What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Phishing - Internet crooks  (Read 12273 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Phishing - Internet crooks
« on: March 11, 2005, 12:10:35 pm »
Have you heard of PHishing?  Crooks send you fake messages that take you to official looking websites that tell you to verify your account info, and then steal that information.  Here is one
http://account-info.4t.com/ebay-acc.html

I think it goes without saying if you have an ebay account DON'T input your data here!

I checked and this domain was registered through godaddy.com, which I have found many such criminal sites registered through them.  Thats all I am saying.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Phishing - Internet crooks
« on: March 11, 2005, 12:10:35 pm »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Phishing - Internet crooks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 12:41:30 pm »
It is an awful thing, PHishing!

My parents were almost duped, thank goodness my Mom had enough sense to ask!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 12:46:28 pm »
It is an awful thing, PHishing!

My parents were almost duped, thank goodness my Mom had enough sense to ask!!!

There is so much of this crap going on that the chances of anyone falling for it are dropping. I keep getting email almost everyday telling me to verify my account with Bank X, and I've never even heard of the bank.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 01:09:38 pm »
This is actually very easy to avoid. Just remember, there is NO legitimate organization that will EVER send you an email asking you to click a link in an email verify your account.

NO, NONE, NADA, BUPKIS!

Worse case, they MAY, though VERY unlikely, ask you to log into your account to update something. But they will be rather clear in not providing a link in the email telling you that they have intentionally NOT provided the link for safety reasons.

More likely, they will NOT email you, and the next time you log into your account there will be a message that something needs updating. Ebay and paypal work this way, for instance if the expiration date on your credit card has expired.

My stock brokerage has emailed me saying something to the effect that my account needed additional information and the next time I log in to check my messages for further information. The email didn't have a link to their website. When I did login, I got a nice popup message telling me about it.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 01:55:59 pm »
eBay has an address to forward these things to:

eBay Security Center
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 02:42:02 pm »
eBay has an address to forward these things to:

eBay Security Center

And I did. Some of these are in the far east and almost impossible to track, but this one seemed easier, so I went ahead and reported it

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 11:09:42 pm »
SPAM, Phishing - it's all getting out of control  My team at work looks after the exchange (email) complex for all of North America.  We receive over a million messages a day - close to 90% of them are deleted at the gateway in - it's all junk.  So much overhead!!  On the upside - at least we can delete it and prevent employees from having to waste time on it too...

I am fairly confident that there will be no SMTP mail at all in the near future - it's just so abused!

Hope you are having a good weekend!

Jodi
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 10:09:45 am »
I'm trying to put together a new little company to fight this stuff. Anyone who is intersted can please just send me a PM with your checking account number, credit card number and your social security number.

I'll get right back to you with your membership number.

;) ;) ;) ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 10:09:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42