What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is spa cover treatment really necessary? (and other useless products)  (Read 1107 times)

BobbyM

I am a new spa owner trying to decipher the difference between the truly important things one needs to keep everything clean versus the many useless and overpriced products out there. For instance, I am wondering if spa cover treatment is really important or not. It seems ridiculous but maybe I am overlooking something important.

If the regional climate matters, I live in Boston.

What other products are your list of useless or overpriced things that are marketed to new spa owners? For instance, what about filter flosser brushes, etc.?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 11:16:04 am by BobbyM »

Hot Tub Forum

d00nut

Re: Is spa cover treatment really necessary? (and other useless products)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 01:06:16 pm »
Personally, I think cover treatment is important.  Unless you like buying new covers.

What I would put in the absolutely necessary product category in terms of watercare products:
  • Sanitizer
  • Oxidizer
  • Scale Control
  • ph up and down and test strips
  • Filter cleaner/li]
    • Cover conditioner

Everything else can help, stuff like phosphate removers, clarifiers, anti-foams, scum balls, etc... but aren't necessary.

For instance, I have all of the above, but seldom use it.  Filter flosser... I don't personally use, don't care to.  I have a great hose nozzle.  Spa scents, I know a ton of people like them, I don't... and they just make the spa more foamy.

Spa trays, I don't understand why people keep buying them.  They never sit right, and are inconvenient to put on and off.

Accessories that are necessary IMO... Lifter, Steps, maybe a handrail, depending on the user

cranbiz

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 01:41:05 pm »
I didn't think a handrail was important until I got one. My wife and myself are getting older and the handrail is a necessity for us. Even the 7 year old grand daughter uses it. It's a safety item as far as I'm concerned.

For what a good spa costs, the handrail is a miniscule add on.

As far as other necessary chemicals and such. the list d00nut provided, I agree with 100%

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 05:34:37 pm »
Type of hand rail is important. We stopped installing hand rails that attach directly to the spa cabinet. If you want a hand rail buy one that is part of a secure step. JMO

Davekro

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 05:51:03 pm »
I'll chime in. I believe that applying a good UV vinyl protectant like 303 will increase how long your cover lasts. I have a bottle of 303, but am often guilty of not taking the time to apply it until I SEE the vinyl looking a bit dry... my bad! If you can apply vinyl protectant 2–3 times a year, that's best. If not, at least once per year (if you forget like me!).

Threads in the vinyl, especially at the center fold area... Once those threads start to deteriorate, your cover is on borrowed time. Maybe make a point to just do a quick spray on the center fold area a couple of times per year. Actually, I'm trying to convince myself here. LOL

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 05:51:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42