What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How do you define "Canadian"?  (Read 16160 times)

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
How do you define "Canadian"?
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:00:42 am »
As a university student, I am currently engulfed in a rather large reseach paper that is examining the Canadian identity (or lack there-of) in Canadian literature and I thought this might be an interesting place to 'gather' a few perceptions on what  you (reader) thinks of  when considering Canadian identity.

Those of you inside and outside of Canada - who are interested - could you add a few words or even just a few things that you feel symbolize Canadian culture.

This would be helpful and could end up supporting my thesis. Thanks in advance to all that choose to respond!

Jc

How do you know how much you don't know?

Hot Tub Forum

How do you define "Canadian"?
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:00:42 am »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: How do you define "Canadian"?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 12:30:10 pm »
These are some things that I feel define Canadians:
Humanitarian
Hockey
Peaceful
Multicultural

I'll add more as I think of them.
Homeworks Financing Representative

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:30:28 pm »
Interesting topic. you should get some interesting responses.  I grew up in the 60's and 70's on the south shore of Lake Erie, in Pennsylvania.  This was before the internet obviously and we made numerous trips into Niagra Falls, so that was my first experience with going out of the country.  ;D Back then we had CB radios (70's) and it was considered a technological miracle to be able to talk to Canadians with out long distances charges, even if techinically it wasn't legal.

There has always been a warm friendship amongt individuals of both countries for each other. No place on earth has as long of a basically unguarded border as do our two countries.

The perception may be today that this relationship has diminished, but I don't think so.  Today's media saturation and internet frenzy gives way too much voice for the "vocal minority"  who might blow any issue way out of importance.  I do think 9/11 has changed that relationship somewhat on the surface and made mutual existence a little more difficult the basic goodwill still exists.

Living in an NHL city means our Canadian born population has increased and I know they feel as comfortable here as we would there.

Now getting back to "The Canadian identity" I think that the Westen English speaking world is becoming a little more generic, but Canadians and Americans having had thier country built largely on immigrant populations are searching to celebrate those things that make them unique and to celebrate them the way our grandparents use to be "German, Irish, Italian, and so one by passing on the old culture while being Canadian or American.

I guess my perception of being "Canadian" or for that matter being "American" means what it always has, but perhaps a bit watered down from 50 years ago.

IN honor of the spirit of the original post, please don't let this degrade into a politicial argument.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:33:05 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 01:06:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies! :D

I want to reiterate what Bill stated - by no means should this degenerate into a political debate - that is clearly not my intention and anyone who decides to introduce such politically charged statements has failed to understand the true nature of this post.

Thanks for bringing that up. In my ignorance I did not consider the possible implications of my inquiry.

Lets just have some fun! :D

For me, I see my Canada as great country but not without its faults. Hockey, maple syrup and the ability to jump into the tub when its -25 degrees might suggest or define us as all just a little nutty but with good intentions! :)

Jc

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 01:17:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies! :D

. In my ignorance I did not consider the possible implications of my inquiry.

And you shouldn't have to.  It just seems like anywhere on the internet you try to have a discussion similar to this it seems to go that way and as I have said before, I've seen it ruin many good discussion groups.  We have a talk show here on Saturday morning that I use to really enjoy. Now poeple call in with thier typewritten agendas and drone on forever.

define us as all just a little nutty but with good intentions! :)

Jc

Don't we all want to be that way ? At least occasionally?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

zzaphod42

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 03:19:52 pm »
examining the Canadian identity (or lack there-of) in Canadian literature

I still remember my grade ten history class trying to explore Canadian Identity with little success.  

We, as students, were unable to describe what it meant to be Canadian other than to say we weren't American. (We weren't saying we were better or worse, simply different.)

I find now that it is still hard to express what makes me Canadian.

For me being Canadian means (among other things) feeling honoured and privilaged to live in a country that offers a high level of safety, freedom, and comfort in all aspects of life.

On a lighter note, I think it is a common Canadian trait to have a twisted love/hate relationship with winter. I always "feel" more Canadian when I am outside in the middle of winter, (freezing my butt off) talking to my bait, trying to catch fish. Likewise, I can be driving to work while it's snowing, cursing the roads and everyone on them (including myself) and catch myself staring at the scenery around me dumb-founded by its beauty.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 03:37:00 pm »
Nicely put Joe. I like it.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 04:50:20 pm »
We, as students, were unable to describe what it meant to be Canadian other than to say we weren't American. (We weren't saying we were better or worse, simply different.)

True, however, being from Upsate NY I always felt more of a kinship to the many Canadians I knew than I did to a fellow American from say Arkansas or Tennesee.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 08:49:43 pm »
It may seem corny, and I don't mean it to be...but I always think honest and trustworthy!  I think I watched too many Dudley DooRight cartoons as a kid.  

I always thought it would be so cool to be a Mounty (sp?).

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 09:37:11 pm »
I think attempting to define "Canadian" encompasses a number of things. We are a multicultural society that works very hard at creating equality. We are non aggressive and often considered too laid back which can be construed as a negative in certain environments. We're fun loving people that enjoy the outdoors and family takes precedent over everything.

We play as hard as we work and we listen to Kim Mitchell, Heart, BTO, Brian Adams, Rush, Tragically Hip, Neil young, Shania Twain and any other Canadian talent we can find! ;D

We respect nature and are learning to understand the fragility of it.

I don’t think that all of North America is much different and as we grow older, we tend to change our views on what’s important to us all. We tend to be more forgiving and look at life as a gift and the ability that we have to alter it as we venture through it. It’s difficult to stereotype a “people” as we are all greatly diversified in our thinking and yet much the same.

I feel very fortunate to live in this great country.

Steve

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 04:50:41 pm »
No, I think Rush was born in Cape Gerardo, Mo.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 05:13:27 pm »
...careful...I just might be the biggest RUSH fan around! ;D

Thanks for the replies, I have actually worked a few of your ideas into the 'fabric' of my paper ( taking full credit for all it of course) :)

Jc

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 05:15:34 pm »
I WANT A FOOTNOTE!

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 11:25:56 pm »
After living in several different countries during my life, and visiting at least twice as many
all I can say for sure is - - -

Canadians party the best!!!

also, they dont have to worry about their beer getting warm when the fridge breaks.    ;D ;D ;D

Word of advice - never drink beer or any other beverage from a boot with the toe pointed up.

r100rs

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 09:13:55 pm »
Hmmmmm.....

As far as being the biggest RUSH fan around I probably have you beat!!!!!

I have an original Permanent Waves album with the non deleted paper...hows that!

Trivia....what was the paper????

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 09:13:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42