What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's The Deal With Fibreglass Floors?  (Read 6497 times)

Zoo

What's The Deal With Fibreglass Floors?
« on: October 09, 2004, 01:22:12 pm »
Hi All,

I was just wondering just how important a fibreglass style floor is to a hot tub (e.g. Marquis Durafloor, Artic Forever Floor, Jacuzzi Premium version of same) ???. It seems to make sense to me from a longevity/ keep insects, bees etc out of base perspective.
Why have some of the mainstream, longterm manufacturers such as Watkins and Beachcomber abstained from offering this as an option or standard feature on their tubs.
I would love to hear some feedback and debate about the relative benefits of this feature.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts...

Hot Tub Forum

What's The Deal With Fibreglass Floors?
« on: October 09, 2004, 01:22:12 pm »

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
Re: What's The Deal With Fibreglass Floors?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 01:59:53 pm »
Nice but not needed. Nothing is going to keep insects out. All spas even those with abs or fiber glass bases have ventilation openings where critters can and will get in. Jacuzzi was the first ,and only company for a looong time to put a fiber glass base on their tubs. About 7 years ago they switched to abs plastic because it is less expensive and more durable. Any way you look at it I don't think that should be a major factor iin your purchase. Jets, variety, placement and performance, and service from the seller are vastly more important. Good luck.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Mr._Happy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 04:53:45 pm »
.I can't agree more with Wisoki on this one. :-* But let me tell you a true story. One day I had to go for some technical training for my job and had a conversation with the corporations Technical Training Director(This is a major HUGE international company). I spoke with this gentleman about some of the problems we have been experiencing with their product. To me the problem was an easy to solve thing but for some reason the corporation chose to just put a band-aid on it and cover it up until the customer was out of warranty. Basically what he told me is that the product was engineered very well but when engineering was finished in the design the product was turned over to the accounting staff who had the job of pricing it to a certain price point that the market would allow for. In order to have this wonderfully engineered product make it to market they needed to cut costs in manufacturing. They sent it back to engineering three times. 1. Build it cheaper 2. Build it cheaper yet 3. Build it cheaper still. That's how they chose to do business. If they could save $5 on every one they made they figured the cost savings would be worthwhile in compared to warranty costs. This is a product that probably many of you may own. I figured at one time if they were to put in maybe another 0.3% of the total retail price into there product they would have perhaps the best available product for the money. I did not like their philosophy so I moved on. To think that this does not go on in this industry is foolhardy. The more I learned the clearer my choice became
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 12:02:17 am by Mr._Happy »

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 07:27:14 pm »
Zoo,

Thanks for you question.  Those dealers that don't sell the products that have the fiber glass base will certainly sell against it.  Those of us that have it will sell the pros.

I sell one of the brands that does have the bottom.  After taking many spas in on trade without the bottom and seeing the wood rot (10 yr. old spas), I am convinced that the fiber glass bottom will give you a longer lasting spa.  Keeping the wood from rain, snow, etc is the goal fo the bottom and not so much insects or pests.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 09:18:43 pm »
Nice but not needed. Nothing is going to keep insects out. All spas even those with abs or fiber glass bases have ventilation openings where critters can and will get in. Jacuzzi was the first ,and only company for a looong time to put a fiber glass base on their tubs. About 7 years ago they switched to abs plastic because it is less expensive and more durable. Any way you look at it I don't think that should be a major factor iin your purchase. Jets, variety, placement and performance, and service from the seller are vastly more important. Good luck.

I see your argument, however I have a counter. Cars are safe without air bags. An air bag does not guarantee that you will survive a car crash. Does this mean airbags are pointless? I know we are not comparing apples to apples here but the cost of an ABS/fibergalss base is not nearly as high as an airbag either. It is an extra form of protection.

I do agree with you that there are more important factors to consider, but I do not think that the feature is without value.

HTMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

Zoo

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 12:35:15 pm »
Hi All,

Thank you for your responses. I definately agree with Wisoki that jetting, performance, service etc are the most important factors to consider when I purchase my tub. However, some features such as ozone (another topic I will post later), and ABS/fiberglass floors may have some significance.
 I had a vinyl fence installed in my backyard four years ago when I bought my house. The fence is still mint and looks brand new. My one neighbour put in a pressure treated fence and lets just say it doesn't look so new anymore. A tub sitting on the ground in Canadian weather with humidity, chemicals etc is bound to sustain extensive rot over time. That being said there are a lot of happy Beachcomber and Watkins owners with elderly spas still going strong. Maybe its not too big of a deal. Are some people having new wood put onto the bottom of their spas every 5-10 years?
The concept of a "synthetic" floor just seems to make sense. I would certainly pay a premium for it if Watkins or Beachcomber offered it. However, the lack of one will not sway me from either brand if they ultimately win our wet-testing.
Any other comments on this? Have some long time spa owners had the bottom of their spas serviced, or "re-floored "  if you will.

