What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Master Spa steel frame  (Read 16888 times)

fatman

Master Spa steel frame
« on: January 13, 2005, 05:52:26 pm »
A few weeks ago I was talking with a Master Spa dealer and during his sales pitch to me, he made a big deal about Master Spa being the only hot tub on the market built with a steel frame.  I haven't heard of anyone on this forum experiencing hot tub collapse or major shell cracking so is a steel frame that important?

Hot Tub Forum

Master Spa steel frame
« on: January 13, 2005, 05:52:26 pm »

huh?

• "42"
Re: Master Spa steel frame
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 05:57:05 pm »
Please don't assume all of the Master Spas Dealers are this way.  This topic has been debated before.  Master is not the only one doing it.  There are benefits IMO.  And others will say there are no benefits.
¿

BIG_PAPA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 07:07:36 pm »
Ask the dealer if there is any chance of the frame rusting.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 09:44:54 pm »
A few weeks ago I was talking with a Master Spa dealer and during his sales pitch to me, he made a big deal about Master Spa being the only hot tub on the market built with a steel frame.  I haven't heard of anyone on this forum experiencing hot tub collapse or major shell cracking so is a steel frame that important?

Master spa uses an automotive grade steel that will eventually rust.

No they are not the only ones that do it....MAAX industries uses a "Gavalume" steel product with a lifetime warranty on the Coleman and the Elite lines.

I have seen shell cracking from poor frames in a spa and infact have seen a master spa 1050 crack because the had no middle "cross supports" on the long side.

Most of the frame failures I have seen were on 2 x 2 stapled frames that many manufactures do to try and save money!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 11:27:44 am »
Since I live right on the Gulf coast and have salt water canals on 2 sides of my house with my spa located on an exterior deck 8' off the ground, I would think this environment to be rather detrimental to any metal spa frame.  My LSX has been in place for 6 months.  The last time I had a panel off was about 1.5 months ago.  A careful inspection of the framing at that time showed the beginnings of oxidation (rust) only on the cut edges of the framing members--no other signs of oxidation were evident anywhere else including the faces of the framing material.  I wish I could get a piece of the same material that Coleman uses for their tubs and place it inside the spa (hey--another advantage for the TP design!) in order to have a comparison of the two.  Any Coleman dealers game?  Otherwise, I'm pleased with the results thus far--only time will tell. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 12:23:37 pm »
.  A careful inspection of the framing at that time showed the beginnings of oxidation (rust) only on the cut edges of the framing members--

Would it be worth cleaning that up now and perhaps spraying it with something like a clear Krylon?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 01:27:14 pm »

Would it be worth cleaning that up now and perhaps spraying it with something like a clear Krylon?

I don't know, Bill.  It is such a small edge....just the thickness of the metal itself though it is as long as the metal pieces themselves and it is isolated to the edge alone.  Right now, from what I'm seeing, I'm not concerned.  Certainly I'll be monitoring it every couple-3 months.  Otherwise, under the covers, it looks like day 1..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 01:43:09 pm »
I haven't heard of anyone on this forum experiencing hot tub collapse  

I hadn't until yesterday. My service crew moved a spa. Or should I say tried to. The frame did collapse. The spa is less than two years old. I won't say what brand but I can tel you it was framed with 1*2"'s and 2*2"'s. The brand is rated 4* on poolandspa.com and has been critisized for their marketing/pricing strategies.

I doubt a well built spa with 2*3 or 2*4 construction would hve the same issue, especially if the bottom is sealed with ABS.
Homeworks Financing Representative

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 01:56:40 pm »
 Wood is not as strong, and it rots. Steel,even stainless will rust.  So what is a better alternative to bracing supports under tubs?  Are we talking about cabinet, shell,or both?  Do any manufactures use a better material ?  Why not a hard plastic, polymer or something.  
   Wouldn't a better alternative be, building cabinets,shells, and floors that are strong enough that they don't need extra support? Or would a manufacture that did take the extra time and  spend the money to build tubs this way, be persicuted by the industry and those in it, for not staying with the industry standards?

nicker

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 02:02:57 pm »
I couldn't imagine building a spa with 2x2's .  But I also would take that review list from Poolandspa.com too seriously either.   Looking at the "Delux Class Recommended" I see Cal Spa there.  Perhaps it was a printing mistake.  

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 02:05:38 pm »
Wood is not as strong, and it rots. Steel,even stainless will rust.  So what is a better alternative to bracing supports under tubs?  Are we talking about cabinet, shell,or both?  Do any manufactures use a better material ?  Why not a hard plastic, polymer or something.  
    Wouldn't a better alternative be, building cabinets,shells, and floors that are strong enough that they don't need extra support? Or would a manufacture that did take the extra time and  spend the money to build tubs this way, be persicuted by the industry and those in it, for not staying with the industry standards?

Get off the soap box. You are no marter.

A claim of superiority is just that, even if you dont say what brand you sell in the post.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 02:09:57 pm by HotTubMan »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 02:08:58 pm »
I couldn't imagine building a spa with 2x2's .  But I also would take that review list from Poolandspa.com too seriously either.   Looking at the "Delux Class Recommended" I see Cal Spa there.  Perhaps it was a printing mistake.  

I know the star system is bogus. I was trying to give hints without bashing a competitor while also showing the star sytem means squat.

I can think of a manufacturer that until this year was unrated and made light of the poolandspa site ratings in the stores that I shopped. This year that manufacturer ponied up the dough and are now 4-star. I wonder if anyone can guess who that is? Stabone? JP?

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 02:41:37 pm »
I know the star system is bogus. I was trying to give hints without bashing a competitor while also showing the star sytem means squat.

I can think of a manufacturer that until this year was unrated and made light of the poolandspa site ratings in the stores that I shopped. This year that manufacturer ponied up the dough and are now 4-star. I wonder if anyone can guess who that is? Stabone? JP?

Hmm, it's on the tip of my tounge giving me a bad taste right now for some reason....lol

cflrules

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 02:42:13 pm »
   I guess it would have nothing to do with the actual quality of the product itself would it...... ::)

You guys are relentless.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 02:43:26 pm by cflrules »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55:14 pm »
Steel is not necessarily stronger than wood and does not necessarily have a longer life.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42