What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Request for Help Purchasing new Spa  (Read 11194 times)

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
Newbie Request for Help Purchasing new Spa
« on: January 24, 2005, 07:23:32 pm »
Hi everyone!

I am moving to San Antonio in a couple of months and am having a house built there.  I am considering purchasing a spa.  I would most likely have it placed on the concrete patio I have yet to design in the back yard.

I am curious....what should I look for in a spa?  I dont think I would need a 7 person spa but perhaps one that would include 4 people.

My friend out here in New Mexico has a Hot  Spring's spa but unsure on the model and he really likes it.

I am looking at price, features, quality....etc.....

Been doing some reading here and find that there are many opinions.....thanks for all the help and anyone that lives in the San Antonio area and can recommend places to look please let me know.  I will be there in March...move into the new home in June.

Thanks again everyone...glad I stumbled in here!

Regards :)

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie Request for Help Purchasing new Spa
« on: January 24, 2005, 07:23:32 pm »

TC

Re: Newbie Request for Help Purchasing new Spa
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 09:50:21 pm »
My wife and I just purchased a Caldera Elation and just love it.  We looked at a couple of other spas but the Hot Springs/Caldera seemed to be very high quality.  We looked at the Thermaspa but we experienced terrible customer service and quickly marked that one off the list.  I asked a number of questions on this web page and was given excellent advice which led to our purchase.  We've only had ours for about two weeks but if I had to do over I may have purchased a slightly larger model.  One other thing.  Be very "picky" where you put the hot tub.  I don't imagine it gets real cold in San Antonio but I have my tub very close to my back door.  It really helps when it gets very cold....not far to run.  Some of my friends have their tubs farther away from thier back doors and it seems they don't use it as much.  Don't know if that's the reason but once it's wired in you really can't move it without alot of pain.  Anyway, good luck with your choice.  Continue to ask questions on this web site and you won't go wrong.  Good Luck.

TC

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 10:27:10 pm »
Guttboy...Love the name...

Make sure you wet test every spa on your list. One of the worst calls a dealer gets is when your spa doesn't fit you, or you float, or sit too high, too low ect.

Keep in mind you may float in one model and not another, even within the same spa manufacturer.

I think it's another good way to see your dealer's attitude and temperment. The relationship you have wih your dealer will be ongoing.

Spend some time learning the functions of each tub. And if your testing quite a few spas, take notes.

Goodluck and happy hunting!

Spahappy :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 10:30:56 pm by spahappy »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 10:51:12 pm »
 Be very "picky" where you put the hot tub.  I don't imagine it gets real cold in San Antonio but I have my tub very close to my back door.  It really helps when it gets very cold....not far to run.  Some of my friends have their tubs farther away from thier back doors and it seems they don't use it as much.  

I always preach the same thing.

Guttboy,
If you go to the websites of the major manufacturers you typically will find a website that allows you to enter your zip code to see where their nearest dealer is. Everyone has their favorite spa manufacturers but for Quality and Service reasons my list is in no particular order: D1, Hot Spring, Caldera, Marquis, Sundance and Jacuzzi (others have their favorites such as Master, Dynasty, Coleman, etc.). Use the websites to see who is close by, visit as many as you can, get a feel for how well you think they'll take care of you both before and after the sale, wet test your favorite 2 or 3 and purchase that which seems best for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Guttboy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 08:29:57 pm »
Great advice everyone!

I am not really sure on price ranges for spa's....I see advertised ones from 2000 up to 10000 and more I guess.

It is just me and the lady who will use it primarily....perhaps a guest or two but just two people for the most part.

What are some common "newbie" things to avoid when walking into the dealer and asking questions....are there scams to be aware of...not saying that hot tub salespeople are bad mind you but for someone new going  into this big purchase there may be things to look out for such as when buying a car!

When you figure out which one you really like....then how long from when you order it can a dealer usually get one to you?  Its not like months is it?

Can they also set it up for you?  My reasoning is that I have absolutely NO way to move such a massive thing to my house and I honestly dont know how anyone could move it over or between the fence (standard opening about 3' wide to the backyard.)

Got tons of questions but will leave it at that for now....by the way how long do you usually research these things?  Months?  Are there any good websites besides this and the dealer ones to go to?  Are there brands to avoid......Right now the HotSpring's Envoy looks to be the one I like so far from the pictures/features.

Thanks again for the nice welcome!  And I will be sure to pick a nice location for it as we still havent even built the house or the patio yet...still in the blueprint stages....I would like to be able to look up at the stars while in the tub!!!!!

Regards!

Mike :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 10:01:10 pm »
Most dealers I went to said they would set up a spa but wouldn't lift it over a fence. The dealer I bought from said the need a 42" opening (I have a 41" and they said it's ok) and they will place a spa on a deck up to 48" tall. Anything above that they would use a crane - that would be $$$. Also my dealer will come back after they deliver the spa and the electric is installed to give me an orientation. This may be true of a lot of dealers - just ask.

