What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Balance Question  (Read 2966 times)

wjmeehan

Water Balance Question
« on: November 23, 2004, 08:04:43 am »
I just did my first water change, and my Alkalinity is high (test strips say 8.0+), and my PH is 7.8.  I have been adding PH reducer an ounce at a time (which is quite a bit) to try to pull the Alkalinity down, but it doesn't seem to come down.  I'm starting to get nervous about the amount of PH Reducer (acid) I'm putting in the water -- How much is safe?

Before trying to adjust the balance, I added calicum hardness increaser to counteract the water softener (see below).

Background:
I have a water softener because I'm on well water, and sitting over the richest iron deposit in the US, and untreated, the water actually looks like ice tea.  This system actually treats the water in three stages:  The first stage mixes a mild clorine solution with the incominmg water to have the iron participate, which is then filtered out, the second stage runs through a lime filter (crestite), and finally it is run through a water softener.

One person suggested I turn off the softener when I fill the tub, and add iron out to remove the stains -- I really don't want to stain this brand new tub.  Any opinions?

Hot Tub Forum

Water Balance Question
« on: November 23, 2004, 08:04:43 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Water Balance Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 10:15:02 am »
The reading on Alkalinity confuses me. That reading usually is in terms of PPM and a reading of (from questionble memory) should be in the 100-150 range so your reading of 8+ doesn't seem right.  I don't think there is a test strip out there than can read PH consistently enough to juddge when readings get close or change just a little.  Buy a $50 Taylor Test kit or a $15 HTH pool kit from Walmart as those readings are easier to see.

Check out many of the FAQ's and instructions with the test kit and notice the range of acceptable readings. Newbies generally make two mistakes.

1. don't try to get Ph and Alk to an exact reading, just get them both in the acceptable range.

2. After adjusting PH, (maybe alk) wait at least a day to recheck or you will end up over correcting.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

poolboy34

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 11:48:15 am »
A few questions:

What are you going to be using as your sanitizer??

Have you brought a sample of your source water (water used to fill the tub) to the dealer for analysis?

Have you brought a sample of Spa water to your dealer for analysis??

steve771

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 11:51:47 am »
I'm thinking your TA (total alkalinity) you are reporting is 80+, not 8.0+.  My test strips show 80-120 as the ideal.  I also had high pH, but my TA was high as well.  I just kept working at it (adding pH down every day or so) until I got it close (pH about 7.6-7.8 & TA about 90).  So for your situation, I don't know, maybe one of the pros here can weigh in.   As far as the acid question, I would think that what you are doing is balancing the water, so I wouldn't look at it as adding acid like you are going to melt away when you enter the water.

I did switch from strips to the Taylor test kit.  It's very nice, but maybe a bit much for the average user.  You could probaby get away with a cheapo liquid test kit as an alternative (or supplement) to strips.  

wjmeehan

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 02:15:42 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.

As for my sanitizer, I'm using the Frog (bromine).  

As for the samples, yes I got an analysis done on the tap water, and I just got back from the shop where they did an analysis on the current water.  

As it turns out, I was not that far off with the amount of PH decreaser that I added.  I was worried because I had to add twice the amount of PH decreaser that was originally recommended based on the analysis of the tap water.  In fact, I need to add just a little more (2 Tbs), and 2 tbs of calicum hardness increaser.

The idea of a liquid test kit sound like a really good idea, The TA color guide on my test strips all seem too close to distinguish the correct reading.  Will a cheapo liquid test kit be easier to distinguish the TA?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 02:25:33 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.
The idea of a liquid test kit sound like a really good idea, The TA color guide on my test strips all seem too close to distinguish the correct reading.  Will a cheapo liquid test kit be easier to distinguish the TA?
Yes, but be sure you don't wind up with the little two-way test kits. They only do Chlorine (or Bromine) and pH, not TA.

Also - pick one and stick with it. Ever had two watches.....
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

steve771

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 03:10:18 pm »
Also - pick one and stick with it. Ever had two watches.....

lol, Chas, I was given the test strips when I bought the spa, bought a cheapo test kit (it does all the major tests), and then got the Taylor.  I use one here and there.  They all give very close results to one another.  I know it's overkill, but it gives me confidence, if that makes sense?  And once I run out, I will settle on one method, probably the Taylor.  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 03:10:43 pm by steve771 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 03:10:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42