What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What does Potassium pero....??  (Read 4912 times)

mhraracing

What does Potassium pero....??
« on: January 09, 2005, 05:23:29 pm »
Hi all I have a quick chemical question ?

My dealer recommends that I put in 3 tbls of Potassium Peroxymonosulfate or otherwise known as SpaGuard Spa Sock in after every use - along with 1 tbls of dichlor.

What does the potassium peromagingy stuff....... do for the spa ??

Also - how often should I use SpaGuard Enhanced Shock(MPS) ??

So far after my first episode - things seem to be going well with my water chemistry (knock on wood) - so I was just wondering what all this stuff does.

Thanks
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

What does Potassium pero....??
« on: January 09, 2005, 05:23:29 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: What does Potassium pero....??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 05:27:25 pm »
MPS with Dichlor every use? I don't think so. MPS works great, but it really adds to TDS, so after every use and with Dichlor, doesn 't sound good to me.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 05:28:11 pm »
A simple discription would be that it burns off orgainic waste left from sanitizer killing bacteria and helps activate or maximize the sanitizers.....

mhraracing

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 05:45:41 pm »
MPS with Dichlor every use? I don't think so. MPS works great, but it really adds to TDS, so after every use and with Dichlor, doesn 't sound good to me.

I thought MPS was Enhanced Shock ....Not Spa Shock(PP) and/or Chlorinating Concentrate(Dichlor) ??

All these acronyms make me crazy ?!?!?! :-/
Caldera Geneva Utopia

mhraracing

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 05:47:56 pm »
A simple discription would be that it burns off orgainic waste left from sanitizer killing bacteria and helps activate or maximize the sanitizers.....

So should I be putting in 3 tbls after every use ?

And should use the enhanced weekly as discribed in the directions ??

FWIW - the spa is only used by my wife and I.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 05:52:27 pm »
Spa Shock is MPS Potassium Peroxi monopersulfate.

Enhanced shock is the same thing but with a clarifier and some dichlor mixed in....

I use about a TBLSP after each use....

mhraracing

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 06:46:10 pm »
Ok....so now I am totally confused  ???

How about if I try this....................

What would you recommend as a daily routine of chemicals ?

Here are the specs......
475 gallon Caldera w/Ozone and Monarch Silver Cartridge - Used daily for about 45 mins per dip by 2 adults.  - Filled with well water that tested -
pH - 7.4
Tot Alk - 109
Tot Hardness - 144
and Zero all the other stuff like copper/iron/mag/algea etc....

Or am I just overanalyzing everything....like a spa newbie  ??
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 07:23:46 pm »
Ok....so now I am totally confused  ???

pH - 7.4
Tot Alk - 109
Tot Hardness - 144
and Zero all the other stuff like copper/iron/mag/algea etc....

Alk=OK
Hard=OK but could be more
other stuff=good
Add a tblsp after use of Enhanced shock
Or am I just overanalyzing everything....like a spa newbie  ??

Yes..... ;) If the water looks good, set in it and relax! 8)

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 07:31:54 pm »
Mhra,

FWIW,

My dealer recommends that you put 3 tbsp of MPS (not enhanced shock) into the spa before you use.  

I follow Northmans regimen on RHtubs site.  I put 2-3 tsps of Spa Guard Enhanced Shock into the spa after I get out.  Kills all the nasties, leaving the ozinator and Nature2 silver ions to keep watch over things until I return.  I shocked today with 6 tblspns of MPS, no enhanced shock.  I alternate between MPS and Enhanced Shock for shocking.