As for delivery time - it seems it all depends on the dealer and the inventory that they carry. My tub will take about 6 weeks from ordering to receive but reading here some people get theirs delivered next day IF the dealer has it in stock.

As far as price range Hot Springs tend to be a little more costly than other tubs. I looked at a 2004 Vanguard for about $7,400 with ozone, lifter and steps to give you a reference. I was told by all the dealers I went to that the 2005 prices will be more due to petroleum prices.

As far as researching ... I have been researching for years, dreaming of the day I could afford a tub - LOL and I have a friend who went out and bought a tub in one day. There's no set rule!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Guttboy

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 10:40:58 pm »
Thanks for the info Vinny.....

Is setup something that should be negotiated with the dealer?

It seems as though from the reading here that its kind of a bargaining process with the dealer for the best deal you can get whether it be accessories or price or whatever....

Regards,

Mike

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 07:16:20 am »
Hi Mike,

I bought my tub in 2003 (HotSpring Vanguard) and I love it.

Ok, that being said, my advice would be: WET TEST, WET TEST, and WET TEST!  (In no particular order!)

I had a crane delivery, long story, but I didn't check the clearance before I bought, but in my area it ended up being very affordable.  

Good luck!

You might try a search on ZZ Top's posts, I think he had a great posting about this very subject!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 07:22:08 am »
Guttboy,

I believe that you will make the right decision on your spa purchase once you do the following;

A.. Visit with 3 to 4 local dealers, get some insight on what they have, how long they have been dealing with the particular brand they are offering, who is doing their follow up service, if needed. I feel that this is the MOST  important step in your purchasing process. Service is key, I don't care how much you spend, but if you cannot get it service is is useless.

B.. Look for something that is within your means, don't  overspend if you don't have to. Not everyone drives a Mercedes...

C.. There are alot of good brands out there, it can become very confusing, take your time and select one that you feel comfortable with. Not only the spa, but the dealer as well.

D. CRUCIAL..., WET TEST... Make sure you wet test the models that you have interest in. It may look like a great spa for your needs, but you may not fit comfortably in it. You must WET TEST before you buy.
I am sure there are more issues to purchasing a spa, but these are the ones that I feel won't get you in trouble.

Good Luck in your search... ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 07:23:00 am by hottubber »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 08:12:12 am »
Guttboy,

What Lori and hottuber said is true.

In my area (NJ) crane delivery is expensive, in other areas it may not be. Also, as hottubber said look into your pocket also. If you can afford and want a 9,000 tub for example then by all means buy it, but there are alternitives.

In my case I started at $5,000 and wasn't finding anything that I liked. I upped it to $6,000 and saw some and upped it again to $7,000 and found my tub. It wasn't the cheapest that I looked at but it worked for me.

In my search, I probably went to see 12 or so tubs and dealers, Some were OK , some were awful and some were great. Some dealers work on their own equipment  and some don't. My dealer told me that they give preferential treatment to their customers when the tub needs service.

As far as negotiating the setup, most dealers said they would deliver and set up (none said they would hook up the electric and I wouldn't expect them to). Quite frankly, I didn't negotiate anything for my tub - I walked in and talked to the dealer, she gave me a price and I thought it was fair, so I bought it.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
;DRe: Newbie Request for Help Purchasing new Spa
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 02:40:07 pm »
Go with you gut, Boy..... ;D

Guttboy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 02:44:10 pm »
LOL thanks.....

What do you look for in a Dry test and in a Wet test...

I totally uncerstand a wet test is how it is going to feel but on a dry test....?????

Regards,

:)

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 02:58:01 pm »
When I read the original post my first thought was of the consistency of this question. I know I posed it when I first started looking for a tub.  

I remebered some excellent posts (ZZTop especially but not exclusively) at having put together an excellent compilation of what to look for in a hot tub, what to ask dealers when shopping, some tricks like writing down information about likes and dislikes (Lori) and many many others.

I wonder if it would be appropriate to have something like that put together. Kinda like a an FAQ or top 10 questions asked. Seems to me that a lot of repetition is made whenever this and other frequently asked questions are posted.

I like seeing the answers and it does add a great personal touch when we all chime in to answer, but it may also provide a great resource to the WWW if some of these were put into some greater form.

McCall you mentioned that there was some thought of looking at the forum's structure and maybe re-designing some parts of it. I thought first of sending this via PM but then thought open to all may bring about a discussion about others ideas about this forum and what would be seen as improving an already excellent information resource IMHO.

I wont be offended if this post is removed as it is not really spa related.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 03:03:56 pm »
Doodoo,

I would consider it on topic.  You are just trying to direct him to valuable posts.  And in the process, you are giving great insight!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Guttboy

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 03:05:17 pm »
Hmmm....I agree....but however I find it hard to search in here.....only limited to a small range.....and when ever I type in ZZtop.....I get ....other things in the search.....

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 03:05:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42