What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Home Theater  (Read 13839 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Home Theater
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:51:54 pm »
Ok, So now that the spa's been paid for for a while, and I just got done with a 2 year long project of finishing my basement, I decided to pop in a home theater setup.

I am going with a front projection system which will give me a screen size of about 96" diagonal.  It's amazing the screen size and quality you can get for the money.

My components should all arrive by Friday, so I'll have a lot to do this weekend setting things up.  In addition to installing the projector and all of the other components, I'm making my own screen.  

Hope to get in a little tubbing as well.

Anyone else out there have a projection setup, or any other home theater rig, for that matter?  

Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

Home Theater
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:51:54 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Home Theater
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 01:29:32 am »
Funny but a few years ago.....It was a business I thought about getting into....I used to work in Home Audio as well as Mobile DJ and Club equipment the gentleman I worked with started his own line of DJ equipment and is now the largest Manufacture of DJ/Club equipment  in the US....me with my great wisdom and for sight got into the Record business instead of staying with him....anyway....I was wondering....How are you making your own screen.....

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:27:57 am »
Still working out the details, but my plan so far is to construct a frame out of square aluminum tubing, using flat corner braces to connect the sides.  Then I will use blackout cloth or some other material for the screen surface.  There are several web sites that describe diy screen making.  It's one area where a substantial amount of money can be saved.  Ready made screens are suprisingly expensive.
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:52:16 am »
One of my favorite websites for parts - http://www.av-cables.net  Though the owner of the site is a Masterspa owner. ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 09:52:56 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 02:54:42 pm »
A few years back I had a housemate that bought a projection set up. We had no TV services it was soley for DVD/Video use. We projected it directly onto the off-white wall and plugged it into the surround stereo system. We also used if for event parties; I produced related movies and continually projected them in the dance room.  It was a fantastic experience, one that continues to be talked about. In my contemplation of Home Theater upgrading I've been considering the same.

His name was Bob and we called it...  Bobvision
e

k9smith

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 08:54:36 pm »
Take a look at www.avsforum.com they have a good group of people and info. I finished my home theater about 2 years ago and love it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 09:20:11 pm »
I have a cheap home theater setup - A Yamaha 6.1 receiver with BIC 32 speakers and an Audiosource Sub-woofer. Not the best but it sounds OK. I do have a graphic equalizer with a pink noise generator to compensate somewhat whatever the speakers were lacking for music but my Yamaha can't accommodate it.  As I grew older I got out of my "audiophile" stage.

The television is a Zenith (back when it was made in the USA) 27 inch television with I believe 700 lines of resolution. MY family room isn't too big so the 27 inch is OK probably 36 inch max would be fine. I have never been much of a videophile (although I do own an LCD television for the bedroom).

I originally wanted to use my older Polk speakers as the front R & L with newer Polks all around but didn't want to mount a "larger" speaker where it could fall and hurt a child.

Buy yourself some DVD music even if your DVD player doesn't support DVD audio (I believe it was a flash in the pan era). I have Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" in DVD and it's like your in the middle of the band! The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" Video is great too!

Use some good speaker wire - I used Monster cable (you never know if and when that audiophile bug hits again) and it's a pleasure to work with.

As far as the screen - I just saw a home show on TV that painted on the screen  to the wall. It is specialized paint made for  this purpose and you can make the screen any size. Sorry, I don't remember the paint manufacturers name.

Anyway have fun and enjoy.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 11:10:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I have been very busy poking around in avsforum.com- there is a wealth of info there, including the various paint techniques for screens.  
I've never grown out of the toy phase, and I don't see myself doing so for now.  
Tomorrow is the day most of the components are to be delivered.  Should make for a really busy (but fun) weekend.
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 02:03:02 pm »
We just converted our (24x24') garage into a home theatre. Unfortunately, I'm about to come to the decision point of moving my folks into that same space....

"Hey Dad! Can you and Mom get outta bed for a couple of hours? We want to watch a movie...."

So the room is ready, even prewired for power, Internet, phone and speakers - but we may not get to use it.

:-[
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 01:23:00 am »
Chas,

As much fun as the Home Theater would be... it sure does not beat having your folks around....it is a kind and generous thing to do and something that not all would do....enjoy the time with them.....

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 09:06:46 pm »
 Don't forget to pick equipment that will show off the full glory of High Definition TV. It's here now and it's awesome! (And Hi-Def DVDs are not too far away)

AVS forum is great, also HT guide.com and the Home Theater Spot forums.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 09:07:41 pm by johnvb »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 12:33:27 pm »
The projector I purchased is configured for hdtv.
Right now I'm trying to decide what to do for HD programming.  Our cable company seems to offer the best deal in the area for HD programming.  I've looked at Dish and Direct TV, and going HD with them would be more expensive, and offer less programming.
Direct is supposed to launch a couple satelites this year and broadcast everything HD, so I'll check back later in the year and re-evaluate.  But from what I've seen of HDTV so far, the difference is pretty remarkable.
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 12:53:29 pm »
I should say that we have a Sony STR DE-695 and a matching Sony NC665P 5- disc player. They can be operated off of ONE remote, and our older Sony VCR will also run off the same remote. That alone makes it a great system!! Sony has replaced the unit we have with the STR-DE997/B - more power and seven channels. Gimme a break!

This is a nice setup - we don't have all six speakers in the den yet, just four - but it can be set to run with that number of speakers and it's very good! Our neighbors seem to enoy it - they must, they call us all the time to ask us what on earth we are watching over there....

A hundred watts per channel, six channels total.

We have JBL speakers - the sub feeds off the sub out from the control unit.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 11:27:57 am »

I'm running JBL speakers, also.  

They seem like a good performing speaker for the money.
The reciever and the DVD/CD changer are Yamaha.
The projector is an InFocus SP5000.

I just built the screen last night.  The last thing I need is a component video cable long enough to reach from the projector to the reciever.  Can't get one locally, so I ordered it, and it should be here this Monday.  

Then I can finally get this system up to 100%.

Brewman
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 01:33:41 pm »
 We use Cox cable for HD, but in my area, they have not signed on with all the digital local broadcasters. So I also have an over-the-air HD receiver and Channel Master 4228 antenna, to pick up the other locals.

If you go with a dish system, the receivers can be connected to an antenna as well as the dish needed, and the local channels will be added into the program schedule. I’ve read that Dish network has the best product right now, Direct TV is compressing their signal too much.

Best thing is to go to the "local HDTV info and reception" at AVS and find the thread to your local group. Our area broadcast engineers participant in our group, with lots of helpful info.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 01:33:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42