What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SPA ON GROUND PLACEMENT  (Read 2584 times)

BAMMspa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
SPA ON GROUND PLACEMENT
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:18:52 pm »
The Coleman Spa I am looking at has an ABS Sealed Pan bottom.  Does this spa really need to go on a concrete pad, deck or pavers?  Can it go on a flat packed stone, gravel or sand surface?   One dealer said his spa could go on any surface, another said 4" of concrete with 4" of stone beneath it.  This spa will be placed next to my concrete patio in an area which is presently lawn and my property is 50 yrs. old so all settlement in the ground/lawn has occured.  Your comments are greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

SPA ON GROUND PLACEMENT
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:18:52 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: SPA ON GROUND PLACEMENT
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:46:00 pm »
What Coleman says matters more than anything, since they can invalidate the warranty coverage for cabinet or shell damage if the foundation is sub par.  
Check the owners manual for Coleman's recommendation, and go with that.
Brewman
Brewman

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 08:52:16 am »
Bamm,

Brewman is correct. This isn't a question for the board, it has to be a question for the manufacturer. Check with Coleman, see what their recommendations are.
I know that almost all manufacturers expect a solid, level base of either, concrete, paver stones, patio blocks or wood sub-deck, even an EZ Pad. The concern here for the manufacturer would be covering a cracked shell that may have been installed improperly.

Good Luck...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 08:53:24 am by hottubber »

nicker

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 08:55:49 am »
I agree if the dealer/mfg says its ok then sure.  I would possibly make sure that is in writing.  The only thing I would wonder is.  What type of climate do you live it.  Do you get frost, if so the ground could lift in spots with freeze/thaws so that could cause the spa to life and sink in only certain areas and that would not be good to the stucture of the spa.

Things to consider.

Good luck

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 09:04:13 am »
Here is the reason why it is important to YOU....
One day, about 15 years ago, I did an outdoor, 3 day sales event. I positioned one of my operating spas in a not so good spot. The area wasn't even close to level, so I propped up the low corner of the spa. It was now level. Filled it up , no problems for 2 1/2 days. On the third day, we had a tremendous amount of rain, the area that I had built up washed away. The spa still was level, but with no support under the corner.
While talking to a perspective buyer, I heard a snap, when we looked at the spa, the corner of the acrylic that was not supported CRACKED about 10 inches long.
:-/
A word to the wise,... do it right the first time.

PS, We did sell the customer a spa, showed him what not to do. ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 09:06:24 am by hottubber »

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 09:32:19 am »
you may think your  property may have settled after 50 years but stick a spa with over 3,000 pounds of water in it and see if settlement doesn't occur. If your looking for a less permanent solution than a concrete pad I have see "spa pads" which are similar to the devices you see under air conditioner units outside of homes with central air. These are lighweight pads made of plastic and can be moved. They will help level out the situation. I still agree with the above about checking with the manufacturer!

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 01:41:13 pm »
We sell Coleman spas and recomend a solid base under all spas. That can be concrete, wood, pavers,  trex, or the types of EZ pads that are now available.

The story Hottubber told is a good example of why. Hottubber I'm impressed you were able to save the deal after that.

Spahappy :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 01:41:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42