What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Air bubble in lines  (Read 7174 times)

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
Air bubble in lines
« on: November 24, 2004, 07:03:40 pm »
I just bought my first tub.  A Saratoga Spa - Victoria.  It is filled up.  @ of the three pumps work fine.  Pump #2 is not shooting out any water.  There is probably an air bubble in the line.  Does anyone have any adviec on how to get it out?

Hot Tub Forum

Air bubble in lines
« on: November 24, 2004, 07:03:40 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Air bubble in lines
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 07:07:03 pm »
You can pull the filter and put a garden hose down the hole trying to force water into the pump or there should be a bleed screw on the pump that you can open for a moment. If not loosen the collar on the top of the pump slightly until the air escapes.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 07:08:19 pm »
STUART! Always one step ahead!

I am thankful I am not selling in his neck of the woods.
Homeworks Financing Representative

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 07:22:15 pm »
Thanks.  Itried the garden hose and bleed valves - still nothing.  I need to get a bigger wrench and try loosening the collar.  Wish me luck.  By the way - any thoughts on the tub I bought?  I am a rookie to the spa game.

You can pull the filter and put a garden hose down the hole trying to force water into the pump or there should be a bleed screw on the pump that you can open for a moment. If not loosen the collar on the top of the pump slightly until the air escapes.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 07:33:04 pm »
Thanks.  Itried the garden hose and bleed valves - still nothing.  I need to get a bigger wrench and try loosening the collar.  Wish me luck.  By the way - any thoughts on the tub I bought?  I am a rookie to the spa game.

You can get a strapwrench from just about anywhere or if your careful put a dull chisel or screwdriver against the front right side of the collar and tap it loose with a hammer. Just be careful not to cut into it, you shouldn't have to loosen it more than a turn just until water and air come out. If water doesn't come out right away tap it with something.

Sam

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 09:08:05 pm »
Not sure if this helps but I had the same problem.  There was a plug in the side of the skimmer basket that I needed to remove when I was filling the tub.  Didn't do this because I didn't read the instructions close enough. :o

I unthreaded the plug ... heard the water filling the lines, ran the pump for a minute and replaced the plug.

Maybe the same as a bleed screw on the pump... not sure...

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 11:11:19 pm »
STUART! Always one step ahead!

I am thankful I am not selling in his neck of the woods.

I'm thankful I don't have to sell against any of you guys. lol

Spahappy :D

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 08:54:24 am »
This is interesting -- after my first water change I could swear that the jet pressure was significantly reduced -- I only have two pumps and they appear to be working ok -- is it possible that my 'performance' has been slightly comprimised by 'air in the lines' also - that is, does this type of thing usually occur during a water change?

Thanks in advance
Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 09:42:39 am »
Stuart - Thanks a ton.  In the darkness I need not see the bleed valve on the pump (I was thinking of the valves on the filter).  Went out this morning armed a ready to loosen the fitting and low and behold - a bleeder valve on the pump!  A turn or two and all 50 jets were working like magic.  Will be hopping in later this morning.  Happy Thanksgiving!!! :)

quote author=stuart link=board=wtb-hottub;num=1101341020;start=0#4 date=11/24/04 at 19:33:04]
You can get a strapwrench from just about anywhere or if your careful put a dull chisel or screwdriver against the front right side of the collar and tap it loose with a hammer. Just be careful not to cut into it, you shouldn't have to loosen it more than a turn just until water and air come out. If water doesn't come out right away tap it with something. [/quote]

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 09:45:16 am »
Although I am a rookie, my guess would be it coul dbe the same thing.  There are a bunch of guys on this board that have a wealth of knowledge.  Try and loosen a valve and see if that helps.  If not, psot a new topic so more posters see what your issue is.  Good luck.

This is interesting -- after my first water change I could swear that the jet pressure was significantly reduced -- I only have two pumps and they appear to be working ok -- is it possible that my 'performance' has been slightly comprimised by 'air in the lines' also - that is, does this type of thing usually occur during a water change?

Thanks in advance
Jc

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 10:00:16 am »

Thanks in advance
Jc

I am no expert, but this seems to  be a common problem!  When the guys came to set up my tub, they stressed to me many times to fill my tub through the circ pump filter, so that there would be no air in the lines!

It is worth a try!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 10:43:06 am »
Different spas have different problems in this regard. But I got a tip from this very board that might be a handy bit of into to store away -  I've never tried it myself.
A toilet plunger. If you own a spa that tends to trap air on startup, give the ol' plumbers helper a shot. I would imagine you might want to purchase a large volume type, and set it aside for use in the spa only ....

Depending on what type of tub you have, you may need to apply this to the suction fittings, a large jet, or even take out a filter and apply it to the fitting. For six bucks you can't really go wrong.

Another tip I got from this board was to start a syphon with a large-diameter hose such as a pool vac or even a shop vac hose. Work quickly to stick it over the appropriate fitting as water is going to be moving in a hurry. But most of these airlocks just require a little help to get things moving.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 10:43:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42