What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: $$$$$ tell me what your deal was!  (Read 5427 times)

joking103

• It's too cold!
$$$$$ tell me what your deal was!
« on: March 21, 2005, 12:11:53 pm »
It has come to this for me..  I want to hear about cost.. not ten thousand, not even five, how about 3, 000, 3500 Now I was offered a floor model 2004 Saratoga putnam for 5,100.   It had everything the Costco one has but Costco is 3,000 Imperial and it a couple more options and it is O.K. not the best tub in town but better than my bath tub ;)

I like Caldera spas, Geneva in particular, but I won't pay 6,000 (well I would, but my husband won't).  I am not in a position to spend big, but I want a nice spa.

Hot Tub Forum

$$$$$ tell me what your deal was!
« on: March 21, 2005, 12:11:53 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: $$$$$ tell me what your deal was!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 02:37:08 pm »
If I follow your post (a big if) you want someone here to tell you what they paid for their spa, but only if it was $3500 or less?  That leaves me out, I guess........
Brewman
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 02:37:40 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 02:49:36 pm »
No, I am sorry, I don't want to exclude anyone.  It does not have to be $3500, but was it a deal? Did you find out later you were robbed or was it really a deal?  

So I want to hear what everyone thought they got for a deal?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 02:50:03 pm by joking103 »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 03:07:02 pm »
I'm still lost?

First off, if they actually ended up purchasing, that means that they perceived a "deal" or enough "value" to make the purchase right?

Value is something that can only be determined by yourself after doing your homework and taking into account your location and the dealers around you.

I think you'll find that this industry has far better character than what you might believe. There's a few horror stories out there but for the most part, these companies are few and far between or they are exposed very quickly here and elsewhere.

My suggestion would be to give us your location, the dealers in your area, the models, prices and features you are considering and let someone give advice based on that.

Steve

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 03:26:25 pm »
O.K. I feel as though I have offended you. I am not here to accuse, argue insult or debate just looking for info, I don't have the approval from upper management (husband) to spend a lot of money.  So heres what I'd like to know about.

I am in connecticut
6 person
min 33 jets
ozinator
with a lounge I am almost 6ft tall I would like to be able to stretch out and not float out of the tub.

Optional: waterfall, led lighting

it will be outside, economical to run during the chilly winter months.

Kulta

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 03:45:35 pm »
Hei !!  We have a $3100 spa but  you would not want it. 7 persons no way. Our Solana TX is just fine for us 2 persons no bells & whistles. Be ready to pay for what you desire. You will be glad you did.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 03:47:20 pm »
No offense taken at all. It's just that to determine what you are after and relevent for you, added information was needed.

How did you come to the conclusion of 33 jets out of curiosity?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 04:19:12 pm »
Basically you've decided that you have a max price but do not want that to lead to any limitations on what you can get? There are spas out there that sell this way but they tend to be a bit more limited on Quality and far too often are limited on Customer Service (including warranty or more precisely, willingness to follow thorough on warranty). Be careful, price and value are NOT the same thing.

If you look at some of the major manufacturers you will find they build spas that at their top end are $9k or so but they all have mid-level spa series that go for 5k or so. With these you'll still get Quality, warranty (maybe a bit shorter than the premium models but still good and they'll back it up), synthetic siding, etc. but you'll also typically get fewer jets, no waterfall, special lighting, etc. There are spa makers that will sell you the sizzle at what seems like a great price but is it a great value and will it stand the test of time?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 04:22:11 pm »
i can understand where you are coming from, being budget concious and all.... when i stated looking for a replacement for my tub, i had seen them at sams club for 3300, seen the ads at rec warehouse, etc...., and was thinking hey, i should be able to get a nice one for $3-4k. i think the reality is, you cannot.

the geneva is a very nice tub. i just bought a caldera niagra myself, that is being delivered tomorrow. i personally didn't want a lounger, but that is just me. i paid $8100 for an '04, with steps, cover lifter, upgraded lighting, etc... and got them to toss in extra filter, extra jets, and a store credit for more chem's.
i did a lot of research here and on other boards, as to model, but the wet test was 80% of the decision. after deciding that i wanted a niagra, i even went as far as using the dealer locater, and contacted 2 other dealers w/in 200 miles of here. one of them had the niagra with the platinum shell (that was my top choice in color) for 8900 for an 04, and the other didn't have any '04s and was talking $9k+ for an '05.
the one i bought is the green shell, which i also like, and i was not willing to drop $800 for different color on the same tub.
besides, the dealer here locally has been here over 26 years, selling watkins products for 19 of those years. that really means alot in this industry, i have come to find out....
it was a several step process for me to go from $3-4k, up to $6-7k, when i realized what was out there with a good reputation.
i was all set to spend $6600 on an i-net spa "deal" until i started asking questions i learned to ask here. i feel better now that i did not drop almost $7k on a clearwater spa, and instead used a company that will back up what they sell.
but hey, thats just my opinion.......
i wish you the best in your search, but you may have to do a small reality check. youre not going to find a 6-7 person premium spa for $3000-3500. not new anyway. from my shopping experience here in va i think you'd be hard pressed to find that under $6k.....  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 06:14:33 pm »
You also stated you wanted something energy efficient.
One place to skimp on in a less expensive spa (they have to trim out stuff to reach your price point) is insulation.  You may save a couple grand now, and end up paying for it multiple times over to your power company.  And the way things are looking now, the cost of power isn't going anywhere but up.  

