What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Frozen lines !!  (Read 8553 times)

mhraracing

Frozen lines !!
« on: December 22, 2004, 06:37:42 pm »
Well guys I did everything that everyone suggested at my start up - and its still did not go smooth  >:(.

The temp got up to 50 degrees today - so I figured it would be a good day to fire it up.
The heater was on all day with the doors off and  I built a tent to retain the heat - so I started to filler up.

Once the water level got to the circ pump jet - I put the hose on the jet to 'prime the pump' and the water filled - but then created pressure - and shot back out -  This should have been my clue - but since I am a spa neubie - I didnt realize that when I put flow in there - water should flow all the way around - back into the filter.

So now the tub is sitting there with 58 degree water in it without the heater running - I put my tent back up and turned my ceramic heater back on - hopefully the water in it will thaw the rest of the lines out.

As for other who have posted that Watkins winterizes spas before delivery to cold area.......tell them about mine.

I will check it again in an hour or two - hope nothing burned up in the mean time !!!  >:(

Any suggestions ???
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 07:11:33 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

Frozen lines !!
« on: December 22, 2004, 06:37:42 pm »

xrdirthead

Re: Frozen lines !!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 07:22:34 pm »
I think Thursday and Friday are going to be a couple more mild days. Hopefully it will thaw and you'll be soaking soon.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 07:26:48 pm »
Does any water flow through anything at all?

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 09:06:52 pm »
I have thawed lines with a blow dryer before, another old trick is to remove the filter and standpipe for the circ pump (they used to be gray), take a hose from your hot water heater in your house, put it in the hole and run some hot water down there. Or remove the cap on the return and do the same thing....

mhraracing

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 09:11:57 pm »
Does any water flow through anything at all?

No - well - kinda - I pulled the outlet off the circ pump to make sure it was getting water and to bleed it and water flowed thru. I hooked up a wet dry vac to that hose and could not pull water thru or blow either. The circ pump hose is either frozen or there is another problem. Also - neither one of the main pumps push any water either. They click on and run - but no water out of any of the jets. The only thing that works is the air blower.

I just tried it again - hour ago - and the circ pump line is still blocked....then four dashes - - - - showed up on the main panel - meaning 'high limit thermostat tripped' - I had the portable heater blowing in the pump compartment for some time - so hopefully that was the problem this time ??

I button it all back up for now - I will give it one more shot before I got to bed so......if not tomorrow is supposed to be 50 degree and pouring rain....hopefully that will clear it up....if it is a freezing problem ???

Will the lines thaw by leaving the water in it.....and it being 50 tomorrow ?? or should I drain some water out and try filling it with warm water tomorrow after work ??
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 09:14:07 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 09:13:31 pm »
Are you sure that you just don't have an air lock? Have you tried to bleed the pumps?

mhraracing

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 09:15:28 pm »
Are you sure that you just don't have an air lock? Have you tried to bleed the pumps?

I bled the circ pump and water is flows to the pump - but the line going from the circ pump is stopped up.

I figured the circ pump was the right one to work on since it has the heater in-line ?

I was going to work on the main pumps - but ran out of light and warmth.......
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 09:16:38 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 09:20:49 pm »

I bled the circ pump and water is flows to the pump - but the line going from the circ pump is stopped up.

I figured the circ pump was the right one to work on since it has the heater in-line ?

I was going to work on the main pumps - but ran out of light and warmth.......

I would bleed the main pumps and get them working then they will heat everything else. It's not uncommon to have an air lock in the circ system past the pump while still getting water to the pump itself. HS used to have an air bleed system that connected all the pumps together so I would work on those jet pumps ASAP! It kinda sounds like an airlock....

mhraracing

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 09:45:16 pm »
I would bleed the main pumps and get them working then they will heat everything else. It's not uncommon to have an air lock in the circ system past the pump while still getting water to the pump itself. HS used to have an air bleed system that connected all the pumps together so I would work on those jet pumps ASAP! It kinda sounds like an airlock....

Hmmm - really ?? - Even when I cant blow thru or suck water thru the circ pump discharge line with my mouth or a shop vac ??
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 10:33:04 pm »
If you can some how get a jet pump going you can heat that spa up enough to kick on!

mhraracing

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 10:39:42 pm »
Well - holy icicles - I flipped the breakers again - and nothing.....but couldnt see the panel as the cover was covering it...and I hit jet pump 1 by mistake and - it worked !!!! So I let it run for about a minute...then shut it off....the circ pump still wasnt circulating.......then i saw slushy water came thru and started to flow !! - So I hit jet pump 2 - and nothing......

So now  I have the circ pump working and the tub already went up 2 degrees in 15 mins....and Jet pump one works.....it did sound like there was some air in it.

I am going to let the circ pump run for an hour or so...then I will go back out to see if 2 will work - if not...then I will bleed it tomorrow after work.

So - I am half way to spatopia.......I just wish it wasnt this hard.... :-/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 10:41:55 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 10:49:40 pm »
Well - holy icicles - I flipped the breakers again - and nothing.....but couldnt see the panel as the cover was covering it...and I hit jet pump 1 by mistake and - it worked !!!! So I let it run for about a minute...then shut it off....the circ pump still wasnt circulating.......then i saw slushy water came thru and started to flow !! - So I hit jet pump 2 - and nothing......

So now  I have the circ pump working and the tub already went up 2 degrees in 15 mins....and Jet pump one works.....it did sound like there was some air in it.

I am going to let the circ pump run for an hour or so...then I will go back out to see if 2 will work - if not...then I will bleed it tomorrow after work.

So - I am half way to spatopia.......I just wish it wasnt this hard.... :-/

FANTASTIC! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

mhraracing

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 10:57:43 pm »
Will there be any problem if I cant get pump 2 to work tonight ??? and I leave the spa on all night and tomorrow ?? Does the spa ever turn on and try to run pump 2 during its regular day ?? If it does....will it burn out ?? or overheat ??
Caldera Geneva Utopia

mhraracing

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 11:28:54 pm »
 WHOOOOOOOO  HOOOOOOOOOOO !!!  ;D  ;D   ;D  

SHE WORKS !!!!!!!

TOMORROW AT THIS TIME...OK MAYBE EARLIER......I WILL BE IN SPATOPIA......6 PM EST CANT COME SOONER !!!!!

Bottom line was - frozen circ pump and both pumps were frozen and air bound. When I cracked pump 2 to bleed it - slushy water and air came out.

I wish Watkins would winterize them before delivery to the North East.

Bed time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 11:29:22 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 01:08:38 am »
I'm glad it all worked out! Anytime you can get one pump running in a situation like this it will help warm the other pumps...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 01:08:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42