What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Africa CC Scam!  (Read 3377 times)

Phil

• Icefish daily, Hot Tub afterwards!
Africa CC Scam!
« on: February 05, 2005, 10:16:02 am »
Just wanted to remind everyone about the Africa Credit card scam.  They are calling stores, informing the store that they have a customer who needs to use teletype system.  They converse via teletype with you a bit, then you will be asked to exchange email addresses.

They will then place a large unusual order, example 5 300 Watt pool lights or 5 above ground pools.  You will be asked to ship them to Africa.  Even if you call the CC company to get authorization and receive authorization, it is a scam.  

This happened and the cc company was able to catch it in time before the items shipped.  My guess is someone is scamming companies out of products then selling the products underground somehow.

Anyways, this happened this week in Minnesota to 4 dealers that I know of, and I caught it before we shipped.  I caught it because I remember reading a post like this a few years ago.  

From my understanding, we would have been on the hook for the charges if we did not verify the name on the card.  Even thou we asked for and recieved the 4 numbers on the back by the signature.  I am just glad we called it in to the credit card company and asked before we shipped.

Hot Tub Forum

Africa CC Scam!
« on: February 05, 2005, 10:16:02 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Africa CC Scam!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 11:54:58 am »
Except for the US, Canada and western Europe I would HIGHLY advise anyone doing business with ANYONE they don't know to ONLY take payment via direct wire transfer.

I get a WIDE variety of similar scams and requiring a wire transfer always turns them away.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

saz

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 08:27:23 am »
I have to agree, The CC scam is apparently fraudulent use of real credit cards. What happens is that you put the card thro as NCP (no card present). The credit card company authorises the payment as the funds are there to be taken, but DOES NOT OFFER ANY SECURITY  that the credit card is a good one. This happened to my company, and we shipped over £10,000 worth of goods to Nigeria, before we were informed by the credit card company that it was fraudulent use of the card. Luckily, we used our own carriers so we were able to stop the shipment before it got to it's destination, but it's something everyone should be aware of anyway.
saz

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:37:24 am »
Similliar scams have been run on E-bay and scammed some sellers.   :P
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 09:20:45 am »
Good advice my Dad gave me years ago:  Don't do business with Niger, please.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 10:59:28 am »
Good advice my Dad gave me years ago:  Don't do business with Niger, please.

Terminator

NOW you tell me!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 10:59:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42