What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bought tub...now what?  (Read 5267 times)

Greenraisin

• See you down life's highway!
Bought tub...now what?
« on: March 06, 2005, 08:00:57 pm »
I have read just about every thread you all have posted, pulled out most of my hair trying to decide on a spa, visited and wet tested a bunch of tubs, listened to more sales pitches than the law ought to allow, and decided on the Caldera Tahitian Utopea model. 2004 model and they were willing to work with me. Not the color we wanted, but a fair and decent price, I assume.

Just spend the weekend putting up a new deck to put it on, got my electrician lined up to wire the thing, and now have to arrange delivery for, hopefully, sometime this week.

Never had a spa before and only rode in a few over the years, but decided it's time, now that the kids are out of the house!

So, once this thing is delivered, setup, and ready, what can you all suggest as the absolute most wonderful thing about a spa? We are so looking forward to the lifestyle change!

Thanks to all for your insight, experiences, and suggestions. There's just not too much out there to do homework on!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 08:01:58 pm by Greenraisin »

Hot Tub Forum

Bought tub...now what?
« on: March 06, 2005, 08:00:57 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Bought tub...now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 08:43:36 pm »
1) Take a breath and have a bit of patience waiting for the installation to be complete. It can be nerve wracking.

2) Make sure your electrician consults the manufacturers wiring instructions that the dealer can/will provide. He may know what he's doing in general but unless he's worked on the brand you're putting in "I know how to hook up a spa" is not the repsonse you're looking for.

3) Ask the dealer to give you some type of full blown orientation after the spa is set up either at your place or at the store.

4) While you impatiently wait for it to heat up, keep the cover on it rather than checking the temp every 2 minutes and don't go in for that virgin soak until the readout hits triple digits.

5) Don't let the bottle of chlorine get too far from the spa. No matter what promises the sales guy gave you, you need to use chlorine to keep the water chemistry in shape. While caring for you spa requires more than chlorine alone, its the most important part along with checking PH/Alkalinity. I'd advise you to put 1-2 teaspoons of chlorine in PER USE and if it gets cloudy hit it a bit harder. When it starts to get cloudy you need to realize it doesn't take long to go from spa water to bath water.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 10:09:24 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 08:53:01 pm »
5) Don't let the bottle of chlorine get too far from the spa. No matter what promises the sales guy gave you, you need to use chlorine to keep the water chemistry in shape. While caring for you spa requires more than chlorine alone, its the most important part along with checking PH/Alkalinity. I'd advise you to put 1-2 teaspoons of chlorine in per week and if it gets cloudy hit it a bit harder. When it starts to get cloudy you need to realize it doesn't take long to go from spa water to bath water.

Are you sure about this? I thought it was 1 - 2 teaspoons after every soak and shock with 1 - 2 tablespoons every week.

spatexport

• Am I crazy, or is it just me?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 09:27:03 pm »
Many spa owners are so exited that they forget about the initial water treatment and even get in while the water is still tepid to wait for it to get hot.  

For your own sake and for those that enter the water after you, don't do it.

As stated before, use the chlorine and follow the manufacturer's instructions.  

Be patient and your spa experience will be wonderful.

...so ya' like being in hot water, do ya'?

omni2377

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 09:33:34 pm »
If you don't mind me asking, where are you, and what deal did you end up with? I ask since it is one of the models I am looking at...thanks
Mathew

Greenraisin

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 10:15:40 pm »
Cincinnati area...$7K and the normal accessories. That took my breath away, but then added the deck material, (did my own labor), and the electrician, (out of my realm of comfort). It adds up quickly!

Looking forward to getting in it!

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 10:57:28 pm »
So, once this thing is delivered, setup, and ready, what can you all suggest as the absolute most wonderful thing about a spa?

First, CONGRATS! Even more so when you are soaking (Hmmm, Greenraisin=Wetgrape?). "Most wonderful thing about a spa?" Well, let's see now.... It's time for a top 10!

10.) Checking your SECOND electric bill and finding out it wasn't as much as you thought it was going to be AFTER the first month.

9.) Buying a Watkins MFG line tub so Chas will congratulate you in his normally witty fashion.

