What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st water change  (Read 4570 times)

nicker

1st water change
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:41:39 am »
I plan on doing my first water change this weekend or next provideing mother nature is on my side.    Just wondering what everyone does after the water is drained.  What cleaner do you use to wipe the tub clean and do you have to wipe the entire tub down?  Whats the process?   Presently if I get a bit of a scum line I use this stuff I have called "prevent" Its a scale and scum preventer that I add each week already.  I was going to pour some of that on a cloth and wipe the tub down.  Is that the way to go?

Hot Tub Forum

1st water change
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:41:39 am »

salesdvl

Re: 1st water change
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 09:47:26 am »
that should be fine.  Unless you have stuff on the rest of the shell I woulnt worry about scrubbing the entire thing just the waterline.
Measure once, cut twice.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 10:28:31 am »
that should be fine.  Unless you have stuff on the rest of the shell I woulnt worry about scrubbing the entire thing just the waterline.

Once again I find myself in agreement with Salesdvl, especially on a new tub.  What kid of surface do you have smooth or textured?  Running a thumb down a smooth surface should give you an indication if it is still squeaky clean or not.   On my textured surface, I run a fingernail along it and see if it picks up anything.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 11:46:32 am »

Once again I find myself in agreement with Salesdvl....

I hate saying it too! :D
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hammerhead

• 95 degrees, 95% humidity, 102 degree tub ...
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 10:38:07 am »
I was looking at changing my water out the day after Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure if it's time.  How do I know exactly?  We've had the hot tub since October 11th.  My dealer keeps saying 3-4 months.  The DVD they gave me on maintenance says to use a formula based on number of users per day and gallons times something ...  Based on that formula I should be changing my water every 3-4 weeks, because we are in it EVERY day. ;D  I have also read somewhere that it is based on TDS (total dissolved solids).  Once it gets too high, change the water, but it didn't say what that magic number was.  The dealer says my TDS is now 1300, jumping from 600 in just one week.  More than doubled in one week?  My hand held TDS from work (I'm an analytical chemist) says it is 975 ... going up steadily over time, week after week, and not this humongous jump.

Anyway ... the water clears rather quickly after the jets are off.  There is some foaming, but the antifoam knocks it down rather well.  There is no bathtub ring, no scaling ... nothing visible to me.

Is there a magic "whatever" that says drain now?

Thanks,
Rod

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 01:57:04 pm »
i just did mine today to get ready for the winter. I just wiped it out good and dried it with a towel. Then filled it back up. Boy its nice to see realy clear water again. can't wait to jump in!! But thats not going to be for awhile cuz the water is 56 degrees brrrr :'(

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 02:02:43 pm »
Hammer,
I'd say changing it every 3-4 months is standard protocol whether checking TDS or not.  Then again, the least expensive and best chemical you can use is fresh water.  I would suggest you go ahead and make that first change now in order to have your own water chemistry from day one.  If your installers were like mine, they threw in a bunch of stuff and left.  I then followed with my own chemistry which I like a lot better than theirs.  After 6 weeks or so, I changed the water and liked it much better afterwards.  Also, changing now may be easier than in Dec./Jan.....bbbrrrrrr...... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

UnderTheStars

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 06:30:48 am »
Nicker - FWIW, after draining I go over the inside w/windex & a soft cloth.  Then I rinse really well w/hose & spray nozzle with the drain still open.  This seems to work well on my pearl finish shell.

Hammerhead - change your water now.  Otherwise you will hit 3 months early Jan (based on, ". . .had the hot tub since October 11th.")  If you do get caught "mid-winter" with yucko water you can drain half way/refill as a quick "interim" measure.  (Thanks to McCall & others who recently posted that trick, I hadn't thought of it.)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 08:59:38 am »
I was looking at changing my water out the day after Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure if it's time.  How do I know exactly?  We've had the hot tub since October 11th.  