Pay now, or pay later.

BTW, the price I paid for my spa was the going price in our area.  I was fine with what I paid, and quickly forgot about it after the first soak.
Brewman
Brewman

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 12:33:12 pm »
I think most people here will say something that boils down to:  Spending $3500 for a spa with those features is going to be a gamble. Gamble that the construction is low and something eill break/leak, or gambling that energy efficiency isn't good and spending $40 a month instead of $20 a month to run it or not having good filtration and spending more money in chemicals to keep things clear, etc...

Here is some shopping suggestions:

1) Don't by a tub unless you wet test it.  Sit in it for 10-15 minutes. Play with all the settings.  Then, once you have wet-tested a few, go back and wet-test again.

2) Look up on the internet problems or suggestions with any tub brand you decide to buy.  With more major manufacturers (hot springs, sundance, as well as marquis and D1 get high marks here) you don't need to worry so much: either there is less of a problem, or more support to fix the problem.  But, with going in for less money you get into the "gamble" phase and a little detective work will go a long way.

3) Read the warranty.  Look at what is and is NOT covered. Make sure it is not prorated from the time the tub is built.  Compare it to companies known for good warranties, like hot springs and marquis.

4) Decide what is more important to you: Having an inexpensive tub now, or saving up for a year and having an incredible tub then.  Or, somewhere in between. This is also the same as saying decide if the tub isn't as nice, will you still use it. Paying $3500 and not using it as often is worse than paying $7000 and using it all the time, in my opinion.

5) Wait for the next year models to come in and try and grab a floor model on the cheap.

From my shopping experience, and from what others on this board post price-wise, a top-of-the-line big tub will run between $6k and $10k.  A top of the line smaller tub goes for arounf $5k-$8k.  The thing to know if an 8 person tub isn't twice as expensive as a 4 person tub!

I own a 2004 Hot Spring Grandee, I got it for something like $7800. Can't remember if this included tax or not.

-Ed

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 03:54:13 pm »
Joker,
You must be joking, oh you are. Just a joke, based on your screen name. Take a look at the Nordic Hot Tub line. Their spas are very well made, low price and very good quality. I don't know if you will find one with everything in it, but this is a nice starting point.

good luck,

hottubber... ;D

jmig

• caldera geneva utopia
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 04:12:55 pm »
I bought my Geneva Utopia at Sunwrights on Pitkin St East Hartford Ct. They also carry Hotsprings spas. We are very happy with both our purchase and the dealer. They have a wide range of tubs something may fit into your price range.

BadBack

• In a state of Euphoria!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 05:51:11 pm »
I do not think you will find all the features you are looking for in that price range.  What are you using the spa for, recreation, socializing, or therapy, because I believe that factors into the decision.  When I was looking around I knew I wanted a high quality spa with great therapy and quality build because I am going to use it every morning and evening.  I also wanted a great warranty because I know something is going to break, and I dont want to worry about it.  This thing is suppose to be relaxing.  Why don't you take advantage of 12 months interest free financing.  Put down $3500 now and pay off the balance a year from now, that is an option

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 10:20:31 pm »
I also started with a budget in mind (nothing over $5K). While I did find pptions in that price range, none were accpetable. Most "larger" spas (i.e. 5 people or more) that sell under $5K are poorly insulated. I didn't like the idea of saving $1,500 upfront only to have it eaten out of my pocket every month thereafter.  Rather, I paid $6,500 for a well respected, efficent model designed to hold 6 people comfortably. Power bills increased only $20/month.  A friend of mine bought the $5,500 unit from a competitor and now has a $100/month bill ($50/month increase).  I guess you do sometimes get what you pay for. Hint,. hint... Make certain that anything you buy has ISO 9000 testing as part of their procedures.  It will eliminate about 50% of the dealers out there and 100% of the "build you own spa by adding jets mom and pop shops".
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 10:20:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42