narrowing down the size and options we wanted to several tubs we wet tested our favorites.  The Bullfrog 552 and the Marquis SA Reward won us over in the wet tests. price quotes: Bullfrog ~$7800 and the Marquis ~$7400 incl. tax.

After two or three additional wet tests to decide, we reached an impass.  Deb liked the Bullfrog, I liked the Marquis.  Ouch.  

So we both made a pros and cons list.  Ultimately the Marquis became our tub of choice but here are some of the pros and cons we had for the Bullfrog.

Pros:
JetPacks have more variety of jets
Packs can be moved (Not sure this happens in real life)
Less Plumbing in the insulation
Dual Loungers
Less Floating for Deb

Cons:
Price
Warranty less comprehensive
Dealer has only carried for a short time
Some packs don't fit in every location
Length of seats all basically the same
Pumps not as strong
Noisy when running cleaning cycle
Area behind seats doesn't drain when changing water
Not all Jetpacks circulate behind (not sure on this looking back)
I dont fit under sholder jets with out scrunching

Overall the deciding factors were the Marquis had a reputation for quality and warranty locally.  And we felt the Marquis Dealer was more personable and knowledgeable.  Both tubs would have been a good fit.  

I hope this helps get you started on comparing the Bullfrog to your other top choices!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 06:27:40 pm »
Thank you nrkissed!  That was a very informative post, even if I'm not shopping!  I didn't know I had a Bullfrog dealer in my area until I had already bought.  Thought they might be interesting, but also found out the local dealer charges for a wet test!  I wouldn't have paid for a wet test, sorry, besides, I can't remember how much they charged, but I remember thinking it was expensive!

I'm rambling...sorry!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 06:58:33 pm »
... but also found out the local dealer charges for a wet test!  

Now that sounds like a dealer who's looking for a career change.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 09:04:33 pm »
Charges for a wet test? I hope its refundable if you buy at least!  I wouldn't think "lookey-lous" is a real problem with wet test.  That sure was a new one.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 09:12:18 pm »

Now that sounds like a dealer who's looking for a career change.

That is what I thought!

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 09:15:15 pm »
Charge for a wet test? Is that outrageous? :o

Well, it depends.

Ive just begun a rental program where the customer gets a portable spa delivered to their location for a week and after the rental term is up they have a 30 day option to buy... So effectively, they too are paying for their wet test.

Also to consider, I dont think its terribly out of line to request a small refundable deposit for a spa before a wet test of showroom product to weed out unqualified leads. Though if i had a showroom, I doubt I'd ever enforce such a policy.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 09:18:06 pm »
Any dealer that asks for payment for wet-testing would never get a single cent from me.

Either this dealer has too many customers already or is unable to attract any at all.

Run! Run Away! ;D

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 09:24:28 pm »
Charge for a wet test?  What's next, charging admission to the store?  
That's like a car dealer charging for a test drive.  Who'd pay for that?
Brewman
Brewman

Lori

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 09:25:28 pm »
Ive just begun a rental program where the customer gets a portable spa delivered to their location for a week and after the rental term is up they have a 30 day option to buy... So effectively, they too are paying for their wet test.

Under those circumstances, I can understand!

Also to consider, I dont think its terribly out of line to request a small refundable deposit for a spa before a wet test of showroom product to weed out unqualified leads. Though if i had a showroom, I doubt I'd ever enforce such a policy.

The problem here is, the first tub I wet tested, if I had put a deposit down (for the spa) I would have lost my money!  The dealer was forced to close his doors the very next week!  I didn't request a wet test until I knew I was serious enough to buy!  

Just my thoughts!

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 10:59:41 pm »
Unless it is an "at home" Try before Buy.........

RUN DONT WALK FROM THAT DEALERSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO IF's, AND's, or BUT's!!!!!!!!! >:(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 10:59:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42