What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Saga  (Read 4378 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Cover Saga
« on: April 04, 2005, 01:18:25 pm »
Dealer support is nice to have.

In the past I have mentioned that I was having problems with the cover becoming waterlogged. I bought a new insert and had the dealer install it. Now the other half is starting to get waterlogged and I decided to replace the cover. (And probably the lifter) The tub is 2 years old and the cover is out of its warranty, but the dealer is selling it to me at his cost.  $200 for a 92x92 5"-3" cover.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 01:18:47 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Saga
« on: April 04, 2005, 01:18:25 pm »

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Re: Cover Saga
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 03:01:42 pm »
How long did the cover last you?

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 03:38:47 pm »
Two years.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 11:14:25 am »
That's what I thought - but only 2 years? That seems rather quick..?...?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 01:00:57 pm »
That's what I thought - but only 2 years? That seems rather quick..?...?

Yes, that does seem too quick.  I attribute that partly to improper installation and improper usage on my part. After a contractor did the install wrong the dealer offered to correct the lifter installation put I declined.

When the new cover arrives I'll correct the installation of the lifter and I have already modified some of my bad habits. The next time I drain the tub (June-July) I will consider changing lifters.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 02:01:11 pm »
Ah - now I remember!

I have always anticipated replacing our cover between 5-7 years. Whether or not it lasts that long - time will tell. Only two years of operation before having to replace had me worried!  :P

Jc

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 02:03:19 pm »
On the other hand, my cover is about 2 years old, and seems to be in fine condition.  Our spa is under our deck, so not a lot of snow or rain pounds on it.  Also, we're not using dichlor or ozone which I've heard can affect vinly and other plastics.
Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 02:10:21 pm »
My cover is 6 yrs old and is for a large spa. The vinyl is faded due to sun and sure the inside vinyl is faded due to sanitizer and ozone but that's not an issue. Structurally its holding up great and I expect a couple more years of use, no problem. Covers are often an afterthought in a way. A Manufacturer can save money by including a lesser cover as the customer buys based on the tubs quality and may not even see/inspect the cover in the store and will know what they've got upon delivery. A spa buyer should put a bit of stock into the quality of the cover when shopping (most premium spas have good covers).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 02:15:20 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 02:11:24 pm »
Actually, I find Dichlor to be the best at prolonging the life of the cover: you add it and leave the jets running with the cover open for about 10 minutes. That lets the chlorine cloud escape and it doesn't damage the cover.

Floating feeders tend to eat covers alive, and a good ozone system will have some impact as well.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 02:32:26 pm »
On the other hand, my cover is about 2 years old, and seems to be in fine condition.  Our spa is under our deck, so not a lot of snow or rain pounds on it.  Also, we're not using dichlor or ozone which I've heard can affect vinly and other plastics.
Brewman

Ours is more exposed and we have had two ice storms this year. At one point I had over an inch of ice on the cover that I may have too aggressive in removing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 02:33:38 pm by wmccall »

Chris_H

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 02:41:45 pm »
My cover is 6 yrs old and is for a large spa.

What kind of spa is that?  

fletch49

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 02:50:26 pm »
Actually, I find Dichlor to be the best at prolonging the life of the cover: you add it and leave the jets running with the cover open for about 10 minutes. That lets the chlorine cloud escape and it doesn't damage the cover.

Floating feeders tend to eat covers alive, and a good ozone system will have some impact as well.

I'm using a floating feeder with Bromine. Without switching to Dichlor, is there some other method of using bromine without a floating feeder?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 10:47:50 am »
I'm using a floating feeder with Bromine. Without switching to Dichlor, is there some other method of using bromine without a floating feeder?
yes  - "Brilliance" from the folks who brought us Baqua spa. Click for more info - Brilliance doesn't contain Chlorine as most other bromine products do.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 11:01:12 am »
I'm currently using Brilliance, which probably explains why my cover is in good shape, despite the floater dispenser.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 11:01:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42