What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Posting Pictures Using an Image Hosting Website  (Read 2829 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Posting Pictures Using an Image Hosting Website
« on: December 02, 2004, 05:12:44 pm »
Hi All:

I've seen a few questions on this and received 2 PMs, so I figured I'd do a 411/FAQ post.  These instructions will work for PCs using Windows operating systems, NOT Macs (sorry Mac users!).

Posting images on "What's the Best Hot Tub" forum is fairly easy, but you need to know a few tricks. First, you can't attach pictures to your post, no matter how hard you try.  Pictures can only come from a linked source (called a "URL" on the Internet). This might be another web page, your home page or a dedicated image posting host like Yahoo or ImageShack.

For forum and message board posting, I highly recommend ImageShack (thanks empolgation!).  Posting images is free, you don't get pop-up links and you don't need to register (except for an e-mail address if you want a FREE account). Most importantly, Imageshack will generate the code you need for posting pictures to this forum.

OK, so how does this work? Let's use ImageShack for the example. First, identify the picture you want to post on your computer. Make a "new" folder using a location easy to find under "MyDocuments" like "Posting," etc.  I recommend this because you won't be able to "see" the picture when selecting it. Put the pictures you want to post in the new folder. They should be about 1 MB or less in size.

Open your Internet Browser. Start a "new thread" in the Hot Tub Forum or respond to an existing message by clicking on "reply." A new message page will open where you type in your text. Minimize your browser.  

Open a second browser window by double clicking on the browser icon again. In this browser window, go the Imageshack site. Click on "Browse." Find the folder you created and the name of the picture you want to post.  Once you select the picture, the location of the picture will appear in the box next to "browse." Click "Host it!" below this box to upload the picture. After a few seconds, a page will appear with a bunch of computer code looking gobblygook and a thumbnail of your picture. At the top of this page, you will see the title "Hotlink your image on forums and message boards. (Use second link if the first one fails)" Using your mouse, click on the left box.  A bunch of the gobblygook in the box will highlight.  Hit "CTRL C" (or right click and "copy" using your mouse) on your keyboard to copy.

Next, click on the FIRST browser window you opened to return to the new message page for the Hot Tub Forum. Type in the text you want first, then position your cursor where you want the picture and press "CTRL V" (or right click and "paste" using your mouse) on your keyboard. The gobblygook should appear in the text area of your message.

For example:

Hey Windsurfdog, check out the picture of my tub:

(press CNTRL V and the following will appear)

[*IMG]http://bunch of gooblygook here[/IMG*]

--note that " * " will not appear, I'm using it to prevent the code from activating!--

What DAWG would see is:

OK, what about a BUNCH of images? To do multiple images, you should use THUMBNAILS to save bandwidth and download time. This is not a bad idea for regular pictures either, especially if they are BIG.  

Go back to the browser window displaying the ImageShack site. The ImageShack site also produces a thumbnail code that is provided on the page your image is displayed on after you uploaded it. Look for the box above the thumbnail image titled "Hotlink a clickable thumbnail on a forum or message board! (Use this link first)." Click on the "Copy URL" title to the left of the box with all the gooblygook.

Go back to the browser with the Hot Tub forum message, click on the spot in the message where you want the picture and press "CTRL V" (or right click and "paste" using your mouse). This time the following will appear:

[*url=http://a WHOLE bunch more gooblygook][*img]http://even MORE gooblygook][/img*][/url*]

What they would see is:

Posting multiple thumbnails is easy, just put a "space" between each code section you paste in the message and then hit "enter" after the third one. This will put three thumbnails on each line.

After you play around with this stuff, it becomes EASY! Use the "preview" button on the message to see if stuff works BEFORE you post.

So how do you "link" pictures from other websites AND change their size? For more information on linking pictures, click here to read another message thread. For the forum help file on posting, click here.

Good Luck!

Post questions if you have them...

Drewski

8)  

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 05:27:03 pm by Drewski »
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

Posting Pictures Using an Image Hosting Website
« on: December 02, 2004, 05:12:44 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Posting Pictures Using an Image Hosting Websit
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 05:18:04 pm »
Nice job dude, very helpful.

KUDOS
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 06:50:39 pm »
Way to go, Duuude!  And what a nice tub!  I'm heading to ImageShack on your (and empol's) recommendation.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:21:40 pm »
Excellent job Drewski!

Now I might have to get the digital camera fired up.

Brewman
Brewman

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 09:40:53 pm »
Well done Drewski!
Clear and complete - this should help folks with posting their images... come on now let's see those tubs :)
e

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 02:43:14 am »
Well done Drewski!
Clear and complete - this should help folks with posting their images... come on now let's see those tubs :)

here's one we did:

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 06:55:20 am »
Wow, Drewski, I am quite impressed!!!

I will have to print out the instructions!  They are very clear and concise!

Thanks!!!  A lot!!!  ;D
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 12:05:05 pm »
Y'all are SO nice.  Thanks!   :)

Drewski
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 12:05:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42