What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beachcomber Ozonator, How good???  (Read 9562 times)

Zoo

Beachcomber Ozonator, How good???
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:39:56 pm »
Hi All,

I have read your posts on ozonators with interest. The debate over UV vs CD, and whether the ozonator will stay on when the jets are on high will probably wage on until some scientific water studies are done (any takers in the industry?). Based on what you have told me through reading your posts is that a system needs to expose the water to ozone for at least 21-22 seconds for the ozone to get into the water and not off-gas too much.
  My question is this, with Beachcomber's scepticism towards ozone, just how effective is their system ???? Does anyone know how long the ozonator "treats"  the water? I have been having trouble getting answers to these questions from my local dealer. They spend more time trying to talk me out of ozonators in general than actually explaining how their system works!

As always your information and feedback is appreciated...

Zoo

Hot Tub Forum

Beachcomber Ozonator, How good???
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:39:56 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Beachcomber Ozonator, How good???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:52:07 am »
My experience seems to contradict the experiences of ZZtop and ZZphod (whats up with Beachcomber guys and the letter Z?), I found the ozone system on the Beachcomber, even with the hush pump, to leave enough live ozone to stink. The stink will shorten the life of the cover and pil...forgot no  Pillows!

If you are loking at the Beachcomber and ozone definitely go with the hush pump.

HTMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

Pooldevil

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 09:27:02 am »
If you can smell ozone when you lift the cover than either the system is not working correctly or its a badly designed tub .... ;)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 10:10:30 am »
Hey Zoo,
I don't believe it has anything to do with the "quality" of their system over others but more the effect ozone in general has and the benefit to the end user. Beachcomber uses a a CD unit which IMO is superior to the UV. They also utilize a mazzi injector and mixing chamber much like other quality spas. They just aren't sold in general that it makes a significant difference and is worth the cost. Ozone certainly isn't needed to have quality water.
You can always call their head office and ask to speak to someone in the tech department to find more details as well.

I am going to disagree slightly with pooldevil in that when the cover is removed, it's uncommon to smell ozone initially. Common sense dicates that and chemcial is being "trapped" within an 8X8 area and releases when the cover is removed. Many companies use the selling tactic that ozone smells fresh in spa water. It's a selling feature believe it or not. Not unlike chlorine or bromine, chances are good that you're going to smell it when the cover is removed. After 10-15 seconds, the smell should be gone.

I have yet to be around a spa that has ozone and not smell it while running. Maybe they've all had crappy ozone systems? ???

Steve
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 10:12:11 am by Steve »

Zoo

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 04:18:34 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response. How long is the ozone contacting with the water in Beachcomber's system? How long is their contact chamber? In your previous experience with Beachcomber how pany of your customers had ozone versus no ozone? Did you find the ozone system helpful in reducing foaming etc secondary to soaps and such coming off of user's skin? I don't believe ozone to be a cure all or anything; but I think that it may be beneficial in reducing soaps and other things which chlorine/bromine may be less able to oxidize.
    What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Zoo

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Ozination
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 05:22:00 pm »
My experience seems to contradict the experiences of ZZtop and ZZphod (whats up with Beachcomber guys and the letter Z?), I found the ozone system on the Beachcomber, even with the hush pump, to leave enough live ozone to stink. The stink will shorten the life of the cover and pil...forgot no  Pillows!

If you are looking at the Beachcomber and ozone definitely go with the hush pump.

HTMan

IMHO, Beachcomber is not bullish on Ozination.  I believe they are not convinced of Ozinator safety and cost effectiveness.  Beachcomber offers ozination mainly because of Market pressure.  They seem to think that their Purezyme, enzyme additive, together with a chlorine or bromine regimen works just as well without any possible health hazards.

On my tub, 550x the mixing tube is just 6 feet long,  in other designs I have seen mixing tubes as long as 25 feet.

Ozination works best when used in conjuction with a 24/7 dedicated circulating pump, (Beachcomber calls theirs a Hush pump), as the ozination is exposed to the water continuously, 24 hours a day.

Ozination does help to reduce the TDS, Total Disolved Solids, by not having to use as much chemicals to maintain water quality.  But it should not be a major factor in deciding whether to purchase Ozination or not.  Water Quality is just as good in Spas that do not use Ozination as long as the manufactures water maintenance directions are followed..  Most new Hot Tubs are sold as "Ozone Ready", and  an Ozinator can be added later if you wish , perhaps when better systems are developed and proven of greater benefit.
In other words you may have to change your water slightly more often if you are not using Ozination. (Depending on bathing load, the average period being three months).

Yes Ozone gas as well as chlorine can have a deleterious effect on your Hot Tub Cover.  Using a Spa Blanket can help decrease this.  See my thread:
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1097571369

On everything I have read on Ozination, in theory it appears to be a good idea, however there is no definitive proof (that I can find), on how effective it really is in Hot Tub applications.  You can buy a lot of chemicals for the price of an ozinator.

It is expensive to buy and to maintain.

With all that said, I do have Ozination on my Hot Tub.  I expect to have to replace it after 2 years of Service at a cost of $150 - 200 cdn.

There have been some new developments in Ozination recently.  Marquis is using a plasma UV system (made by Balboa), which appears to have a long life cycle (Up to 7 years).  

It is early in the development cycle and we will have to wait and see if Ozination is the right system for Spas in the long term.

Marketing seems to drive the popularity of Ozination, but only in the long term are we going to learn if it is truly beneficial.

Regarding Spa Pillows.  I am not an advocate for them as they tend to be expensive, high maintenance items which are subject to degradation from chemicals in the water as well as ozone.  If you check the warranties you will find they have a very short warranty period and cost from $25 to $50 each to replace.  I am for easy maintenance and low cost upkeep.  Beachcomber and Marquis are two Manufactures who were wise in not using Pillows.

Regards, Zz
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 07:04:35 pm by ZzTop »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Ozination
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 10:46:14 am »

Regarding Spa Pillows.  I am not an advocate for them as they tend to be expensive, high maintenance items which are subject to degradation from chemicals in the water as well as ozone.  If you check the warranties you will find they have a very short warranty period and cost from $25 to $50 each to replace.  I am for easy maintenance and low cost upkeep.  Beachcomber and Marquis are two Manufactures who were wise in not using Pillows.

Regards, Zz

I have to jump in on this pillow thing. As a former Beachcomber dealer I understand 100% what you saying and where it is coming from.

That said, I could be walking in much more durable and cost effective wooden or acrylic shoes. Instead I wear rubber souled shoes. These shoes are disposable. They are a constant maintenance cost. I feel that my comfort out weighs this cost. Others may enjoy walking around in wooden clogs (no ofence to our dutch friends), but they are not for me.

My shoes have virtully no warrnty either.

HTMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Ozination
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 10:46:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42