Jonathan

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 09:30:49 am »
mhra,
As with many other things in life, there are many ways to "skin the cat" (apologies to cat lovers--I have three and all still have their pelts intact though there are times......)   Here's my routine for my 450 gal. tub which uses ozone and mineral filters:
After soaking:  1-3 tsp. dichlor--volume used depends on bather load
Once a week:
3 tbsp. unbuffered MPS + 1 tbsp. dichlor
                                   OR
3 tbsp. dichlor
There are 2 factors that help me determine whether to use MPS+dichlor or straight dichlor during the weekly shock:  time alloted for the next soak after shock and pH/TA readings before shock.  If the next soak will be within 24 hrs., I use MPS.  If the pH/TA are high, I use MPS, which will drop pH/TA more so than dichlor.  If pH/TA are within range and no soaks are expected within 24 hrs., I use dichlor.
Hope this helps. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 10:19:24 am »
mhra,
As with many other things in life, there are many ways to "skin the cat" (apologies to cat lovers--I have three and all still have their pelts intact though there are times......)   Here's my routine for my 450 gal. tub which uses ozone and mineral filters:
After soaking:  1-3 tsp. dichlor--volume used depends on bather load
Once a week:
3 tbsp. unbuffered MPS + 1 tbsp. dichlor
                                    OR
3 tbsp. dichlor
There are 2 factors that help me determine whether to use MPS+dichlor or straight dichlor during the weekly shock:  time alloted for the next soak after shock and pH/TA readings before shock.  If the next soak will be within 24 hrs., I use MPS.  If the pH/TA are high, I use MPS, which will drop pH/TA more so than dichlor.  If pH/TA are within range and no soaks are expected within 24 hrs., I use dichlor.
Hope this helps. 8)

I agree with this,  one addition, if the water is slightly cloudy I will use MPS.  It seems to me based, on nothing scientific, that MPS clears cloudy water faster.

My 3 cats say, no offense taken.

Nikki slept through it. (She's 20)

Sidney didn't seem too happy (She's 4)

Mickey also slept through it.  He's about 1 1/2

None of these cats enjoy the hot tub, but Mickey and Sidney do like to watch from the kitchen window
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 10:30:38 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 11:12:54 am »
I agree with this,  one addition, if the water is slightly cloudy I will use MPS.  It seems to me based, on nothing scientific, that MPS clears cloudy water faster.

It can! It helps to oxygenate the water and thereby causing bacteria to breakdown even more.

Often after you have shocked with MPS you will see brown scum around the waterline or being drawn into the filter (in a Marquis ;)) This is partially a result of the oxide bringing the "gunk" (scientific term) to the surface...

mhraracing

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 08:26:18 pm »
Thanks all - I think I got it now.

Not going to put in Spa Shock oxidizer(mps) - in after every use just going put in 1 tblsp of Chlorinating Concentrate sanitizer(dichlor) - give or take after every use.

Then maybe 3 times per week - will use the Spa shock along with the dichlor.

Then once a week or so - hit it with 1.5 oz Enhanced Shock - Instead of the other stuff.

Hows that sound ???

I did notice that many of you are only using the Enhanced shock for daily dosage....my dealer said to only use that after heavy usage or having a couple friends over...also said to make sure when I use it...to leave the cover off for at least 20 mins ??

D
Caldera Geneva Utopia

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 11:26:39 pm »
Thanks all - I think I got it now.

Not going to put in Spa Shock oxidizer(mps) - in after every use just going put in 1 tblsp of Chlorinating Concentrate sanitizer(dichlor) - give or take after every use.

Then maybe 3 times per week - will use the Spa shock along with the dichlor.

Then once a week or so - hit it with 1.5 oz Enhanced Shock - Instead of the other stuff.

Hows that sound ???

I did notice that many of you are only using the Enhanced shock for daily dosage....my dealer said to only use that after heavy usage or having a couple friends over...also said to make sure when I use it...to leave the cover off for at least 20 mins ??

D

Remember to leave the cover open when you use the Chlorinating Concentrate sanitizer(dichlor), the chlorine is much more concentrated than Enhanced Shock.

I think you should be ok, just check the ph and see if it stays balanced.  Enhanced shock does pretty good with keeping it even.  My dealer told my to use Chlorinating Concentrate sanitizer(dichlor) only when the spa turns on me.  Not sure if that is correct or not.

Jonathan

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 11:26:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42