Thank you as always for your opinions and help! :D

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 12:43:00 pm »
Zoo,

Consider that most all companies today use a synthetic siding on the spa for many reasons.  One of which is it doesn't rot.  Should the part of the spa exposed to water the most have better protection?  This is only one feature that should be considered with others that you should measure in an effort ot meet your specific needs.   Jetting, performance, service, energy eff., etc. are all vital.  You must determine which are most important to you, test soak, ask for referrals from the local dealers and then decide.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Zoo

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 12:56:33 pm »
Hi Rocket!

Thank you for the response. I forgot to mention that synthetic skirting on a hot tub is a must for our final decision. Service, quality, performance in wet testing is paramount to our decision. Right now we have D1, Marquis, Watkins (Tiger River and Hot Springs, not Caldera), and Beachcomber as our primary targets. Ultimately wet testing and feedback from people such as your self will get this all decided.

Jordy

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 11:20:47 pm »
Hi Zoo,
Which models in particular are you considering? I started my hot tub career selling Beachcomber, then HotSpring. IMO they are both good products for different reasons. I thought the Beachcomber tubs were good value for the money, but between the two (HotSpring vs. Beachcomber), overall I would say that HotSpring is a better built machine. I'm curious, why didn't Jacuzzi make your short list? They build with an ABS base, which Beachcomber and HotSpring don't. As a dealer, I have found that consumers really like this feature and I hope that in the future more manufacturers choose this typre of design because I view it as a plus (having seen the underside of hot tubs that are completely exposed to the elements). I agree that this feature should not be the deciding factor in your purchasing decision, but get it if you can.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 01:29:54 am »
I like the feature, though I sell a spa which does not come with it.

If you are really concerned about direct contact, choose a spa you like first. Then, if it doesn't have a hard bottom - hmm, may have to rethink my wording there - you can set it on blocks, shims, small sections of acrylic, or even a large pc of plastic.

I have my spa in a low spot in my yard. It will be drained better when I complete some work in the future, but for now, every time it rains hard the tub ends up sitting in about a quarter-inch of water for an hour or so after the rain stops. Fortunately it hasn't rained that hard since last year, since I live in paradise. When it does I'll be ready. I got a whole box of EZ Shims - which are plastic - and I tacked a couple dozen to the bottom of the tub before we set it down. I covered just about every piece of wood completely.

It didn't take long with an electric staple gun, and the tub sits up just enough to allow it to breathe, yet still be supported in the manner in which it has become accustomed. I've done this before, and the shims can be pulled off when I go to sell the tub. Keeps the bottom looking all nice and fresh for the next owner as well.

EZ Shim
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Zoo

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 12:16:52 pm »
Hi Jordy & Chaos,

Thank you for your responses! Jordy, I had a less than ideal experience with the local Jacuzzi dealer on my first visit. The other thing that concerned me a bit is reports I have read about the plumbing manifolds being problematic on the premium line. Perhaps you could give some feedback on this. I realize that with any product that some will go out with defects. There are many people out there with Watkins products that have failed in the field; but were dealt with. Is Jacuzzi pretty good with warranty issues? How does there manifold system work? I think I will take another look before I cut them from my short list.
 Chaos, Thank you for the great idea! I had not thought of that. I will definately do something like that if I end up getting a tub without an ABS style base.

Thanks!

Zoo :D

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 01:11:50 pm »
You could always use one of the new spa pads, even if on top of a concrete pad.  It would be the same as a plastic base.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 01:23:15 pm »
After a car experience I get concerned about a "closed system".  I acquired a Mustang with the gas tank fix from the rear ended Pinto fiasco.  Ford installed a plastic shield under the tank to "protect" it.  Now the tank simply rusts out as water gets trapped beteen the shield and the tank.  

I feel better letting the bottom of the spa breathe to get rid of moisture.  

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 02:29:25 pm »
I didn't say it was with out value, just not worth putting much weight into.

I see your argument, however I have a counter. Cars are safe without air bags. An air bag does not guarantee that you will survive a car crash. Does this mean airbags are pointless? I know we are not comparing apples to apples here but the cost of an ABS/fibergalss base is not nearly as high as an airbag either. It is an extra form of protection.

I do agree with you that there are more important factors to consider, but I do not think that the feature is without value.

HTMan

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Jordy

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 11:39:01 pm »
Hi Zoo,
Sorry you got off on the wrong foot with your local dealer. I hope that get's worked out so you can seriously look at the Jacuzzi Premium Spa. I think it's a very well built machine and apparently many consumers agree, as Jacuzzi has experienced tremendous growth over the last three years.
I checked into it and yes, you are right, Jacuzzi had a manifold problem with a small number of Spas that were manufactured in the Summer of 2003 with incorrectly-sized clamps. The cause was identified and corrected by the company immediately. Hope this helps.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 11:39:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42