Well, I usually try to change it after 2 months but before 3.  That said, I'll offer two other points.  Chas has mentioned his theory, which seems reasonable that new tub owners should change afte the first month. Experience says that is a good idea, but I'll let Chas defend it.

Now as far as knowing when to change, Go ahead and change it now, and I'll bet the first time you get back in the fresh tub you will notice a big difference. Take note and remember the feeling.   Water usually degrades at a slow pace and its easy to not see the changes day to day.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 09:14:24 am »
Looking to do my first full change next weekend or maybe Friday after Turkey day and we have had the tub since the 2nd week of August. I did do a partial change about 4 weeks and it made a big difference with foaming!! A trick definitely worth using again.
I will be tying the water change in with filter cleaning and new silver ion cartridge. But then if there are some great sales, I may have to have my husband do all this.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 10:10:14 am »
Chas has mentioned his theory, which seems reasonable that new tub owners should change afte the first month. Experience says that is a good idea, but I'll let Chas defend it.

Now as far as knowing when to change, Go ahead and change it now, and I'll bet the first time you get back in the fresh tub you will notice a big difference. Take note and remember the feeling.   Water usually degrades at a slow pace and its easy to not see the changes day to day.
Actually, what you said about the feel of new water is very true, and makes a pretty good 'defense' of the "Chas' Theory of Thirty Days."

You simply direct more attnetion to a new tub, and tend to add more of everything than you need.  I know you have tested your TDS and it's not overly high - but I would change it anyway. You mentioned foam - a change will help with that.

One reason to do this is the fact that most people's skin gives off more oil and dirt in the first few weeks. You can't get every pore from the neck down to open in any more effective way than to sit in a hot tub, and then when you add the jet action and the various sanitizing agents, you get quite a bit of 'stuff' in the water. This tends not to repeat itself unless you stop using the tub for a couple of months, or unless you invite my brother-in-law over for a soak.

Be sure to shut off the power before you drain.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 10:39:44 am »
Nick and Hammer:

JUST to give an alternate view (no disrespect to the distinguished individuals responding on this thread), I'd suggest NOT changing your water unless it's your last resort.

It sounds like your chemistry is good and the water is relatively "clean" (i.e. low foam), so what are you going to gain by changing water? If your like me and have lots of people using the tub, you're probably removing and adding water weekly anyhow.  Evaporation also takes some out.

The "key" to GOOD water is proper sanitation, regular shocking, CORRECT ph, calcium, TA, etc.  Keeping the water clean by using a clarifier and weekly filter washing is essential.  Foam, even a small amount, is an indicator of oils and other disolved products in the water that need to be removed.

Currently, I change my water once per year, usually in late spring.  I also do tub maintenance, inspection and cleaning at this point.  My water is almost always clear, never irritating to the skin and I DON'T use anti-foam (BTW, I also use Nature 2).

Anyway, just an alternative OPINION.  It may or may not work for you...

Good Luck!

Drewski

8)

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 11:15:46 am »
JUST to give an alternate view ...

Evaporation also takes some out.

Keep in mind that as water evaporates, it leaves behind it's load of chems and other TDS. It's a very slow version of 'boiling down,' as any chef is familiar with. Pure water leaves, junk stays.

Refilling from overflowing or splashing is another matter. If you change a little water all the time, you can end up with the same results. I had some tubs I used to care for weekly, and I simly didn't have time to change the water as needed. So I used a syphon vac each week, which cleaned the bottom and took the water level down about 2 inches. Refilling that much water each and every week kept the tub perfect for years.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 11:21:06 am »
For anyone living in a cold climate, I recommend a water change late November or early December.  That should get you to March/April and avoid a mid winter water change.  I wipe my shell down with a towel and apply spa gloss before filling.

Hammerhead

• 95 degrees, 95% humidity, 102 degree tub ...
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 04:57:28 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  Fortunatley I live in southwest Louisiana and changing water in the cold won't be a problem because ... well ... it doesn't get cold.   :)Unfortunatley we don't get the opportunity to soak in "hot tub weather".   :(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 04:57:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42