What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best floor covering for a spa room?  (Read 2843 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Best floor covering for a spa room?
« on: March 21, 2005, 07:36:04 pm »
 I have a 4" concrete slab subfloor already installed, what's some waterproof options out there?

Obviously tile (porcelain has been recommended). How about acid stain and sealer? What else is out there?

7x7 tub going in a 12x12 room, whatever is used will be mostly covered up!

Thanks
John

Hot Tub Forum

Best floor covering for a spa room?
« on: March 21, 2005, 07:36:04 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Best floor covering for a spa room?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 09:02:02 pm »
acid staining works well and be done very reasonably .....it would work very well as would the tile.....

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 09:20:14 pm »
Partial to staining as with Tile you have grout and that can be a pain to clean!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 10:05:43 pm »
Acid wash is a fantastic look. I'm with the group on this one!

Steve

autoplay

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 07:04:02 am »
Tile is an option too (gotta promote my industry ;)  )

Porcelain tiles are very hard,and in most cases,slippery too. The slip factor would be a concern of mine. If you do go with tile,find something that offers some skid resistance. Also,grout it with epoxy,as it will hold up very well to chemicals,and staining.

On a side note,I plan on using wire cut brick pavers around my pool one of these days/years/decades ;)
Hoping the wife will hire out,verses using me as her personal pool boy :)

GL with whatever you decide,my advise to ya,let the water/slip factor play a part in your decision making process.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 07:27:16 am »

Thanks for the replies. The tile dealer we visited told us about the different resistant/slip ratings available, the samples my wife brought home seem ok dry, but may be too slippery wet (did the wet finger test).

The floor staining/sealing seemed like the best option in my case, cheaper to install, plus it should be easier to "squeegee" spilled water over to the floor drains.

I just have to make sure the sealer is entirely waterproof, as the slab can not absorb any moisture and transfer it to the adjoining rooms. (Carpet or laminate flooring).

I guess I could treat the entire floor like a large site-built shower stall, with rubber membrane pan, etc. That sounds $$$.

What ever we use, we also will  get some kind of rubber runners next to the steps, to be on the safe side.

On a side note,I plan on using wire cut brick pavers around my pool one of these days/years/decades ;)
Hoping the wife will hire out,verses using me as her personal pool boy :)

LOL, I have 14 pallets of "Interlock" pavers that we bought a few years ago to build a larger patio around our pool. After using a small bit of it to do some custom fill-in work on our front porch, I can relate!

By the time you grade, add "crush and run" fill and granite dust, cut and lay the pavers, rent and use the damper (along with more granite dust), you will definitely be ready for that hot tub.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 07:29:14 am by johnvb »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 07:27:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42