What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mexican Riviera  (Read 9010 times)

anne

Mexican Riviera
« on: June 12, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
OK, this is "BS somewhat hot tub related" in that it has to do with relaxation, which is what a tub is all about, right?

I am planning a trip to the Yucutan area this fall. I have never  been there, and I'm finding all of the options a bit intimitading. I have researched a bit on Akumal and Tulum, but we are not set on ANYTHING. Anyone have any advice- specifically along these lines:

We are looking for a quiet, uncrowded, mellow (ie, NOT Cancun) beautiful location, want beach/snorkel time as well as time exploring the ruins. It would be great if we were staying somewhere that we could walk to restaurants/shops/etc, but we'll probably also have a rental car or use busses for other journeys.

Can anyone recommend:

which town to stay in? Any specific hotal/condo/casita?

Anyone have inside travel advice (fly into Cancun or Cozumel? Is it safe to rent cars?)

Any great things to see that we just cant miss?

We're going in the "off" season at the beginning of september.

thanks!!!!!

Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

Mexican Riviera
« on: June 12, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Mexican Riviera
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 12:29:02 pm »
Sounds great Anne. I hope you have a good time.

FWIW:

I have had good luck with http://www.tripadvisor.com/  the webiste reviews hotels, and areas of many many places.

You have to read the reviews carefully and understand who is writing them, but it can help and get a better understanding of the hotels, thier sytle , who enjoyed them, who didn't and what attractions and sites are in the area.,
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:53:28 pm »
Sounds great Anne. I hope you have a good time.

FWIW:

I have had good luck with http://www.tripadvisor.com/  the webiste reviews hotels, and areas of many many places.

You have to read the reviews carefully and understand who is writing them,

Good advice for any online forum.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 02:34:08 pm »

Good advice for any online forum.

So very true.

With the travel site, I've found the worst reveiws to read are from Brides on thier honeymoons.  the review is either glowing  (and each morning  my darling hubby Biff would wake me up with a rose and soft butterly kisses ) or trash the place (The hotel is from the bowel of hell, and a disgusting pile of feces, They forgot to provide me with my honeymoon chocolate on my pillow).

Eh.

I found the perfect place in Costa Rica when a lady trashed a hotel because they did not provide activities for children. "Hmmmm. Sounds perfect to me.!"  It ended up being one of the best rated resorts in the country.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:35:38 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 02:36:27 pm »
I'm suprised there are Mexican tourist spots are still open.  Vincente Fox came to the US earlier this year, I thought he was the last one and they closed the place up.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 03:26:21 pm »
We stayed here for a few days a while back, AWESOME!http://www.tomzap.com/cococabanas.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 03:27:57 pm by Wisoki »
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

anne

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 10:46:33 pm »
Wikosi- that place looks great. We're going to be on the eastern side of Mexico, south of Cancun. I am about to make reservations here:

http://www.locogringo.com/akumal/luna_azul.htm?name=Luna%20Azul

:D

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 07:03:49 am »
Anne, I was in Cancun years ago, before they ruined it!
Tulum was beautiful, the snorkeling was great and we were particularly facinated with the ruins...Hubby rented a VW and we drove for hours through the rain forests...don't know what we were thinking...but we were young and really stupid...no concerns that we had no idea where on earth we were...Still it was all beautiful and probably the more you can avoid the "hot spots", the more you will enjoy the Yucutan.  Have a great time!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 07:12:49 am »
Anne, I was in Cancun years ago, before they ruined it!
Tulum was beautiful, the snorkeling was great and we were particularly facinated with the ruins...Hubby rented a VW and we drove for hours through the rain forests...don't know what we were thinking...but we were young and really stupid...no concerns that we had no idea where on earth we were...Still it was all beautiful and probably the more you can avoid the "hot spots", the more you will enjoy the Yucutan.  Have a great time!

Never been there, what is the stupid part?  No AAA, lots of snakes?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 07:56:19 am »
I guess the stupid part was...we did this about 22 years ago. The roads were very poorly marked...homes along the main road were marked with tin cans on sticks.  We had no maps or directions, we just filled up the tank and took off south...neither of us were fluent in Spanish and we were definately off the beaten path!  No phones, no gas stations..no good sense! Snakes are cool with me but as I look back now...I guess we are lucky we found our way back to civilization!  My husband is not one to go on tours, he just made his own tour.
At one point we were stopped by the police and told if we didn't pay them $60.00 they would take our driver's
license (which was the only required ID to get back into the States)....I jumped out of the car and went nuts and told them I would go to the Embasy because they were just shaking us down...they actually gave my husband his license back...and drove off. That was probably pretty stupid on my part too...but they mad me really mad...anyway the rest of the vacation was great and I imagine by now most of that rain forest is developed.. :(

TD

• new Bahia owner
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 01:43:14 am »
My wife and I stayed at the Moon Palace 7 years ago, its about 20 minutes south of Cancun. There are also other new Palace resorts further south toward Playa del Carmen, I believe, which have opened since then. The Moon Palace is a great resort, somewhat secluded, no children, all rooms are oceanfront and have their own hot tub inside the room at the balcony overlooking the ocean (it just takes a little time to fill it with hot water for each use), and a refrigerator in each room stocked daily with beer, sodas, and water. Food was great, and good entertainment. As far as walking to a town, this is not the place for that. You should go to the Mayan ruins at Tulum, if possible. Flying into Cancun is fine, then its a bus ride to your particular resort. We had a very good time there and will probably go back someday, but the last few years we have spent our vacations in Jamaica, we just prefer the better service and hospitality there over the trips we have taken to the Mexican Riviera. Good luck in your quest and on your trip.

anne

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 04:39:16 pm »
thanks for the advice!

We're staying in a 1bd condo, right on th beach, with a little terrace that looks out over the water, too. Hope it turns out to be as good as it sounds. A friend directed me to locogringo.com for accomodations, and so far I have been very happy with working with them.

Ahhhhhhh, vacation time is requested, reservation is made......I cant wait!!!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 04:49:33 pm »
Anne, Be sure to try to see some of the ruins...they are really fantastic.

anne

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 04:18:32 am »
we absolutely will!!! that is part of how we chose this destination.

Viper_Dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:34 am »
Anne, is there anything you want me to get you pamplets or brochures for? I'm headed to the Riviera Maya area in 6 days! My soon to be wife and I are staying at the Adventura Spa Palace:
http://www.palacehoneymoons.com/adventura/

I'll be sure to post pictures when we get back. We're leaving June 25th, and we come back July 3rd.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42