8.) Realizing that 95% of women on the planet will fit into 3 sizes of string bikinies that you just happen to keep handy in the guest closet. The other 5% you don't want in your spa ANYWAY...  BTW, substitute male "tie thong" if you ARE a woman (just ask Bill -- errr, about the thong that is).

7.) Understanding that emptying the water goes a LONG way in fixing chem problems during the first 90 days of ownership.

6.) NOT realizing how many friends you have until they know you have a hot tub.

5.) Figuring out that Best Buy DOES sell a cable extension long enough to watch a NASCAR race while soaking, all you need is an extension cord.

4.) Getting adjusted to 104 degree water so you can stay in the tub for an hour or more without getting out.

3.) Suddenly realizing that sperm count in 104 degree water is a number on the way DOWN.

2.) REMEMBERING to keep a spare key outside for the rainy nights you skinny dip and leave everything else inside BEFORE locking yourself out.

AND, the # 1 reason?

1.) Having a hot tub means you can blab on and on about the stuff we talk about in this forum. Just don't PO the DAWG by busting on Master Spas (or anyone else's tub for that matter). Instead, tell them about how great YOURS is!

Peace and Hot Water...

Drewski

8)

P.S. I'm BACK Rob!
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 10:59:41 pm »
Cincinnati area...$7K and the normal accessories. That took my breath away, but then added the deck material, (did my own labor), and the electrician, (out of my realm of comfort). It adds up quickly!

I understand how you feel!

My simple deck project along with the tub grew and grEW and GREW.  Planning on doing most of the work myself and getting all the material prices in now along with electrician quotes to do a 200 Amp upgrade and other wiring for the deck and tub. It's turning out to be an expensive project!!!! I was almost tempted to call it quits and forget about everything but I realized I was being irrational.

$7K for a tub is not so bad. When I first started looking I ended up in a D1 showroom and they had tubs for $8-$10K there, I was thinking $5 - $6 K for a tub - boy was I wrong!

I agree that you should shock the tub really well before you get in for the first time then wait till the chlorine reading is low (2 PPM) before going in. My advice would be to get a Taylor test kit (K-2005) if it's not included in the package from the dealer. They have a great booklet on water management that comes with the kit.

The professionals here are great and extremely helpful!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 06:39:44 am »
Congratulations!

May you always have clean, hot, bubbly water!!!

Others have pretty much covered the benefits.

I really don't know what I would do without a tub, now...actually...I'll never go without a tub again!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Greenraisin

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 08:10:29 am »
Thanks to all! What I'm really fishing for here is what great things happen when you have a tub that didn't happen without one?

What routines have any of you found yourself in?

Morning soaks, evening soaks, favorite beverages, music, etc.,? we don't want to miss anything that you all have discovered!!!

Inquisitive minds want to know!!!

And no, Greenraisin does not equate to wet grape! I do suspect there will be some wrinkling, but I had a buddy in college who called me Greenraisin and when I asked him why, he replied, "Just how normal is a greenraisin?". He was right!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 08:15:18 am by Greenraisin »

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 08:22:34 am »
So, once this thing is delivered, setup, and ready, what can you all suggest as the absolute most wonderful thing about a spa you ask?

To be able to sit in it after dark relax and watch the stars. Dont worry about the chemicals now it will come to you as you go. Enjoy your new tub!!! ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 08:46:50 am »

Welcome Fellow Buckeye.  If you get it all hooked up on a weekday, get up an hour early and soak before work. The first few soaks are the best and your coworkers will love the new you :)  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 09:43:53 am »
9). Congratulations! May the blessed bird of paradise never perch on the powerline directly over your spa. However, if it does, you can always wear a hat....

Soak long and prosper...

;D :D ;D :D ::)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Greenraisin

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 10:27:24 am »
Our son graduated from Illinois last year and our daughter is at Ohio State. After the basketball game yesterday, where OSU beat the previously unbeaten Illini, we are deep need of family crisis management and therapy! If the tub was in, I would be in it as part of that therapy!

Thanks to all for your assistance and support! We look forward to being veterans of the tubber world!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 10:40:46 am »
. After the basketball game yesterday, where OSU beat the previously unbeaten Illini, we are deep need of family crisis management and therapy! If the tub was in, I would be in it as part of that therapy!

What a great game that was to watch, OSU only lead for 4.5 seconds.  Fortunately is was the last 4.5 seconds!  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 10:40:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42